Link: Texas Is Moving To An Up-Tempo Offense This Spring

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IMO, Brown has been overrated his entire coaching career. He did a good job at UNC and has had some success at UT, but I believe he is in the twilight of his career and needs to be replaced. texas would do well to clean house to include Dodds the AD as well. A program with the potential that texas has, has to expect much better than what they have been getting.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Buys more time....."We are adjusting to this new style...., same as the old style." Major didn't do so well calling spread plays for us now, did he?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
imo, brown has been overrated his entire coaching career. He did a good job at unc and has had some success at ut, but i believe he is in the twilight of his career and needs to be replaced. Texas would do well to clean house to include dodds the ad as well. A program with the potential that texas has, has to expect much better than what they have been getting.
shhhhhhhhhh!

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Going back a bit, for Texas the transition to a power running game never made any sense. Given that (1) Texas recruits solely in-state, and (2) the Texas prep ranks are so unanimously infatuated with the spread, it was always a terrible match between on-field scheme and recruiting pipeline. It's as terrible of an idea in terms of fit as was Callahan trying to install the spread at Nebraska, and the results have been just as bad.

Truth is Texas needs to run the spread, just run it better and most importantly do a far better job of player evaluation on the recruiting trails. When you tell back-to-back Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks that they aren't good enough to play in your scheme and that they will have to fight for playing time at safety, you'll never do much on offense regardless of what scheme you run.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Going back a bit, for Texas the transition to a power running game never made any sense. Given that (1) Texas recruits solely in-state, and (2) the Texas prep ranks are so unanimously infatuated with the spread, it was always a terrible match between on-field scheme and recruiting pipeline. It's as terrible of an idea in terms of fit as was Callahan trying to install the spread at Nebraska, and the results have been just as bad.

Truth is Texas needs to run the spread, just run it better and most importantly do a far better job of player evaluation on the recruiting trails. When you tell back-to-back Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks that they aren't good enough to play in your scheme and that they will have to fight for playing time at safety, you'll never do much on offense regardless of what scheme you run.
Agree with all and, as I've said on the recruiting board, TX talent may be a little suspect because of the incestuous nature of their competition and the fact that the entire HS field, border to border, runs the spread. The skill positions would be somewhat easier to evaluate than the others. However, it appears Mack can't even do that...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Buys more time....."We are adjusting to this new style...., same as the old style." Major didn't do so well calling spread plays for us now, did he?
I think you nailed it.

He knows he is on his way out, writing is on the wall.

This way he has an excuse for the next 2 years "a change of this magnitude takes time, give me more and I promise i'll deliver" If he does he's golden, if not he makes it to 2015/6 rather than getting fired in 2013

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
Power football just hurts too much. All kidding aside, this should surprise nobody. I was more than surprised that Texas was going to shift to a more power oriented attack. They had their most success with Vince Young and Colt McCoy spreading the field and having solid defenses. The questions is, how does this affect A&M's recruiting? Does A&M continue to see recruiting success going after the same offensive players to run similar offenses?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Texas has transformed a lot on offense under Mack Brown. They were more of a singleback/i-form team when they had guys like Ricky Williams, Cedric Bensnon, etc. They began moving towards the shotgun more when Vince Young became the quarterback. They were still a pretty balanced team with solid tailbacks to compliment Young out of the shotgun. The McCoy-Shipley era is where they crossed the rubicon into pass-centric spread mostly by necessity. McCoy could run pretty well but he was injury prone early in his career and their best offensive talent skewed towards the perimeter. They also seemed to start running dry on the consistent feature back they had most of his early tenure. Post-McCoy they went back towards a formation multiple pro-set that was truly more in the vein of what Boise State does on offense.

