News Article: Which Dynasty Is More Impressive - Alabama Or Nebraska?

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
As far as rationalization I simply stand by the point - Nebraska did not play the schedule Alabama did, period. I can see why that statement would be made about the aTm loss, which I feared. But fine - we lost.

Times we were shut out: 0

9-21-96
Arizona State 19
Nebraska 0
Yep I agree. Although I would say that the A&M loss was due more to AJ's injury against MSU and the accompanying stubborn playcalling that did not want to adjust for it. Which I think furthers your point about level of competition. A fairly serious injury to our starting QB was the slight advantage both LSU and A&M needed to put their boots on our throat, as opposed to Nebraska dominating with a 3rd string QB. :)

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
What gives it to Alabama is the domination of good opponents in the title game. It's almost like watching a Tyson fight. Over in the first round.

Yep and it's a run that will most likely never be threatened.

Something else to consider is that Nebraska's run was chemically enhanced. :rolleye2:

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
Without a doubt it is Nebraska. I don't think Bama can be in the discussion until they quit losing home games in November. Bama has lost a home game the last two seasons and I believe that keeps them from being a really dominant dynasty. Look at the 95 Nebraska team, they killed everything in their path.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Without a doubt it is Nebraska. I don't think Bama can be in the discussion until they quit losing home games in November. Bama has lost a home game the last two seasons and I believe that keeps them from being a really dominant dynasty. Look at the 95 Nebraska team, they killed everything in their path.
When you win three out of the last four national titles in a number 1 vs. 2 matchup you can put your dynasty up against any dynasty if you ask me. Nebraska was good, there is no doubt, but Alabama's run isn't bad at all. It may not even be over. We add a couple of more and there will be no need to even discuss if any further.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And if Alabama played as soft a schedule as the Cornhuskers, they'd be undefeated, too.

And btw - Alabama has actually lost a home game in November the past THREE seasons. Of course, they lost them to Top Ten teams, which Nebraska rarely played in November.

However - if you want to use that line of reasoning, I'm fine with it.

That means:

1) Utah is better than Florida in 2008 (look what happened when they play someone - they stink)
2) Hawaii and Kansas are better than LSU in 2007
3) Boise State is better than Florida in 2006 (sure UF played the toughest schedule in the nation, but for Pete's sake they LOST to Auburn
4) Utah is co-champ in 2004, too
5) Marshall is better than Nebraska in 1999
6) Tulane is K-State in 1998

If the argument is "well they went unbeaten and it doesn't matter who you play" then you're right. If the schedule matters, they are not even in the same solar system.

califbamafan

1st Team
Nov 7, 2005
Rialto, Calif
The 66 bama team was the best team to never win the championship(political reasons). we should already have 3 in a row. This year it is time to finally get that 3rd in a row. At that point there will be no debate as to who is the best.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama

Stupid post, totally devoid of any logic and intended for shock value only.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
And if Alabama played as soft a schedule as the Cornhuskers, they'd be undefeated, too.

And btw - Alabama has actually lost a home game in November the past THREE seasons. Of course, they lost them to Top Ten teams, which Nebraska rarely played in November.

However - if you want to use that line of reasoning, I'm fine with it.

That means:

1) Utah is better than Florida in 2008 (look what happened when they play someone - they stink)
2) Hawaii and Kansas are better than LSU in 2007
3) Boise State is better than Florida in 2006 (sure UF played the toughest schedule in the nation, but for Pete's sake they LOST to Auburn
4) Utah is co-champ in 2004, too
5) Marshall is better than Nebraska in 1999
6) Tulane is K-State in 1998

If the argument is "well they went unbeaten and it doesn't matter who you play" then you're right. If the schedule matters, they are not even in the same solar system.
To answer your above question, no. Comparing undefeated Utah, Hawaii, Boise State and Marshall to Nebraska's undefeated teams is not even close. That 95' Nebraska team may have played a weaker schedule, but they obliterated one of the best SEC teams ever. And that was not a case of Florida over looking Nebraska like Bama vs Utah or Florida vs Louisville.

Teams don't make their schedule, they play the schedule that is handed to them years in advance. They just have to handle their business and make the most of it. The 95' Nebraska team may not have had as tough of a schedule, but they did what they needed to do and destroyed every team by more than 30 points (going by memory here). Then they killed Steve Spurrier's best team by 35 points. Don't forget that Florida team went through the SEC that year and blew up everyone.

In my opinion, all the great teams had long home game winning streaks. Look at Miami in the 80s, they had something like a 50+ game streak or some of Bryant's teams from the 70s. I just don't think scheduling is an excuse to lose home games when you are talking about best dynasties ever. I think you are being held to a higher standard. Just my opinion.

Let me ask you, do you think our 2011 or 2012 team would have beat that 95' Nebraska team?

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
Stupid post, totally devoid of any logic and intended for shock value only.
Why stupid? Because I am being objective and looking at how strong and dominant that Nebraska team was in 1995. We may not agree, but I think I have a strong argument for what I feel was the greatest college football team I ever saw. Just because I am a Bama fan doesn't mean I can't appreciate the great accomplishments from other teams.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Why stupid? Because I am being objective and looking at how strong and dominant that Nebraska team was in 1995. We may not agree, but I think I have a strong argument for what I feel was the greatest college football team I ever saw. Just because I am a Bama fan doesn't mean I can't appreciate the great accomplishments from other teams.
You have a strong argument for best TEAM of all time but that is not what this topic is.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama

Because you doubted that Bama was even in the discussion and you inferred that Bama, in spite of 3 titles in 4 years was not even a dominant team.

