Four Bama football players arrested, are dismissed from team

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Re: Four Bama football players arrested - was progress of Eddie Williams & B. Callowa

I'm almost scared to ask.

This whole situation is really infuriating. I would absolutely die to have a free ride through a great university like Alabama. Let alone the opportunity to play for a coach like Nick Saban. I understand however, a lot of mistakes can happen at that age. I'm sure there is not one of you that has not had a lapse in judgement at one time or another. This doesn't make them had people. That being said, I believe Coach hates that this happened, I can't imagine how disappointed and upset he may be right now. Whatever happens next, may these young men please open their eyes and get it together.
It's one thing to have a lapse in judgement. It's an entirely different thing to beat an innocent victim for a laptop and a credit card.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Re: Four Bama football players arrested - was progress of Eddie Williams & B. Callowa

I hope some of our fan base will keep their mouths shut in the future, when other schools go through this same thing.
Much like the people in NY and the rest of the NE now have a better understanding (after Sandy) of what the citizens in the South (I lived in Pensacola 3 years and Mobile 14 years) go through when a Hurricane hits. No fun and games there, is it? Well, now, thanks to this incident, we must accept a little more humility in that even Bama's heralded program can run into issues, through no fault of the vast majority of the Bama Nation. We've become so used to Bama's kids making us so very proud over the past few years that this will be hard to swallow. We all knew that this type of behavior would not, and will not, be accepted by CNS or the University. Now, to have it slammed right down our throats by those we thought understood what was expected of, and agreed to, by them is disappointing to say the least. At the most, devastating to the image and expectance of what we know as the University of Alabama. (And no, I was not fortunate enough to attend any University, much less Alabama. Don't hold it against me, not everyone has choices about what they can, or can't, do with higher education.)

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006

You never know what goes thru the minds of young guys.
If the charges stand up, it's a shame.

Makes you long for the days of Football Dorms, Football Cafeteria ect...
We had a little more control over the players when things were more regimented.

Guess the 'BAMA BASHERS' will come out in full force. :(
It's gonna be a long hard Summer.

It would be a good time for all the other players to 'Lay Low',
and avoid the wrath of Coach Saban.
I was at the University when all players were in the Dorms and trust me that did not prevent them from doing stupid stuff. They were at times arrested and I saw some bad behavior back then as well. Drinking, drugs and fighting by some that you would have never believed would be doing those types of things. I will not name names so dont ask.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I'm normally hold the opinion of "let's wait and learn the details before we act" --

This seems pretty clear -- I think Coach should have them removed from the team immediately. The school should send them home immediately. And a decision needs to be made as to their futire within the next 24-48 hours max.

Also -- if I'm one of the students that got attacked -- do you press charges for the assault? What type of pressure will that unleash upon them?

Crazy --

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

Joe Namath's "lapse in judgement" circa 1962 - Coach Bryant catching him smoking. These guys "lapse in judgement" circa 2013 - beating down and kicking fellow UA students to get their money, cc and laptop. This is no "lapse in judgement", this is thuggery, plain and simple.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Nothing too crazy, lots of no matter what I'm with my dogs, don't rush to judgment, you don't know us etc. Kurt Freitag has taken to blasting me with insults over the situation. No matter what they want to say they probably shouldn't speak on this issue.
You handled that very well. Think a coach will read this too?

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

(Assuming they're all guilty as reports say they have admitted to being)

Time for these 4 idiots to go wherever it is that stupid people go. They should be kicked out of school on honor code violence violations so there's no chance of Them ever being on another Bama team. Don't even try and chalk it up to kids being kids. Sorry (not really) but I have zero tolerance for this stuff.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Are these kids doing this for pocket money? It's totally illegal and I'm not defending them, however, if they are doing it for pocket money to buy snacks, it's really sad.
They needed something with lots of ingredients.................like Sour Cream and Salsa Pork Rinds.

I bet the rest of their defense goes something along the line of "It was only a minor tolchocking...........he was breathing when I left...........I swear it...............", etc.

(Trying to add levity to something that is not funny at any level.)

Obviously, I am not in charge, because I would have already gone "Dean Wormer" on them.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Just stop it, man. Stop. It.
No

I've discussed the issue before, and I'm not going to change my opinion all of the sudden because of this incident. It's not justification in favor of a stipend or against it, and I said like three different ways that there was no excuse, but stipends were taken away from college athletes and they should be entitled to them. It's not right that their benefits as a student athlete went down, as earnings went up.

When I was around 13, I started taking lunch money from my dad. He'd leave change lying around, and he's taken away my allowance, didn't give me lunch money, and I didn't get a lunch packed or that sort of thing. However, there was food in the fridge. Had I taken the time, I could have and should have just figured out something to pack for my own lunch.