Texas under Brown has always been a malleable philosophy on offense. They just do whatever their talent dictates. I think the last few years that has bit them in the rear pretty well. There is nothing wrong with using your talent at hand but it has probably affected their recruiting a bit. Athletes don't know if they're going to be throwing or passing...don't know what role they will take in the offense.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Agree with all and, as I've said on the recruiting board, TX talent may be a little suspect because of the incestuous nature of their competition and the fact that the entire HS field, border to border, runs the spread. The skill positions would be somewhat easier to evaluate than the others. However, it appears Mack can't even do that...
I think you are certainly right when it comes to line talent. For the most part, though, I think the talent as a whole may be a tad overrated -- sometimes I think people make too much of the quality of competition gambit -- but even so a lot of programs have had success with TX prep talent, including ourselves. I think it's just very bad evaluation on the part of Mack's staff.

Also, FWIW, I think Texas has some real issues with player development as it relates to program culture. Obviously they aren't quite as egregious as Auburn was under Chizik, but to a large extent I do think they have a tendency to attract the wrong types of players for the wrong reasons, even though some of those players are heavily-touted recruits. Lots of kids show up on that campus feeling entitled, and it doesn't seem Brown and company force that feeling to become fleeting.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Texas has transformed a lot on offense under Mack Brown. They were more of a singleback/i-form team when they had guys like Ricky Williams, Cedric Bensnon, etc. They began moving towards the shotgun more when Vince Young became the quarterback. They were still a pretty balanced team with solid tailbacks to compliment Young out of the shotgun. The McCoy-Shipley era is where they crossed the rubicon into pass-centric spread mostly by necessity. McCoy could run pretty well but he was injury prone early in his career and their best offensive talent skewed towards the perimeter. They also seemed to start running dry on the consistent feature back they had most of his early tenure. Post-McCoy they went back towards a formation multiple pro-set that was truly more in the vein of what Boise State does on offense.

Texas under Brown has always been a malleable philosophy on offense. They just do whatever their talent dictates. I think the last few years that has bit them in the rear pretty well. There is nothing wrong with using your talent at hand but it has probably affected their recruiting a bit. Athletes don't know if they're going to be throwing or passing...don't know what role they will take in the offense.
THIS^^^^^. Unlike us and most very good programs, they do not have an indentity. When you are always changing something you are not perfecting what you you should be doing.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I agree 100% with ya..He solely brings in Texas instate talent no matter if they fit in the system he wants to run..That's why it's so important to recruit to one system & develop that talent..If that means passing over Blue Chip Texas recruits..So be it..Bring in recruits that will develop to your system..And it's obvious he's not the best developer of talent in coaching..

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree 100% with ya..He solely brings in Texas instate talent no matter if they fit in the system he wants to run..That's why it's so important to recruit to one system & develop that talent..If that means passing over Blue Chip Texas recruits..So be it..Bring in recruits that will develop to your system..And it's obvious he's not the best developer of talent in coaching..
I guess it's easy to get lazy in recruiting there, particularly the evaluation part...

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I think one reason Texas talent is sometimes overrated is due to the incorrect assumption of a direct correlation between student population and football excellence. While size does matter and that's why high schools are broken up into classifications once you get past a certain size the law of diminishing returns takes over. There are only 22 starting spots that result in significant playing time and if you don't play you don't get better. Many more very athletic students might be available in a bigger high school but due to the hard work required and the lower chance of playing time they either go to other sports or just don't play at all.

Homewood in Birmingham for instance isn't that massive but they have fielded teams in the last 10 to 15 years that could play toe to toe with the biggest Texas teams. I'm not saying they would beat them all, just that the difference isn't as much as they would like to believe.

Bottom line is that it's ALL just high school football, dress it up all you want but it's a MASSIVE step up to Division 1 college football. Any kid who can play there is going to mostly dominate in high school. That's why it takes a real expert to watch the film and know who is really great and who is just taking advantage of slow footed kids who will one day be accountants and computer programmers.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Some think the Texas talent is overrated, but Alabama likes to cherry pick a few. The Longhorns have a reputation of being soft in the weight room. I think that hurts them the most.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.