Explosions rock the finish line at the Boston Marathon

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011
News reports said they had a Saudi national yesterday as a person of interest so I didn't assume anything.
I take back what I said, then. I'm sorry. I read that report too (but I would just like to point out that that report was denied by the Boston Globe or Boston police or someone else that matters), and that we still do not know that it was an attack from the Middle East.

Columbine, OKC, Newtown, Aurora, Atlanta

PLENTY of tragedies were without any middle eastern involvement.

Let's make a list of all Americans killed by terrorism and next to them annotate whether the were Islamic extremists or "domestic terrorists.". I have a pretty good idea how that list would go.

I am also not saying it is one or the other but the fact of the matter is we as a society should accept the people who want to kill us are Islamic extremists. They want to destroy our very way of life. But political correctness keeps us from just calling it what it is. Believe me when I say this, yesterday pales in comparison to what they would do to you and your entire family if given the opportunity. I've seen it, firsthand.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
Why use the word Islamic after extremists? I'm pretty sure extremists of any religion want to kill others. I'm not saying many Islamic people don't hate us... Or that it is definitely not an Islamic attack. But saying for sure that it is.... that's pretty damn un-American.

Last edited:

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
I take back what I said, then. I read that report too (but I would just like to point out that that report was denied by the Boston Globe or Boston police or someone else that matters), and that we still do not know that it was an attack from the Middle East.

Columbine, OKC, Newtown, Aurora, Atlanta

PLENTY of tragedies were without any middle eastern involvement.
He is just a "person of interest" as of now.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
He is just a "person of interest" as of now.

By the end of the national news cast on my local station it was being reported there was no one of "interest" and no one of any nationality had been identified. Which I thought was a bunch of bullcrap. It seems someone in the news room or somewhere started thinking about not offending a potential terrorist group......ooops! I typed "terrorist". That's offensive to those who speak in explosives and killing people. I'm sorry.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Why use the word Islamic after extremists? I'm pretty sure extremists of any religion want to kill others. I'm not saying many Islamic people don't hate us... Or that it is definitely not an Islamic attack. But saying for sure that it is.... that's pretty damn un-American.
I'm not worried about Islamic people that don't hate us.

It's the ones that do -- that worry me......

Un-American?

I think that when people from other countries laugh, dream, and concoct ways to kill me, just because I'm an American -- and yet, they get defended by The Left -- because we don't want to OFFEND them? They are true Americans?

I point a finger at a group that has promised to attack us -- as a possible cause of the problem, and I'm "Un-American"?

Wow --

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Un-American?

I think that when people from other countries laugh, dream, and concoct ways to kill me, just because I'm an American -- and yet, they get defended by The Left -- because we don't want to OFFEND them? They are true Americans?

I point a finger at a group that has promised to attack us -- as a possible cause of the problem, and I'm "Un-American"?

Wow --
i would suggest switching to decaf ;)

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011

Un-American?

Wow --

I didn't say anything about offending.
Lots of Americans want to kill other Americans. I called you that because you assume that the group was Islamic (you say there is a good chance they were). How do you quantify "good chance"? Because of one event? You talked about sample size in an earlier post... Sample size is measured by number of events - not the repercussions of those events.
and the only attack on US soil by Islamic extremists was 9/11 (off the top of my head).

While we've had Atlanta, Aurora, Newtown, OKC, etc

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
Lots of Americans want to kill other Americans. I called you that because you assume that the group was Islamic (you say there is a good chance they were). How do you quantify "good chance"? Because of one event? You talked about sample size in an earlier post... Sample size is measured by number of events - not the repercussions of those events.
and the only attack on US soil by Islamic extremists was 9/11 (off the top of my head).

Name another "extemist group" that has killed more Americans and made it known they won't stop until they bring down our way of life. The ones that tried to kill me were Muslims. That I do know.

Johnnyb

1st Team
Jan 4, 2011
Huntsville, AL
Gosh.

Once again... How do you know it was an extremist group... And not one psycho?
So far from what I'm hearing, these bombs are very similar to the crude types used by insurgents and terrorist organizations in other countries. Doesn't guarantee that it was done by a muslim terrorist group, and especially considering none of them have claimed responsibility, it's actually beginning to look like it may have been a smaller cell not necessarily affiliated with a larger group. It's really all up in the air at this point, and I'm very anxious to find out more about who could have done this.

