Question: Hansen v. Cornwell...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
OU went for him over Cornwell. I know that OU has turned into a spread offense. Is Hansen that type of QB? If so, then I understand the choice...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He's a legacy, which appeared to be a big factor.

Also, Cornwell not being an Oklahoma native didn't put much pressure on either side.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Also, Cornwell not being an Oklahoma native didn't put much pressure on either side.
I just noticed that both Rivals and Scout have him considerably below Cornwell, much lower on Scout. Also, he seems to be called a pro-style QB, so I don't really understand. Schools rarely let legacy-hood affect their decisions in the long run...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Yup..I read with him being a legacy..Some bigtime money boosters really pushed for him being the QB in this class..How true that is..I dunno..With the way "Big Game" Bob is letting his football program slip into mediocrity..I can believe him allowing boosters tell him how to run his football program..

bonehouse81

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2006
Clarksville, TN
Hansen certainly seems like a good prospect -- he's a pretty skilled runner and looks to have nice touch on the ball -- but it definitely was curious that OU had a guy with NFL measurables in their backyard and didn't seem that interested.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
OU folks that I know tell me that Hansen fits the offense Heupel/Stoops want a little better than Cornwell. Cornwell is a pocket passer whereas Hansen has more dual threat capability. And, I don't think he's a football legacy, although I believe his dad attended OU. Recruiting Hansen was easier for them I think because Cornwell is not from Oklahoma and hence had no allegiance to OU.

All that might be true, but it's obvious that Stoops is not getting the players that he once used to get and with SEC penetration into Texas I think OU's recruiting is going to continue to get tougher.

Last edited:

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
I'm sure the kid will do fine. Stoops has had good success with QB's. No reason to think it won't continue.

Last edited:

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Stoops is starting to get competition from Baylor and TCU for the Texas kids. As far as rankings, who knows? I remember P. Sims being highly ranked coming out and he hasn't done much.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Stoops is starting to get competition from Baylor and TCU for the Texas kids. As far as rankings, who knows? I remember P. Sims being highly ranked coming out and he hasn't done much.
I've always said that the two positions hardest to evaluate are OL and QB. With both of them, you need to have them on campus for a year or so before you know what you've got. I've done a little research since I posted this and it looks like Hansen is also rated as a pro style QB. However, he's picked up a lot of yardage on the ground, so he's obviously more dual threat that Cornwell...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Mack started a thread about a month back about the 2010 QB class. That entire class seems to have been overrated, not just Phillip.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Mack started a thread about a month back about the 2010 QB class. That entire class seems to have been overrated, not just Phillip.
It doesn't really take many not to work out when you can only sign 25. It's going to hurt this current class, if we can't get Paige and Foster in. At least, Foster has completed his work. Paige is still taking an online course and won't know until July. Of course, the Clearinghouse will scrutinize that closely also...

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Cornwell might not be dual threat, but he will be a load to bring down. The QB competition will be intense next spring.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Hansen certainly seems like a good prospect -- he's a pretty skilled runner and looks to have nice touch on the ball -- but it definitely was curious that OU had a guy with NFL measurables in their backyard and didn't seem that interested.
Stoops knew we were on him and his ROI would be horrible :wink:. Did not want to get shown up with us coming into his backyard and getting the best player in the state.

narddogg81

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2012
I've always said that the two positions hardest to evaluate are OL and QB. With both of them, you need to have them on campus for a year or so before you know what you've got. I've done a little research since I posted this and it looks like Hansen is also rated as a pro style QB. However, he's picked up a lot of yardage on the ground, so he's obviously more dual threat that Cornwell...

cornwell had 750 yards on the ground and like 6 touchdowns in his junior season, which is more than the top rated dual-threat qb this year (Harris):biggrin2:. thats why cornwell is so exciting, he is obviously a natural passer with a huge arm, but he is so athletic and big that teams will have to respect his running ability much more than they have to for AJ (although AJ is okay). He is a real threat in short yardage situations. Combine that with Cornwell's accuracy and velocity while throwing on the run and youve got a kid with more pure potential at qb than anyone i can remember

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
With the backs we have we don't need a dual threat though Cornwell is quite mobile for a big guy. He kinda reminds me of Matt Jones that played at Arkansas a few years ago.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I'm telling you guys (in the other thread), Cornwell looks like a Ben Rothelisberger clone. Big Ben is VERY mobile for a BIG QB. Cornwell is 6'5" and can probably carry another 20 lbs on his frame (even if he does measure out at 235 lbs). If his career continues in the arc you would hope a QB of his caliber does, this kid is going to be something to watch...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.