Question: Recruiting for the spread offense?

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Fan4life, you're getting a little picky. 300 rushing yards vs #1 late in the season is "running it down their throat". And are you going to subtract the Alabama runs out of the shotgun? A defender has his feelings hurt when he gets run on, regardless of trap, pull, etc.
Nah, it's not being picky; it's just a simple matter of proper definition.

It's kind of like the difference between "running over" or "running through" a defender versus "running around" a defender.

Ingram, Trent, Lacy, Fowler, and Yeldon have done a lot of "running over" or "running through" defenders. Onterio McCaleb, on the other hand, did very little of that. That doesn't mean that he isn't a good Running Back. He did a lot of "running around" defenders. We've had a plethora of backs over the past few season that could, almost at will, both run over as well as run around defenders. The fact that running over defenders isn't a strength - or perhaps really even an ability - of McCaleb doesn't mean that he isn't a good Running Back; it just means that he's a different type of Running Back.

You're confusing a "good" or "productive" rushing offense with a "power" rushing offense, i.e. an offense that can "run it down people's throats". As long as that phrase has been used to describe a rushing attack, it's been used to describe a power rushing game, not a finesse or misdirection based rushing game.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Nah, it's not being picky; it's just a simple matter of proper definition.

It's kind of like the difference between "running over" or "running through" a defender versus "running around" a defender.

Ingram, Trent, Lacy, Fowler, and Yeldon have done a lot of "running over" or "running through" defenders. Onterio McCaleb, on the other hand, did very little of that. That doesn't mean that he isn't a good Running Back. He did a lot of "running around" defenders. We've had a plethora of backs over the past few season that could, almost at will, both run over as well as run around defenders. The fact that running over defenders isn't a strength - or perhaps really even an ability - of McCaleb doesn't mean that he isn't a good Running Back; it just means that he's a different type of Running Back.

You're confusing a "good" or "productive" rushing offense with a "power" rushing offense, i.e. an offense that can "run it down people's throats". As long as that phrase has been used to describe a rushing attack, it's been used to describe a power rushing game, not a finesse or misdirection based rushing game.
I agree with you. I know some of these spread offenses run the ball well but I would never say they are running it down their throats. They are getting cute and gimmicky with a finesse offense and I will never acknowledge these type offenses as such.

In Hsv

Sep 28, 2009
There seems to be a mixing of the "spread" versus the read option offenses. Many power running teams including Alabama incorporate principals of the spead by going to mulitple wideouts. The only time we run the read option is Q4 to run out thee clock....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.