Manziel Taking All On-Line Classes-Fishy?

Count me as one who thinks online coursing should be limited, and for special needs.

Part of the college experience is having the discipline to get up and GO to a class, and the interaction with others and teachers in that setting. You learn social skills for the real world - kids nowadays need more of that, and less internet "Social Media" imo.
Again, you have to have the discipline to get up and be part of the online class at a certain time if it is a requirement of the course.

Since you think kids need better social skills and less internet social media, are you going to stop posting on message boards, which can fall into that problem?

If I'm not mistaken Coach Saban has a very strict policy about class attendance, and I mean players walking their butts into a class room and sitting down at a desk beside other students. lol.. If they don't choose to do so he'll suspend them in a heartbeat. I like this approach.
There may not be anything actually "wrong" with what Manziel is doing. My son is getting his masters on-line and it's very convenient for him as a newlywed.
So I know I'm using a double standard here but I just think football players should go to class. Furthermore, if one can take on-line classes then I think they all should be able to.
I know. I'm sounding like my grand father lol
sip
Who is saying other TAMU players can't take online classes?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Who is saying other TAMU players can't take online classes?
Not me. I have no idea. It just seems to me if players could sit in their rooms and take classes without having to get up and get ready and walk across campus that they would do so. Maybe they can, maybe they can't.
My point has been consistent. Regardless if they can or can't take on-line classes, I think football players should go to a real classroom.
I'm not even claiming that I'm right, it's just my old school opinion.
Evidently Coach Saban agrees with me because our guys go to class, the real ones, and they tend to do quite well once they get there.
sip

Not me. I have no idea. It just seems to me if players could sit in their rooms and take classes without having to get up and get ready and walk across campus that they would do so. Maybe they can, maybe they can't.
My point has been consistent. Regardless if they can or can't take on-line classes, I think football players should go to a real classroom.
I'm not even claiming that I'm right, it's just my old school opinion.
Evidently Coach Saban agrees with me because our guys go to class, the real ones, and they tend to do quite well once they get there.
sip
Beyond your old school mentality, I'm having a hard time in why you are thinking it's a big deal for "football players" to physically go to class instead of having the online option? Why stop there? Why not all students? What makes football players a special case?

And you know for certainty no Alabama players are currently taking online classes?

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Beyond your old school mentality, I'm having a hard time in why you are thinking it's a big deal for "football players" to physically go to class instead of having the online option? Why stop there? Why not all students? What makes football players a special case?

And you know for certainty no Alabama players are currently taking online classes?
Online classes are the wave. Hopefully, Bama will go more online so we can get rid of some of those old buildings; that space would be better used for stadium parking and tailgating.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think at this point it was best for him, and the other students. If he is as big of a distraction as has been said, then no one is getting an education with him IN class. So, let him take online courses... Anyone who thinks athletics REALLY go hand in hand with some sort of academic standards anymore (not saying he isn;t a good student, but in the larger picture) have been reading too many ND boards...

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I just can't wait to see if the Manziel this year is the same one as last year. Fame accolades and attention CAN change people..
I agree with this.

Your Barn team will have trouble with the aggies again. Even if Manziel tanks.

=================================

RollinTider
PS. You are one of the few auburn fans I can tolerate. Keep posting here on Tidefans and you may even become one of us.;)

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
I agree with this.

Your Barn team will have trouble with the aggies again. Even if Manziel tanks.

=================================

RollinTider
PS. You are one of the few auburn fans I can tolerate. Keep posting here on Tidefans and you may even become one of us.;)
Oh, Thanks. I have got to change my avatar back when I can log in to my personal computer. ;-)

MrRourke

Suspended
Jan 24, 2013
Again, you have to have the discipline to get up and be part of the online class at a certain time if it is a requirement of the course.

Since you think kids need better social skills and less internet social media, are you going to stop posting on message boards, which can fall into that problem?
It takes more discipline to get up, out and make a class, than to get up 2 minutes before and stroll to a computer.

As for the second part - No. I am not coming here for educational purposes, or to learn life skills. People used to interact with each other, now it is through devises, and I think that is rather horrible.

