Question: Are Armed Teachers the Answer to stop future school massacres?

Should teachers be trained and armed for school safety?

• Yes

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm a gun nut & this is an insane idea, as bad as Obummer solving a problem that doesn't exist by taking away weapons not used in school shootings.

1) School shootings are inside jobs. A guy does not wake up in a bad mood, go to a school he's never been inside of and start firing. These are always students who attend(Ed) the school and know their way around. Unlike the 1984 McDonalds or 1991 Lubys, these are done by people who know hiding places & what time of day things happen.

2) Thus - who do you think the inside guy is going to shoot first? This is why the NRA solution won't work.

3) Better yet, the odds are much higher a student might steal the gun from teacher's purse, raincoat, whatever and kill someone.

Here us the answer to school shootings: there is no such thing as total security and anyone who says so is lying to himself.

This is a BAD idea!!!

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I know if my high school english had a pistol in the top left drawer there would have been several days where she would have pulled it out and shot us all. She was not well put together and we tried to push her buttons. Not a good combination.

There is a lot of immature behavior at schools even among teachers. It would be easy for situations to get out of control pretty quickly.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm a gun nut & this is an insane idea, as bad as Obummer solving a problem that doesn't exist by taking away weapons not used in school shootings.

1) School shootings are inside jobs. A guy does not wake up in a bad mood, go to a school he's never been inside of and start firing. These are always students who attend(Ed) the school and know their way around. Unlike the 1984 McDonalds or 1991 Lubys, these are done by people who know hiding places & what time of day things happen.

2) Thus - who do you think the inside guy is going to shoot first? This is why the NRA solution won't work.

3) Better yet, the odds are much higher a student might steal the gun from teacher's purse, raincoat, whatever and kill someone.

Here us the answer to school shootings: there is no such thing as total security and anyone who says so is lying to himself.

This is a BAD idea!!!
You don't reveal who's carrying.

Schools already do this, btw...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
It is a moronic idea, the safety concerns of which are likely exceeded only by the liability issues.
What solution would you see as better? Like I said, I can see both sides because throwing staples won't protect the kids and I don't think the average citizen not used to firing a weapon understand the liability. This at least involves extensive and ongoing training.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
What solution would you see as better? Like I said, I can see both sides because throwing staples won't protect the kids and I don't think the average citizen not used to firing a weapon understand the liability. This at least involves extensive and ongoing training.
Off the top of my head, and hardly comprehensive:
1. More attention to mental health issues, so that perhaps some at-risk people get the help they need before they start contemplating mass murder.
2. Better screening of gun applications, to make it a little harder for people already classified as mentally unstable to get their hands on guns.
3. Advanced emergency planning for schools, so that if, God forbid, another incident does occur, the faculty will have plans in place to protect the children until the police can arrive.
4. The understanding that there is no perfect solution.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
Just a thought...... would the very make-up of someone willing to be a grade school teacher as a career prevent them from(or cause hesitation in) shooting a student?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I lean more to the idea of retired police, or military to serve in the capacity of a security presence. I think that if you remove the label of soft target from schools these events would be reduced. You do have to concede the idea that no place is 100% safe from people determined to do evil.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Why can't the answer be, "There IS NO solution."

Because there isn't.

Mental health screening is not full-proof.
Background checks don't prevent theft of guns.
Ammo limits don't prevent theft of ammo.
And could we please stop blaming video games and movies? Folks who do that are as dumb as the folks who think that playing "Stairway to Heaven" backwards causes suicide.

Oh - and how many of you knew that the VA TECH shooter had 10- and 15-round clips? NOT hundred round mags.

The risk/reward of what can happen is simply not worth it.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Nothing is fool proof. Did you work at Ford when they made the decision that a few people being burned alive was OK?

Although Ford had access to a new design which would decrease the possibility of the Ford Pinto from exploding, the company chose not to implement the design, which would have cost $11 per car, even though it had done an analysis showing that the new design would result in 180 less deaths. The company defended itself on the grounds that it used the accepted risk/benefit analysis to determine if the monetary costs of making the change were greater than the societal benefit. Based on the numbers Ford used, the cost would have been $137 million versus the $49.5 million price tag put on the deaths, injuries, and car damages, and thus Ford felt justified not implementing the design change. This risk/benefit analysis was created out of the development of product liability, culminating at Judge Learned Hand's BPL formula, where if the expected harm exceeded the cost to take the precaution, then the company must take the precaution, whereas if the cost was liable, then it did not have to. However, the BPL formula focuses on a specific accident, while the risk/benefit analysis requires an examination of the costs, risks, and benefits through use of the product as a whole. Based on this analysis, Ford legally chose not to make the design changes which would have made the Pinto safer. However, just because it was legal doesn't necessarily mean that it was ethical. It is difficult to understand how a price can be put on saving a human life.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Why can't the answer be, "There IS NO solution."

Because there isn't.

Mental health screening is not full-proof.
Background checks don't prevent theft of guns.
Ammo limits don't prevent theft of ammo.
And could we please stop blaming video games and movies? Folks who do that are as dumb as the folks who think that playing "Stairway to Heaven" backwards causes suicide.

Oh - and how many of you knew that the VA TECH shooter had 10- and 15-round clips? NOT hundred round mags.

The risk/reward of what can happen is simply not worth it.
I voted "yes", yet your perspective resonates with me.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
No way to stop shootings like this, but we can at least give the kids a chance. 'Gun free zones' are among the most moronic ideas ever, based entirely on hopes and dreams.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.