New Video Rules Available to Football Coaches Beginning This Fall

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

Thanks to a new National Federation rule passed in January, Alabama high schools will be allowed to use video during the game – on the sideline and in the locker room at halftime – and make immediate adjustments based on the video study.

“Even the pros can’t have video on the sidelines,” said veteran coach Terry Curtis, who has led UMS-Wright to five state titles. “That film is not going to lie. There’s no telling where people are going to go with this.”
Thoughts?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Don't like it but I do at the same time.

What this will go to is who are the "have" and "have nots". The schools like Hoover, UMS, and Davidson that was featured CAN afford stuff like that to have a flat screen on the sideline to do what they wish. Teams like my alma mater 1A Winterboro probably would never be able to afford this type of stuff. I think it should be like the headset rule in college, if one h.s. does NOT have the ability to have this stuff the other school should not be able to use it that night. Just my lowly opinion of course.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Don't like it but I do at the same time.

What this will go to is who are the "have" and "have nots". The schools like Hoover, UMS, and Davidson that was featured CAN afford stuff like that to have a flat screen on the sideline to do what they wish. Teams like my alma mater 1A Winterboro probably would never be able to afford this type of stuff. I think it should be like the headset rule in college, if one h.s. does NOT have the ability to have this stuff the other school should not be able to use it that night. Just my lowly opinion of course.
Talked about this with a guy from work who played high school football and coaches peewee in Montgomery. He and I agreed this should be limited to certain classifications. 5A and 6A schools are really the only ones that can afford the equipment.

I like your idea, though. Should only be used if both teams have it.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I know a lot of 5A schools that can't afford it. I like the idea but only the big money fed schools will be only to afford it. The others without booster programs will not be using this. I'm just glad the AHSAA is trying to do something decent these days:wink:

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Talked about this with a guy from work who played high school football and coaches peewee in Montgomery. He and I agreed this should be limited to certain classifications. 5A and 6A schools are really the only ones that can afford the equipment.
Here's the simple way to do it that would cost less than $500 to get started:

1) Get 2 used ipads - $400
2) Get a MiFi device (or 2) - Free + $20/month
3) use the video capabilities of one ipad to video every play from the booth (start/stop at beginning/ending of every play), have it auto-sync to iCloud and auto-download to the other ipad. Alternatively, you could setup the network to share videos only via the local wifi and forget about syncing until after the game.
4) voila - no need for any fancy video devices, videography machines, computers, etc, etc. You'll be able to pretty easily see formations, plays, etc. assuming you have halfway decent lighting on the field and nothing to whine about for haves/have nots. I've watched my brother's HS softball team play a few games basically doing this same thing but via facetime remotely.
5) to make it fancier, get a small tailgating tent to setup on sidelines, attach a $200 39" HD LED/LCD TV to it along with an appleTV ($99), use it to play the videos. AppleTV will sync from the cloud, too.

For under $1000 you can have all this setup by game 2. Any booster program that doesn't do it for its less-than-wealthy school isn't worthy of its name, IMHO.

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
The only problem with your plan is that, at this time, iCloud only syncs photos, not videos.

It would be even cheaper to just get a decent web cam and use a laptop that the school probably already owns to record the video. Save it to a shared folder and install a cheap wifi router in the press box so that the shared folder can be seen on a second laptop on the sideline. If the school already has a few laptops then this could be done for less then $100.

You wouldn't even need to connect that router to the internet, as long as both laptops are connected to it, it would be like a small private network.

Not every school will be able to afford fancy HD cameras and TVs but, every school should be able to throw something together. Like I just showed, less then $100 gets you going so this haves vs have nots excuse doesn't fly IMO.

With that said, I'm not sure how I feel. Just seems like a "the games to hard so let's make it easier" type of rule.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Then you run into a problem that MANY small schools have, say here in Alpine we have just a few feet from the sideline to the fence. I doubt it would be enough room to put out a laptop on a table, etc. with everything you would need. It would have to be someone holding an Ipad or whatever or nothing. Last I heard they had problems buying equipment much less electronics...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.