Kirby Smart the Snake Killer

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
I had a Cottonmouth come after me once. I don't know what he was thinking, but I don't think he expected the 20 rounds of 7.62x39. :biggrin2:
You must have thrown that box down mighty hard. Wouldn't be the 1st time some Wolf killed a snake. :wink:

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
You must have thrown that box down mighty hard. Wouldn't be the 1st time some Wolf killed a snake. :wink:
No Wolf there. It was some of that gummy stuff from Gonnajamaftertwelveroundsastan that Polish college kids in the early 90's were selling on the street corner for $9.99 per crate. :cool:

I was surprised that I actually emptied the clip.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
No Wolf there. It was some of that gummy stuff from Gonnajamaftertwelveroundsastan that Polish college kids in the early 90's were selling on the street corner for $9.99 per crate. :cool:

I was surprised that I actually emptied the clip.
Probably adrenaline? I would do the same thing. Better safe than sorry.

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
Evidently there are some places snakes truly cause problems. Years ago someone took me to a rattlesnake roundup in Sweetwater, Texas. People were bringing them in by the bag load putting in big pits that looked like a three ringed circus. I was told they rounded them up to kill them because they killed the cattle.....but then again, I was told some people captured them through the year and stored them under their houses where it was cool waiting for the roundup. They used gasoline to spook them out in the spring. Whether true or not I don't know, but I heard stories of neighbors getting together to capture the snakes as they came out after the gasoline was introduced to their hiding places under houses. I guess it was kind of like a barn building party. It seems like there were cash prizes for the snakes. They were killing and cooking some of them....tasted like chicken of course. They also made some weird items out of them. I bought a clear plastic toilet seat with a small rattle snake imbedded in it. After you lifted up the toilet lid, is was staring at you in the seat. My wife threw it away before I could put it on a commode but I still chuckle when I think about what the reaction would have been of guests who used the bathroom.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
I posted about venomous snakes not climbing trees, I was told this by my snake handling neighbor, he also told me about the color going all the way around so this fact may also not be true. If you see a snake with a white belly, don't pick it up, it may be venomous. non venomous snakes will still bite you. Small snakes are more dangerous than large snakes because larger snakes are more lethargic and a smaller snake will empty all his venom in one bite while a larger one will hold some back for the 2nd bite. (also told to me by my snake handling neighbor). :)
Thanks for the advice! Course, to do that, I'd have to get somebody to hold my "I'm Stupid" sign!:)

I think the real point here is.....why ain't CKS out 'cruitin', instead of playing around with snakes??

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Growing up on the Tennessee River, I killed a 6 foot cottonmouth as a kid.....is that big? ;)

If it was really a cottonmouth, it would be close to a world record. I had a buddy on the fire dept in Orlando that caught one tht was right at 6' long, he thought it might be a record, but Bill Haast in Miami told him that the record was a little over 6' long. Bobby, who was kinda different decided to keep it and try to grow it to world record size. He would put it in the bathtub to feed it, frogs, mice, fish, etc. He had a lot of interesting stuff happen to him with that snake, but the snake died of dehydration after a few months.

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
The snake in the picture isn't a cottonmouth , chicken "rat" snake or a king cobra . It's a banded water snake . Water snakes , when frightened , can flatten their heads and bodies to make them appear thicker bodied , often causing them to be mistaken for cottonmouths . Speaking of cobras , the previously mentioned coral snake , is a relative of the old world cobras . They are not pit vipers . Roll Tide anyway .

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
If it was really a cottonmouth, it would be close to a world record. I had a buddy on the fire dept in Orlando that caught one tht was right at 6' long, he thought it might be a record, but Bill Haast in Miami told him that the record was a little over 6' long. Bobby, who was kinda different decided to keep it and try to grow it to world record size. He would put it in the bathtub to feed it, frogs, mice, fish, etc. He had a lot of interesting stuff happen to him with that snake, but the snake died of dehydration after a few months.

Greatest post ever.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.