Random Encounter w/ Coach Perkins

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
So, I'm sitting in a coffee shop in H'burg this a.m. (along with all the other hipster wannabes ;) ), and in walks Ray Perkins & his Mrs. As one who knew who he was on the 1966 team when I was a kid, and when he played in the NFL, and when he coached the Giants, and--of course--when he succeeded Coach Bryant @ UA--I had to battle my groupie tendencies mightily. Luckily, they left after only a short stay. Thus, I didn't do any embarrassing fawning. My oh-so-tattered mancards are still intact. :biggrin2:

Note: he is now HC of a jr. college team nearby.

Further note: anyone else tired of off-season type posts--like, say, this one--already? :biggrin:

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
He was partially responsible for building the Giants Superbowl team that Parcels took credit for. He was also a top offensive assistant in the NFL for many years after his time at Alabama. His time at Alabama was strange. He knew how to score points but his defense was never that great, that with some of the best defensive talent ever. (Thomas, Bennett). I seem to remember our secondary always being terrible. He pulled some awesome upsets against Auburn and others but would always drop a game he shouldn't.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Agreed, Bamaslammer. It seemed to me that he approached the season in Tuscaloosa with a "make the playoffs" mindset. Works in the NFL; not so much in college. But I did love the 4-6 Bama team ending the season by beating a loaded Auburn team. ;)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
He was part of a sports meet-n-greet at an Ocean Springs bar a few weeks ago. Very nice guy.
Yep..and that little sports bar, "Kwitzkee's", is about 100 yards from my office downtown. Unfortunately they didn't publicize the event at all and I had no idea..

Ray Guy was also there..Willie Richardson..and a few other notables. Would loved to have stopped by had I known.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm no Perkins apologist but he was probably doomed even if he had been an above average coach simply because of who he followed. Keep in mind that Perkins 1983 team was a near carbon of Bryant's 1982 team. Same record, losses to 2 of the same foes and a robbery at Penn St. In his efforts to carve out an identity he alienated people. Keep in mind also that he was hamstrung by Pat Dye's recruiting tactics, both legal and illegal. The problem with his lone losing season was not the defense but the offense. When Kerry Goode went down after getting nearly 300 all-purpose yards in one half, the die was cast for 1984.

His bigger faux pas was plummeting from a number 2 ranking in late October to a Sun Bowl. Losses to LSU and Auburn in Nov - games in which we greatly outplayed the opposition but failed to finish - sent him packing. Had he won just the SEC in 86 even at 9-2, he'd have been back.

I think Ray was in over his head. And I think to give him credit for starting the Giants rebuilding goes too far. Sure he drafted Lawrence Taylor but who wouldn't have? His lone playoff appearance only happened because the 7-1 Eagles imploded and finished 9-7. Dallas mailed it in the final game and the Giants won to make the playoffs, I believe on a Danelo FG in OT.

The Giants were 3-13 in 1983, so giving Perk credit for something anybody would have done doesn't strike me as wise. Are we going to thank the next bozo who doesn't blow his hand off putting away his handgun?

Thanks Ray, here's your watch, Roll Tide.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
There weren't many people CRP didn't go out of his way to alienate during his time in Tuscaloosa. I met him at a celebrity golf event, got his autograph, had a picture made, he kept my pen. The autograph and pic are long gone... I still miss my pen, it was a nice one.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I was young at the time but all I've seen is that Perkins was sort of a Jackie Sherrill without the probation - insanely arrogant and closed-minded.

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al
Selma, I don't think he was in over his head. He was doing some good things at Alabama, and in my opinion was poised to do some great things. I think he would have been highly successful. He was a great recruiter, and in 1986 when he left, we were about to have a top 5 recruiting class. He was a good coach and we played good hardnosed football which is what we all love. His house had just been paid off as a gift to him. His problem is that he ran away and left our University at possibly the worst time because of what Dye and aub were doing. Talk about a career decision. I'd say that was one of the worst ever made.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I met CRP just before the 1983 season began when he spoke at a Touchdown Club meeting in Macon, Georgia. He was not very friendly and extremely arrogant toward me and several other individuals. Not sure why the attitude, but it was certainly very different than CPB, who I met while in school at Alabama. Huge difference! Plus, I wasn't too crazy about his skills as a head coach. But we will never really know how good he could have been since he didn't stick around. However, he was there long enough for me. The boneheaded move to hire Curry as his successor was what I never really understood. BTW, I also loved him as a player.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I met CRP just before the 1983 season began when he spoke at a Touchdown Club meeting in Macon, Georgia. He was not very friendly and extremely arrogant toward me and several other individuals. Not sure why the attitude, but it was certainly very different than CPB, who I met while in school at Alabama. Huge difference! Plus, I wasn't too crazy about his skills as a head coach. But we will never really know how good he could have been since he didn't stick around. However, he was there long enough for me. The boneheaded move to hire Curry as his successor was what I never really understood. BTW, I also loved him as a player.
It Don't Cost Nothin' To Be Nice

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
I believe he alienated everybody right off the bat when he had Bear's tower dismantled. They should have left the tower intact in remembrance, if for no other reason.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
I believe he alienated everybody right off the bat when he had Bear's tower dismantled. They should have left the tower intact in remembrance, if for no other reason.
This is why most did not like him. My girlfriend is best friends with Lisa, his wife and my encounter has been pleasant with him. Of course, due to the relationship between his wife and my girlfriend could be why my experience was a positive one.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
He was a great receiver for us and the Colts. He was my choice to succeed Bear (confession: I also thought Fran was the right choice - oh well...). I thought he was a good coach with the Giants and TOUGH enough to succeed Bear. Yeah tough all right. He makes CNS seem like Dale Carnegie. If he was a good coach at the college level I guess I'll never know. I view him now as a jerk and a mercenary for the way he took the money and left us. When I read something about his opinions about us, the program, coaches, etc., it falls on my deaf ears. I'll always remember him fondly as a player; as someone who put Bama first, not so much. Jackie Sherrill without the probation? Jackie would've crawled to T-town on his hands and knees. Yeah, he would've probably gotten us on probation, but he would've been more loyal to Bama and Bear.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.