That doesn't seem to be real bright to me.

You should be able to make your argument based on Nebraska's accomplishments, not by demeaning Bama's.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
Because you doubted that Bama was even in the discussion and you inferred that Bama, in spite of 3 titles in 4 years was not even a dominant team.

That doesn't seem to be real bright to me.

You should be able to make your argument based on Nebraska's accomplishments, not by demeaning Bama's.
I think what Bama has accomplished on this latest run is remarkable. Yes they have been a dominant team, but they did not dominate like Nebraska did during their run. I am sure we are going to win a couple of more natys and the conversation will be over. In the meantime, I don't think we compare to Nebraska's run. When comparing best of all time dynasties, you have to nit pick a little for separation. Losing at home the last two years is what keeps me from anointing this run as the best.

During that Nebraska run, they destroyed Spurrier's best team which included Wueruel (sp?), Anthony, and Hillard for a national championship. They also beat a pretty good Tennessee team lead by Manning for another Title. They were beating the best of the best out of the SEC to win their championships. If I remember correctly, their achilles heel was Florida State. They kept losing to them in the Orange Bowl.

When Bama wins another Naty, I will be on board.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
The best team of all-time was the 71 Nebraska team. Maybe he means the best team of his lifetime which ranks 3rd in this poll. http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/colfootball/teams/best.html But as you say this is not a topic of who is the best team of all-time. ;)
Yes, I mean the best I have personally seen with my eyes. Not around for the 71 team, so I can't comment. The reason I brought the specific year of 95 up is because I like to look at the best team of that particular run. You take that team along with the 94 and the team that beat Manning's Tennessee team and I think you have the best dynasty.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I can't remember if you mentioned it or not Selma but it also speaks to me that 3 of the teams we have lost to over our run have been led by program defining Heisman winners. Tebow, Scam, and Johnny Football. USC beat us on a day that Garcia played like a Heisman winner. The other team to beat us, LSU, although not led by a Heisman winner is arguably the second best team in the country over the time period that our dynasty has been going on.

Not making excuses because I hate the last season losses too but we certainly haven't lost to teams that weren't very capable teams that have the talent to beat anyone on any given day.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Nebraska certainly had a great run thru the mid 90's----3 national championships(2 AP) in four years. There is no doubt though, that Bama has been tested much more severely than the Huskers. During the three championship seasons Bama has played 5 times against the No#1 or No#2 ranked teams (4-1), while Nebraska played 2 games against #2 ranked teams(2-0). Bama has played 10 games against AP top 10 teams(9-1), while Nebraska played just 5 times(5-0) against top 10 during their championship years. Amazingly, Bama has played 19 games against top 25 teams(17-2) during the three championship years while Nebraska played an unusually low 7 games(7-0) against top 25. -----Both were great teams, but, since I am a Bama fan I go with the Tide!

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I think what Bama has accomplished on this latest run is remarkable. Yes they have been a dominant team, but they did not dominate like Nebraska did during their run. I am sure we are going to win a couple of more natys and the conversation will be over. In the meantime, I don't think we compare to Nebraska's run. When comparing best of all time dynasties, you have to nit pick a little for separation. Losing at home the last two years is what keeps me from anointing this run as the best.

During that Nebraska run, they destroyed Spurrier's best team which included Wueruel (sp?), Anthony, and Hillard for a national championship. They also beat a pretty good Tennessee team lead by Manning for another Title. They were beating the best of the best out of the SEC to win their championships. If I remember correctly, their achilles heel was Florida State. They kept losing to them in the Orange Bowl.

Why so hung up on dubbing 95 UF as SOS's "best team"? Did you check with him? I'd bet he might think his 96 team was his best, they outscored his 95 team 611 to 558 and allowed less points 221 to 263, plus they also won the NC by drubbing FSU 52-20.

And as far as beating the best of the SEC to win their championships, well so did Bama. They had to just to get TO the NCG. Well, except for when they SHUT OUT the SEC champs 21-0 in the NC game. The other two years all they did was hand 13-0 Texas their first loss and 12-0 ND their first loss. BTW, to get to 13-0 Texas they also had to go through an undefeated Florida team in Tebow's senior year.

One more thing, in Bama's 3 NC games, against 3 previously undefeated teams, Bama had a run of 69 points scored without allowing ANY to be scored against them. Did the Huskers do anything like that?

Wins another, you'll be on board? So Bama has to win more? Why? Bama has played tougher opponents higher ranking than NU in a way tougher league and we have to win more. Bama has matched NU and then some.

chris

All-SEC
May 17, 2001
loxley,al. 36551
Lot to digest Bill, well done, but regardless whether it is NU or Alabama,"the best college football team in my lifetime, IMO, was the 1971 NU team that destroyed Alabama in the Orange Bowl 38-6.
Totally agree! Rich Glover and mates was perhaps one of the best defensive lines i've seen!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.