Oct 27 - You Make the Call

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
During a running play, the forward progress of a RB for Team Red is stopped and the play is blown dead by the covering official. The RB continues to struggle forward despite repeated blasts from the official's whistle. Should anything be done in this case?

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
I would say no...and the reason is>>>

While this is a judgement call and the official certainly has the ability to throw a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct, it is generally understood in that situation that the player is simply trying to get the first down regardless of whether or not the whistle had been blown. 99.9% of the time I've witnessed this, the officials simply grab the player and tell them to stop that the play is over and that's it.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
My guess

Probably a delay of game penality for not giving the football to the official.... I assume if he is continuing to "struggle", the defense still has a hold on him and I would not want to penalize just the offense... If the defense continues, it would be unnecessary roughness.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Here's the official ruling: If the runner refuses to stop, it is delay of game. Now, I agree with Alanbama - it is kind of a judgment call, and I believe I would give a warning to the running back before flagging. It would really depend on the situation.

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
Question Hawk...

tidehawk said:
Here's the official ruling: If the runner refuses to stop, it is delay of game. Now, I agree with Alanbama - it is kind of a judgment call, and I believe I would give a warning to the running back before flagging. It would really depend on the situation.

I understand the delay of game, but I've seen this happen and although every rare, I've seen an unsportsmanlike penalty called because the player wasn't just trying to push a pile but run over somebody after the play was blown dead.

Isn't the entire call and what is or is not called a judgement call? In other words, if the player is not pushing hard but enough that it bothers you after you blow your whistle you could call it a delay of game. However, if the player is acting crazy and could potentially hurt someone you could call unsportsmanlike...is that correct?

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Alanbama, it really does depend upon the situation. Yeah, if a guy is going nuts, I'm going to flag him for unsportsmanlike conduct. But if it a matter of his ignoring the whistle, it would probably be delay of game.

I guess you could say that any call is "judgment" - it is up to the official to make sure he knows the rule book and applies correct judgment according to what the rules dictate.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.