So, was what I did justified? No, it wasn't. However, had I been given lunch money, I wouldn't have done it. I didn't take money to buy useless crap, I did it because I was hungry. When I wasn't living with my dad, I just went without lunch. Once again, no lunch money, no packed lunch, and I should have just packed my own lunch, but I wasn't going to take anything from people letting me live with them. Kids don't always make wise choices or think very far ahead.

To reiterate for the fifth time, it's not an excuse, but common sense and my life experiences tell me that yes, stipends could prevent some incidents of this sort. That's reality, it doesn't justify crime, if someone tries to rob me I'm more inclined to shoot them than ask why they're doing it, but I am tired of people trying to demonize stipends which is something others on scholarship are entitled to.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

Folks, this is no “mistake”
This is no “lapse of judgment”
This is a criminal act perpetrated by members of the team. They attacked 2 fellow students and robbed them. They have all admitted to police what they have done. Coach Moore, I think now is the appropriate time to kick their tails off of the team and out of school. Alabama does not need these 4 idiots roaming around the campus!
This literally makes me sick.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl

No

I've discussed the issue before, and I'm not going to change my opinion all of the sudden because of this incident. It's not justification in favor of a stipend or against it, and I said like three different ways that there was no excuse, but stipends were taken away from college athletes and they should be entitled to them. It's not right that their benefits as a student athlete went down, as earnings went up.

When I was around 13, I started taking lunch money from my dad. He'd leave change lying around, and he's taken away my allowance, didn't give me lunch money, and I didn't get a lunch packed or that sort of thing. However, there was food in the fridge. Had I taken the time, I could have and should have just figured out something to pack for my own lunch.

So, was what I did justified? No, it wasn't. However, had I been given lunch money, I wouldn't have done it. I didn't take money to buy useless crap, I did it because I was hungry. When I wasn't living with my dad, I just went without lunch. Once again, no lunch money, no packed lunch, and I should have just packed my own lunch, but I wasn't going to take anything from people letting me live with them. Kids don't always make wise choices or think very far ahead.

To reiterate for the fifth time, it's not an excuse, but common sense and my life experiences tell me that yes, stipends could prevent some incidents of this sort. That's reality, it doesn't justify crime, if someone tries to rob me I'm more inclined to shoot them than ask why they're doing it, but I am tired of people trying to demonize stipends which is something others on scholarship are entitled to.
Far as I'm concrned, you're part of the problem. You are justifying a criminal and a criminal action. Nothing more, nothing less. If you're cool with that, so be it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I feel like we are the Miami Hurricanes of the SEC now
It was a single incident. A pretty sorry, sad incident, but still a single occurrence. Auburn's armed robbery seemed to involve more people, and be worse, but that's kind of like comparing a car wreck to a train wreck. Both are bad.

As to the calls for player's dismissals, I don't think there's any question that most, if not all of the people involved will be kicked off the team. People just need to allow Saban and the University time to act, there's a legal aspect to how you handle certain things, and they should exercise due diligence before they take action, but if there are admissions of guilt, it's hard to imagine any of them being in the team longer than a few more days.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Far as I'm concrned, you're part of the problem. You are justifying a criminal and a criminal action. Nothing more, nothing less. If you're cool with that, so be it.
Then you didn't read what I said, or didn't understand it. I didn't bring up "paying players", I didn't defend them in what I originally said, and I said three times it's not an excuse. You can think what you want, and misrepresent what I said, but I think saying three times it's not an excuse is not my justifying criminal actions.

if they are all guilty, you're better off without them around.
Obviously, crying poverty is not a valid excuse for robbing people, and these athletes can't really cry poverty anyway. They are well taken care of.
So, when you analyze this situation, there is no justification for the actions.
These players have no excuse
Yeah, I really sound like I'm cool with it, huh?

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Forget the team..............they don't belong on campus.

My niece started UNT, this fall. The thought that 4 morons, 3 times her size, could be roaming the halls, beating the stuffing out of someone, for just some "lunch money" makes me sick.

The reports are this is more than just a "Hand me your lunch money" criminal act. They are thugs, and no amount of coddling will change that.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

No

If they want pocket money, quit the team, get a job, and have pocket money.....
If they want a free education, a chance to play in the pros, and eat better than my family does (3x/day - 7days/week on campus) -- then they should do what they PROMISED they'd do when they signed their LOI.....

Last edited:

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

Many is the time I have seen threads on here condemning and making fun of other schools for players committing such actions as these. I often wondered how long it would be before their words come back to haunt them.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
If they want pocket money, quit the team, get a job, and have pocket money.....
If they want a free education, a chance to play in the pros, and eat better than my family does (3x/day - 7days/week on campus) -- then they should do what they PROMISED you'd they'd do when they signed their LOI.....
Boom. The idea of these guys as destitute is harder and harder to believe when you see the facilities at school and follow them on twitter.

Regardless these guys Didnt do this cause they Didnt have food to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.