Four Bama football players arrested, are dismissed from team

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Re: Four Bama football players arrested - was progress of Eddie Williams & B. Callowa

No, but I knew someone who lived in the dorm with me who found a debit card in an ATM and he and his three idiot friends bought beer with it at the CVS and ended up arrested. I was on the judicial board when I was at Alabama. These things happen. I'm not defending them, but I won't be doing a whole lot of soul searching about the state of the program over it either.
There's a really wide gulf between using a debit card that you found to buy beer and beating someone unconscious so that you can use theirs.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Four Bama football players arrested - was progress of Eddie Williams & B. Callowa

They seem to have shown some integrity in admitting to their crimes and being willing to accept the consequences. I hope that they learn from this and get their lives back in order, but they put themselves ahead of the program, and that flies directly in the face of everything that Coach Saban teaches. I doubt that they will be a part of this program when the dust settles, and I am pretty sure that they expect the same.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

There's a really wide gulf between using a debit card that you found to buy beer and beating someone unconscious so that you can use theirs.
Apparently, Calloway feels like not participating in the robbery is going to save his hide. I think he's wrong...

dawgsfan1973

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 20, 2012

was Williams also arrested on the 10th?

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl

My former law partner had his wallet taken at gun point in the parking lot of an apartment complex he owned. He managed to get all the cards stopped except for the Shell Oil card, which the thief used for two more years. It didn't have photo ID, but George had a long and distinctly Jewish name. The robber was black and, George thought, in a army uniform. I thought it was likely ROTC, but George wouldn't have known the difference. It was only used at one station - which was one block from the Alabama A&M campus. When I heard a roar from the office adjacent to mine, I knew that George had opened his Shell statement again...
How did it happen that he was unable to cancel a credit card for two years? Sounds odd, but what do I know.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Apparently, Calloway feels like not participating in the robbery is going to save his hide. I think he's wrong...
It's hard to argue that you don't understand the ramifications of using a card with somebody else named and pictured to purchase goods.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

Don't necessarily assume they will get jail time. Because of their ages, they will be eligible to apply for Youthful Offender treatment. If granted, it could be what saves their lives. Not sure about Brent Calloway, though, since he has a prior arrest record. Since he is only charged with Fraudulent use, he may could still get it. Their attorney's most definitely need to apply for it. It would be a huge lapse in legal judgement not to. That being said, just because you apply for it doesn't mean you will get it.

Could this be a case of mistaken identity? I'm concerned that Calloway basically admitted to using a card of "some sort" on his Twitter. STOOPID x 100.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

How did it happen that he was unable to cancel a credit card for two years? Sounds odd, but what do I know.
He got them all canceled except the Shell. It was simply incompetence on Shell's part...

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham

Not really. These things happen when you get 100 18-22 year olds together.
I can understand this to a point...however...the thought never crossed my mind when I was that age to rob someone. Period. We all do stupid things as kids/young adults but this is beyond stupidity.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

If Calloway had heretofore a spotless record, I could see him remaining. But at some point, temporary lapses in judgement become seep-seated character issues.

"You just gave me a student ACT card that has a name AND PICTURE that I don't recognize.

Seems legit."

Last edited:

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL

So what's the dealie with Stormie being a cleat chaser? I saw the "leaving the scene" stuff, but was just wondering what prompted the other comments...

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

Court docs show Williams made a statement admitting to the robbery. He said that he Hays and Pettway beat a guy unconscious and took his wallet. They later used his CC to buy items from a vending machine at the dorm.

Calloway also made a statement that he knowingly used the CC to buy snacks from a vending machine. He knew the card was stolen and used it anyway.

I dont know how many times a day I say this but IF you are ever arrested--KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. Nothing good ever comes of talking to the police when you are under arrest.
Amen!! And there goes my hope for mistaken identity!! I think the DA will fight any app for YO now, what do you think? Obviously, they still need to apply for it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

How long before this turns into "they stole the card for food which proves we need to pay college players" in the media? In fact, Josh Moon has already alluded to that this morning on his radio show; something to the effect of "these kids don't think straight when they have so little money that they can't even afford food."
Obviously, crying poverty is not a valid excuse for robbing people, and these athletes can't really cry poverty anyway. They are well taken care of.

However, the whole stipend issue is presented by detractors in a misleading way a lot of the time. It's not really "paying" players, because if you did that, they would be entitled to much, much more money. It is actually doing what was done before, and what is done with some other scholarships, which is to provide additional money to insure that the player is able to focus on getting an education and meeting their obligations as a student athlete. We have heard of various scenarios in which players have children, a mother that needs to be taken care of, etc... Considering that some estimates place the time and effort of being on an NCAA team as a 40 hour a week workload, in addition to their classes. We can't really expect them to have a job during football season, and be full time student athletes.

So, when you analyze this situation, there is no justification for the actions. However, if you look at Calloway specifically, I do think you can see how having some pocket money could have dispelled what ever motivation he had to participate in using the stolen card. Yes, bad kids will be bad kids, and criminals will be criminals, but it could lessen some temptation. The same goes for players that get caught on a violation that is not huge sums of money, but a few hundred or may be a thousand bucks. If they are getting that much every month anyway, it would be a lot less enticing to risk losing it over a small sum.

These players have no excuse, but there's no doubt in my mind that a small stipend is not only fair, but could ease the burden on some of these players. Yes, they are getting a lot out of this situation, but so is the University and it's not fair that student athletes can't get a stipend, but people on academic scholarships can.

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX

He got them all canceled except the Shell. It was simply incompetence on Shell's part...
Not to get off thread topic, was this back in the olden days when you had to hand a card to someone? Or is it in the present where you swipe it yourself?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Not to get off thread topic, was this back in the olden days when you had to hand a card to someone? Or is it in the present where you swipe it yourself?
Back when you had to hand it over - pre-pump swipers...

kilgourtroutt

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 3, 2011
Birmingham

Amen!! And there goes my hope for mistaken identity!! I think the DA will fight any app for YO now, what do you think? Obviously, they still need to apply for it.
I doubt the DA will agree to it, but as you pointed out, they still must try. For the two with no records it might still be possible if you get the right judge. Also, because Calloway wasnt involved in the robbery he may have a shot at it as well. However, if he already pled YO for the prior charge he will not be eligable for it again.

Williams has no shot at it imo. However, he may still be able to get straight probation if has a decent lawyer and draws the right judge.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

I think it is pretty safe to say what the result will be if we have this to go by for precedent of how CNS chooses to deal with similar incidents...

Jimmy Johns
Jeremy Elder

As a matter of fact, there is articles online documenting how disappointed and regretful they are for what they did and blowing their chance with the UA program. Sometimes, I wonder if it would be worthwhile for guys like these to be invited back to talk about the decisions that led to their dismissal/legal problems and how they felt after it all had a chance to sink in. I guess some guys wont listen no matter who you put in front of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.