Last edited:

MVKTR2

1st Team
May 29, 2008
Not really fishy at all. Technology has changed the classroom-university experience. There's a current movement where Stanford and some of the leading universities are offering several classes online for free as a public service. The seminary I start attending this coming fall allows up to 2/3rds of course work to be taken online. One semester of all online classes is exceedingly common in the modern college experience. My spouse is finishing up a dual degree this spring semester and took 2 semesters worth of classes completely online. It saves money on an already FAR too expensive university experience.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Not really fishy at all. Technology has changed the classroom-university experience. There's a current movement where Stanford and some of the leading universities are offering several classes online for free as a public service. The seminary I start attending this coming fall allows up to 2/3rds of course work to be taken online. One semester of all online classes is exceedingly common in the modern college experience. My spouse is finishing up a dual degree this spring semester and took 2 semesters worth of classes completely online. It saves money on an already FAR too expensive university experience.
Online courses are coming faster than you think. Heard this week about a Stanford economics prof who taught his class both in person and online. 150,000 persons took it online....141,000 finished it. Do we even fathom how long he would have to teach in person to teach that many students? BTW, the top Stanford class student finished 441st in the final rankings...This is a different world....and in many ways better.

It takes more discipline to get up, out and make a class, than to get up 2 minutes before and stroll to a computer.

As for the second part - No. I am not coming here for educational purposes, or to learn life skills. People used to interact with each other, now it is through devises, and I think that is rather horrible.
What makes you think anyone using social media is doing it for educational purposes to start? You don't see the irony in you complaining about people communicating through devices by using a device to communicate?

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I personally don't think online classes should be an option for any full time students. A university is supposed to put their stamp on a graduate as someone who is at least competent and well rounded as well as trainable. You can't do that via an online class. IT's well documented that Cam Newton, The barn's greatest player of all time never set foot in a classroom in his one year in Auburn. He was basically working as a pro football player for hire for one season. Online classes make football corruption that much easier to pull off.

In my opinion the NCAA should not allow them as unrepeatable.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I personally don't think online classes should be an option for any full time students. A university is supposed to put their stamp on a graduate as someone who is at least competent and well rounded as well as trainable. You can't do that via an online class.
Have you even taken an online class? One of my online classes was more difficult than all but about 3 of my classroom classes.
I
T's well documented that Cam Newton, The barn's greatest player of all time never set foot in a classroom in his one year in Auburn. He was basically working as a pro football player for hire for one season. Online classes make football corruption that much easier to pull off.
Mind sharing a few articles that show he never set foot in a classroom? Or do you just want to go by what many fans said was fact?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There are pros and cons to each approach, but it is pretty clear that a student can get just as much from an on-line education as he/she can from a brick/mortar education. These are instructor led classes, not pre-recorded sessions. In the end, you get out what you put in. Those who want to learn will learn - those who are just looking for something else. Well...

IMO, the biggest risk that a school faces with something like this for athletes is that it is easier to "cheat" when all tests and papers are delivered/submitted electronically. But that can easily be overcome by requiring the students to take these classes from a controlled environment - say, within the athletic facility, monitored by someone within the athletic program. That might produce an optimal environment for learning for some of these kids.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
I think at this point it was best for him, and the other students. If he is as big of a distraction as has been said, then no one is getting an education with him IN class. So, let him take online courses...
I agree, it's probably best for him to go on-line to do whatever course work he has because he would be a complete distraction to any classroom he steps foot in. In fact, I wonder what his major even is or if he even cares. I bet school is not anywhere close to his top priority right now. It's football and probably as many females as he can hook up with before he leaves TAMU.

The kid is going to do Summer School so he can workout with the team this Summer and probably do just enough to stay on the team this Fall until he drops out of school after the season to get ready for the NFL draft next year.

I agree, it's probably best for him to go on-line to do whatever course work he has because he would be a complete distraction to any classroom he steps foot in. In fact, I wonder what his major even is or if he even cares. I bet school is not anywhere close to his top priority right now. It's football and probably as many females as he can hook up with before he leaves TAMU.

The kid is going to do Summer School so he can workout with the team this Summer and probably do just enough to stay on the team this Fall until he drops out of school after the season to get ready for the NFL draft next year.
He's a Sports Management major, which is what the four online classes are for.

As for the other priorities you mentioned, football and women, well, I imagine he shares that with quite a few people on his team and teams throughout the country.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
He's a Sports Management major, which is what the four online classes are for.

As for the other priorities you mentioned, football and women, well, I imagine he shares that with quite a few people on his team and teams throughout the country.
Perfect degree to wrap up with one final semester after his NFL career is over.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
But not at UA. Our players focus solely on schoolwork and not the ladies. :wink:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.