Four Bama football players arrested, are dismissed from team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Re: Four Bama football players arrested...

My opinion:

For the last 6 years, fans of other teams and haters of CNS have hammered on how (supposedly) quickly our coach is to dismiss players or force them out as part of "The Process", yet we seem to be getting the opposite reaction for this one situation. So... which one is it? I'll bet the terms of the argument change once the four players are dismissed.

... and they will be, because this story only has one ending.
I learned a long time ago not to criticize another program for things the players do because the following week it could be my program in those headlines.

People need to be more realistic about what a coach can and cannot control.

Now disciplinary measures are a slightly different matter.

But even so....ultimately I think everyone is best served to keep their nose out of another program's business in these matters.

The bottom line is another sad loss of a student athlete's opportunity to excel in life.

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama

I think it is just in brent's raising. There are some people close to Russelville program that have told me this is not his first rodeo. Take it for what is worth.

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL

Does anyone know if Saban or the team has reached out to the two kids that were beaten?
As advanced and well run as our program is I think we can be certain the victims have been offered professional counseling. Even in big businesses these days that would be standard protocol and as soon as possible the company and in this case the school would be as involved as the victims are comfortable with.

Bama323_15

Suspended
Jan 12, 2013

We don't rejoice over the kid. We are normally rejoicing in the negative PR for the school.

These 4 are not kids I would want my kids around. That makes them bad kids to me. These were not mistakes. These were four kids who intentionally broke the law multiple times. That makes them bad kids. The other schools should give us a hard time. We whiffed on a few. We deserve the ragging.

But, I cannot mourn over bad kids who did bad things. They still have time to fix their lives. That is for them and their families to fix....

Getting emotional wont help them....but something needs to scare them
I can not argue with your perspective...as it has always been mine until this incident. And I am not asking anyone to feel sorry for any of the 4...they did choose their own actions...no argument from me.

In 12 plus years of knowledge of the kid...I never thought "bad kid." I never once was concerned if my child was around him.

My emotions will not help him your are correct...but I would be concerned about myself if I was not emotional about this young man. (That is not intended as a shot at your comment :) )

I agree that something needs to scare him...that these "things" are serious. And if this incident does not redirect his path then that is solely on him. But I will stick my hand out to his when I see him and hope that I see an embarrased, (insert whatever other adjective is appropriate), young man. Maybe this happened early enough that he can more easily return to a productive path. It is obvious to all who know this young man that he has changed directions with this action...I have yet to talk with one person here trying to make excuses or say "not his fault" etc. But everyone one I have talked to is as surprised as I am. Each of us is free to decide what that "tells" us about the young man.

Can a good kid be so influenced to participate in these types of actions? I dont know the answer. I am not even sure I want to say yes...because what will that say about other kids capabilities?

Rambling again...sorry. So many angles to disect this from. But when we get to the heart of it...kids engaged in horrible behavior and are most likely lucky the charges are not more serious than they are.

Last edited:

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

:rolleyes:

It's called a 'discussion'.
True! And winning 3 national championships in the past four years is called a dynasty. ;) Coach Saban is paid to recruit the best young men that he can to win football games. Doing a superb job to this point I might add. Is he perfect? No! Who is? Is this discussion about what coach Saban should do or should already have done perfect? No! But it is stupid! He didn't get to where he is now by being stupid! It is his program and as for myself I have been enjoying what he has accomplished so far and hope he can continue it. 100%! :)

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010

This sounds like something from a penn st board. If somehow saban were to keep any of the three I would lose a lot respect for him and consider him a hypocrit, still a great football coach but I would view him differently. Thankfully I don't think we have to worry about him letting them back.
I have two grown children I have raised and 2 grandbabies plus another on the way. They have never made the mistake that these 4 former Bama players did but they made their share for sure. But what if they were to make a mistake like those guys did? It would nearly kill me for sure! But would I all the sudden stop loving them? No! I would first want to know what happened and why. I would want to get to the bottom of why they did what they did not just send them packing without any idea as to what I did wrong! Don't ya think coach Saban and staff would like to know? I mean if there is something you can learn from this sad episode. Maybe you can either see what not to recruit or at least see if trouble is brewing. I have no doubt coach Saban can learn from this episode and what better way than to be slow to judgment and get all the facts before sentencing. But what the heck do I know! ;)

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010

Actually, it's not. If these kids violate student codes of conduct, they should be gone, regardless of what CNS thinks.

This isn't Penn State or Notre Dame.
Why didn't you bold the sentence I wrote before the one you did? "If he decides to allow all four players to return to the team, pending the University re-in-statement, I will support him 100%!" Yes if the university kicks them out of school, which I think is what has happened, coach Saban has no choice in the matter. ;)

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

They have applied for youthful offender status.

Pettway's attorney says he hopes "to return to his studies and to his team as quickly as possible."

I really hope this does not happen. I am with Cecil. If the facts are anywhere close to what has been reported, these guys need to look elsewhere to get their lives together.
Lawyer talk for 'I got Nothing'...

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

I have two grown children I have raised and 2 grandbabies plus another on the way. They have never made the mistake that these 4 former Bama players did but they made their share for sure. But what if they were to make a mistake like those guys did? It would nearly kill me for sure! But would I all the sudden stop loving them? No! I would first want to know what happened and why. I would want to get to the bottom of why they did what they did not just send them packing without any idea as to what I did wrong! Don't ya think coach Saban and staff would like to know? I mean if there is something you can learn from this sad episode. Maybe you can either see what not to recruit or at least see if trouble is brewing. I have no doubt coach Saban can learn from this episode and what better way than to be slow to judgment and get all the facts before sentencing. But what the heck do I know! ;)
big difference in a mistake made by immaturity, and committing a felony act...

I understand what your trying to say, but the severity of this act is quite different from a 'youthful indescretion'.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

There's no sense in this thread perpetuating any longer.....announced dismissal in another thread.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.