Also, there have been other attacks on American soil and Americans by muslims since 2000. The USS Cole is one instance, I would argue the attack at Ft. Hood, Texas qualifies, Bengazi was also an American consulate. Aside from that, there have been many, many terrorist attacks involving bombs in other countries. The Heathrow, London bombing, some in Spain (on a train I believe), and several others in Europe. It's a bit of a calling card for islamic terrorist for the past decade really. So to suspect that a islamic terrorist group is behind this attack is certainly not an outlandish statement to make. Granted, we don't know who did it yet, but that would be the type of group to be very high on the suspect list.

Edit: USS Cole happened before 9/11, updated to just refer since the turning of the century.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

The Trade Center Bombing
Ft Hood Attack (if you can call Newtown an "Terrorist" attack -- you have to say "Ft Hood" was a "Terrorist" attack, right?)
The USS Cole

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
One last thing -- and then I'll proceed to banging my head against the wall -- lol -- which is what it feels like on here sometimes....

How many terrorist attacks have we avoided over the past several years.....Times Square, the Detroit "underwear" Bomber, the Cleveland Bridge Bombing that never happened.....just because we stop them didn't change who was trying to do it........

(heavy sigh) -- for those of you with you head buried in the sand -- be careful of what is buried down there......especially if there is a big dog that lives near by......

Johnnyb

1st Team
Jan 4, 2011
Huntsville, AL
Here's a more in depth look at some of the terror attacks since 2000:

Oct. 12, Aden, Yemen: U.S. Navy destroyer USS Cole heavily damaged when a small boat loaded with explosives blew up alongside it. 17 sailors killed. Linked to Osama bin Laden, or members of al-Qaeda terrorist network
Sept. 11, New York City, Arlington, Va., and Shanksville, Pa.: hijackers crashed 2 commercial jets into twin towers of World Trade Center; 2 more hijacked jets were crashed into the Pentagon and a field in rural Pa. Total dead and missing numbered 2,992[SUP]1[/SUP]: 2,749 in New York City, 184 at the Pentagon, 40 in Pa., and 19 hijackers. Islamic al-Qaeda terrorist group blamed.
June 1, Little Rock, Arkansas:
Abdulhakim Muhammed, a Muslim convert from Memphis, Tennessee, is charged with shooting two soldiers outside a military recruiting center. One is killed and the other is wounded. In a January 2010 letter to the judge hearing his case, Muhammed asked to change his plea from not guilty to guilty, claimed ties to al-Qaeda, and called the shooting a jihadi attack "to fight those who wage war on Islam and Muslims.
"Dec. 25: A Nigerian man on a flight from Amsterdam to Detroit attempted to ignite an explosive device hidden in his underwear. The explosive device that failed to detonate was a mixture of powder and liquid that did not alert security personnel in the airport. The alleged bomber, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, told officials later that he was directed by the terrorist group Al Qaeda. The suspect was already on the government's watch list when he attempted the bombing; his father, a respected Nigerian banker, had told the U.S. government that he was worried about his son's increased extremism.
May 1, New York City: a car bomb is discovered in Times Square, New York City after smoke is seen coming from a vehicle. The bomb was ignited, but failed to detonate and was disarmed before it could cause any harm. Times Square was evacuated as a safety precaution. Faisal Shahzad pleads guilty to placing the bomb as well as 10 terrorism and weapons charges.
May 10, Jacksonville, Florida: a pipe bomb explodes while approximately 60 Muslims are praying in the mosque. The attack causes no injuries.
Oct. 29: two packages are found on separate cargo planes. Each package contains a bomb consisting of 300 to 400 grams (11-14 oz) of plastic explosives and a detonating mechanism. The bombs are discovered as a result of intelligence received from Saudi Arabia's security chief. The packages, bound from Yemen to the United States, are discovered at en route stop-overs, one in England and one in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.
Sept. 11, Benghazi, Libya: militants armed with antiaircraft weapons and rocket-propelled grenades fire upon the American consulate, killing U.S. ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and three other embassy officials. U.S. secretary of state Hillary Clinton said the U.S. believed that Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, a group closely linked to Al Qaeda, orchestrated the attack.

You can read more here:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001454.html

So you tell me who seems to be committing most of the terrorist attacks against the US?

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Really? That was your first impression?

Two bombs go off, 3 dead, 140 injured, body parts and blood everywhere, and you think....."I bet is was a douchebag"?
Yes, really. That was his first impression. And you were discussing politics. So?

I think incredulity is better used on, well, the event itself.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.