AJ Squats 600 Today

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Dan,

Based on my recollection, this is correct. Strength and conditioning was pretty much nonexistent between Fran leaving and Saban arriving. I was living in T-town during the Shula years and all of this was common knowledge to anybody that was in the area and closely followed the program. Ironically, of all of the holdovers from the Mike Price/Franchione staff that stayed after he got here, Shula decided to fire probably the best and most well-thought of coach of all of them, Ben Pollard--the s/c coach that Fran brought in when he came. Granted, he was no Scott Cochran but he was well regarded inside the profession and had our players in good physical shape while he was here.
Yep. As much as it pains me to say anything nice about Fran, his S&C program was pretty strong. Not Cochran strong, but well-above average.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I have no idea if that lift would meet serious weight lifting competition standards, but I think it is darn impressive either way. I hope we never let him do it again, because the board's server would probably ignite if AJ hurt his legs or back attempting those levels of weight, but it's an impressive sight.

And I agree with all those who say Brodie could have made things very different for himself with a better work ethic. I also agree with those who say he would have performed better with the supporting cast we have had the last three seasons, and that includes the coaches, if you want to look at it that way. But I don't think any kind of weight training would have saved him from knee trouble -- that was just a matter of time.

Man, I'll be glad when the season starts. This is starting to feel like Coke vs. Pepsi and helmet colors -- and here I am contributing to it. Yikes.

Rueben

All-American
Sep 5, 2008
NAHTOD
Another thread that turned into bashing one of our former coaches and QB.
As I said earlier, I am not bashing Mike Shula. I think he was an awesome quarterback, and he stepped up and took a job when no one else would. However I think he lacked both the age and maturity to be at the level of Head Coach at the University of Alabama. He wanted to be the players friend first and coach second.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.