Serial or Complete Novel?

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
OK, Tidefans readers. I'm 2/3 through the first draft of a new sci-fi novel I'm writing. I should have it ready for publication (as an ebook) in September. I'm considering publishing it as a serial novel in 3 parts. Then, at a later date, publish the novel in it's entirety. Publish Part 1 in August, Part 2 in September, Part 3 in October, then the complete novel in December. There would be a cliffhanger at the end of Parts 1 and 2. And there would be characters and plots that would carry through the entire novel.

In serial format, each part would be approximately 130 pages and would sale for $1.99. The complete novel would be priced at $3.98. This would allow readers to sample the book for only $1.99. If they like what they read they can continue to buy each installment when it's published, or buy the complete book when it's done. OTOH, if they don't care for it, they've only invested $1.99.

The other option is to simply publish the entire novel (no serialization) for $4.99 in October.

I know a lot of people don't like serial novels. They would prefer to just wait and get the whole novel at once so they can read it straight through. But serial novels are starting to gain popularity.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this.

Many thanks,
Merrill Heath

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
OK, Tidefans readers. I'm 2/3 through the first draft of a new sci-fi novel I'm writing. I should have it ready for publication (as an ebook) in September. I'm considering publishing it as a serial novel in 3 parts. Then, at a later date, publish the novel in it's entirety. Publish Part 1 in August, Part 2 in September, Part 3 in October, then the complete novel in December. There would be a cliffhanger at the end of Parts 1 and 2. And there would be characters and plots that would carry through the entire novel.

In serial format, each part would be approximately 130 pages and would sale for $1.99. The complete novel would be priced at $3.98. This would allow readers to sample the book for only $1.99. If they like what they read they can continue to buy each installment when it's published, or buy the complete book when it's done. OTOH, if they don't care for it, they've only invested $1.99.

The other option is to simply publish the entire novel (no serialization) for $4.99 in October.

I know a lot of people don't like serial novels. They would prefer to just wait and get the whole novel at once so they can read it straight through. But serial novels are starting to gain popularity.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this.

Many thanks,
Merrill Heath
$1.99 or $4.99 doesn't matter to me. If the book sounds interesting, I'll read it -- the cost differential is nominal in my opinion. Personally, I would prefer to read the complete book. Oh by the way, I'm interested in hearing what the book is about.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The Return of the Serial Novel (good summary of the resurrection of this form of publishing)
Others worry that if readers are forced to wait, they might not return. In an era when people binge on streaming TV shows and can instantly download all 20 books in their favorite crime series, the weekly-appointment model might not hold up, says Dan Weiss, publisher at large at St. Martin's, who has overseen the development of several serials.
This describes me.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Thanks for the comments. I've decided to release it as a complete novel and not in serial format. I think that will work best. Some people like serial novels, but some do not. OTOH, everyone who reads likes novels. So it's kind of pointless to serialize this particular story. There are stories that are perfect for serialization - for example, a story about a high school football team where a new episode is released every Friday to correspond with the game that week. But even then you're competing with TV.

Also, from a purely business perspective, it would cut into my profits. Publishing on Amazon, I get 35% royalty on a short piece priced at $1.99. But I get 70% royalty on a novel priced at $4.99. I'd have to sell three times as many copies in the serial format to make the same as I would from the complete novel. That ain't gonna happen.

So, look for Timebox to be available this fall - most likely in October. I'll post a synopsis so you can see what it's about.

Thanks, again, for the feedback.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Timebox

Synergistic Escapes, Inc., has developed technology that allows you to experience a virtual vacation that is amazingly realistic. Not only that, but the time ratio is approximately 40:1. In other words, one minute of real time is the equivalent of forty minutes on a virtual vacation. That means if you’re stressed out at work and need a few days off, you can go to the beach for three days…during your lunch break.

James Deniston, the CEO of SEI, wants to expand into the business sector, which could make the 40-hour work week obsolete in some industries. But he needs investors to help with the cost for research and development.

Marcus Ramey sees the potential and is willing to invest. But he also has a more personal interest. He wants SEI to create a simulation where he can spend time with his wife who died in a tragic car accident twelve years ago.

Patricia Wellman uses the virtual world to escape from an unhappy marriage. She may not consider her actions as being unfaithful since she’s not physically committing adultery. But her husband doesn’t agree.

Pete Gunther is a disgruntled ex-employee who gets his kicks from hacking into the simulations and harassing the vacationers. But Pete’s focus changes when he’s hired by a secretive agency to develop a prototype that could be used for corporate espionage, as well as other potentially subversive activities.

And then there’s Ray Frazier, a serial killer who uses the virtual vacations to select his victims. It’s up to SEI Security Officer Joanne Parker and FBI Profiler Mike Crawford to find the killer before he can strike again.

Through the actions of these characters, and more, Timebox explores the moral and ethical dilemmas a virtual world presents in a taught techno-thriller where the boundaries between what is real and what is not become hard to define...but the consequences are all too real.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Timebox

Synergistic Escapes, Inc., has developed technology that allows you to experience a virtual vacation that is amazingly realistic. Not only that, but the time ratio is approximately 40:1. In other words, one minute of real time is the equivalent of forty minutes on a virtual vacation. That means if you’re stressed out at work and need a few days off, you can go to the beach for three days…during your lunch break.

James Deniston, the CEO of SEI, wants to expand into the business sector, which could make the 40-hour work week obsolete in some industries. But he needs investors to help with the cost for research and development.

Marcus Ramey sees the potential and is willing to invest. But he also has a more personal interest. He wants SEI to create a simulation where he can spend time with his wife who died in a tragic car accident twelve years ago.

Patricia Wellman uses the virtual world to escape from an unhappy marriage. She may not consider her actions as being unfaithful since she’s not physically committing adultery. But her husband doesn’t agree.

Pete Gunther is a disgruntled ex-employee who gets his kicks from hacking into the simulations and harassing the vacationers. But Pete’s focus changes when he’s hired by a secretive agency to develop a prototype that could be used for corporate espionage, as well as other potentially subversive activities.

And then there’s Ray Frazier, a serial killer who uses the virtual vacations to select his victims. It’s up to SEI Security Officer Joanne Parker and FBI Profiler Mike Crawford to find the killer before he can strike again.

Through the actions of these characters, and more, Timebox explores the moral and ethical dilemmas a virtual world presents in a taught techno-thriller where the boundaries between what is real and what is not become hard to define...but the consequences are all too real.
What about the guy who wants to just live in the box full time because his real life is crap? I could see addiction becoming a real problem with such a technology.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
What about the guy who wants to just live in the box full time because his real life is crap? I could see addiction becoming a real problem with such a technology.
Yep, that's an issue that's touched on in the book. One of the minor characters has MS and the virtual world is where she wants to stay because in there she does not suffer from her disease.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.