Link: NCAA proposed rule changes (includes ejections for targeting defenseless players)

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect...ds+ejection+for+targeting+defenseless+players

The proposed rule will mirror the penalty for fighting. If the foul occurs in the first half of a game, the player is ejected for the remainder of the game. If the foul occurs in the second half or overtime of a game, the player is ejected for the remainder of the game and the first half of the next contest.

The committee has also decided, in an effort to address concerns when one of these plays is erroneously called, to make the ejection portion of the penalty reviewable through video replay. The replay official must have conclusive evidence that a player should not be ejected to overturn the call on the field. Additionally, a post-game conference review remains part of the rule and conferences always have the ability to add to a sanction.
Actually, I don't have any issue with this because it does allow for video review. But I do think that any ejections should be automatically reviewed instead of merely subject to review.

Also, I am sure that Boise St. and Eastern Washington won't like the rule about having either the jersey or the pants contrast the playing field. :D

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Why don't we just make it illegal to tackle and be done with it.
Might as well.

The definition of a defenseless player makes defenses defenseless. It completely nullifies the safety as an enforcer and completely opens up the middle of the field for all types of crossing patterns. I get the sentiment and I'm all for the spirit of the changes in the name of player safety, but good grief!

MrRourke

Suspended
Jan 24, 2013
A player is only "defenseless" after the whistle, imo

This stuff is getting beyond ridiculous

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I could see kicking a player out for something egregious, something over the top, but automatic ejection? I saw some bad calls, and it seems like they could throw out anyone who hits a player above the shoulder. I guess they should start taking out knees, huh?

MrRourke

Suspended
Jan 24, 2013
Would this still be allowed?? Seems the D would be getting a raw deal if so,\.........

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
IMO, the new rule will have to consider whether the offensive player lowers his head, thereby guaranteeing a head-to-head hit.

IIRC, PTI was discussing the concussion issue when the report came out about Junior Seau. I think it was Chris Mortensen said he reviewed NFL games from the 60's and early 70's, more specifically big hitters like Dick Butkus. He said that back then, players lead with their shoulders, not their heads. And, they usually didn't target the other player's head. I would like to see the game played that way again.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Why not just leave it to the arbitrary opinion of Tim Brando what constitutes a flagrant foul and suspension? I'm sure he could light up Twitter with his anti-Alabama nonsense.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Not even considering the way it affects the way the game is played, my bigger concern is do we want to give officials more leeway in their judgments. You could see a kid suspended like the S from Ole Miss for a good clean hit, but other ones that were dirty go unpunished just based on the crew of officials. There's too much variation in the enforcement of a judgment penalty (here: what is the definition of a defenseless player) that players won't know what is acceptable and what is not.

Even helmet to helmet is problematic because an offensive player can lower their head (and some are being taught to do that).

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Re: NCAA proposed rule changes (includes ejections for targeting defenseless player

It should be hitting above the shoulders, or is that what they define targeting is. Either way, it will be stupid because sometimes it is incidentally especially when the offensive player lowers his head.
It's going to be a mess more likely than not. The more the officials are involved is not always for the best regardless of intent.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Well, there's always flag football, or 2-hand touch...
If this is true, then how many people would be in Bryant-Denny Stadium on a Saturday game day? Answer, the coaches, the players and possibly mom and dad and little brother and sister. By the way, bring your own refreshments. No security needed. Oh! We don't have enough money for uniforms, so players will need to buy their own. Since football pays for most other sports we will need to drop every sport except those sports that are making money.

Football would be DEAD on arrival with 2-hand touch or flag (NOT foot)ball!

By the way, would there be more crime since nobody on the farm or in the hood would have anything positive to participate in.

Maybe we could have UA professors come to the stadium and fill it to the brim for a lecture. They could use the TV screens for PowerPoints to make it easier to take notes.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
The game is changing that's for sure..Football has always been a rough sport since its creation..That's part of its popularity..The players know its a dangerous sport..When I played in high school..I knew every time I put the pads on..There was a chance I may end up in the ER..Nobody is forcing them to play..It's a personal decision to put their bodies in harm way..Leave the game alone before they kill the sport..

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Interesting that Shaw said after the SECCG that mere helmet to helmet contact would never be penalized because it happened on 80% of all plays. I guess that will be re-thought...

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Can we get rid of the stupid sit out a play if your helmet falls off? I thought for sure that rule was gone, I saw that crap abused more than any rule I've ever seen. Lacy had his helmet ripped off multiple times in the Michigan game and I believe the Mizzou game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Can we get rid of the stupid sit out a play if your helmet falls off? I thought for sure that rule was gone, I saw that crap abused more than any rule I've ever seen. Lacy had his helmet ripped off multiple times in the Michigan game and I believe the Mizzou game.
When it's ripped off, if needs to be a penalty. I saw that only a few times, when it was ripped off with the face guard. It should be right up there with face mask and horse collar, then it wouldn't be so popular. OTOH, it's a hard call when it happens down under the pile, where the refs can't really see it...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.