DT Matt Elam Signs With Kentucky

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Re: CB Tony Brown commits to Bama!!! RTR!!

Guys living in the state of KY now, where one top recruit comes out every 10-15 yrs, I am never able to add any information on recruiting but I love the insight by RTO & Jam. But with I will say it again, one of my top 5 friends takes him on all recruiting visits for his father, who is the HC of John Hardin HS where Matt plays. We have been his only other option the entire process besides UK. And unless CNS pulls off some type of miracle the kid is going to UK. He just doesn't want to leave home and UK's campus is 1 hour from his house. Elam is going to play for the worst team in the SEC and he won't make a difference in their record but is good enough to make it to the next level no matter where he plays. I hate it as much as any other die hard Bama fan but, I just wanted to offer my input again. Nothing has changed and I talked to my best friend 2 days ago and he assured me that he is def going to UK. He has kept me informed through Matt's entire recruiting process because he knows how much I love Bama but, we missed this one.
Yea, we heard you the first 10 times. Fact is, it's not over til it's over and we ain't givin up yet. BTW, this is the Tony Brown to Bama thread.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Guys living in the state of KY now, where one top recruit comes out every 10-15 yrs, I am never able to add any information on recruiting but I love the insight by RTO & Jam. But with I will say it again, one of my top 5 friends takes him on all recruiting visits for his father, who is the HC of John Hardin HS where Matt plays. We have been his only other option the entire process besides UK. And unless CNS pulls off some type of miracle the kid is going to UK. He just doesn't want to leave home and UK's campus is 1 hour from his house. Elam is going to play for the worst team in the SEC and he won't make a difference in their record but is good enough to make it to the next level no matter where he plays. I hate it as much as any other die hard Bama fan but, I just wanted to offer my input again. Nothing has changed and I talked to my best friend 2 days ago and he assured me that he is def going to UK. He has kept me informed through Matt's entire recruiting process because he knows how much I love Bama but, we missed this one.
Why wouldn't he just say he is going to Kentucky then? Seems like he may be putting it off so he doesn't have to take the heat from the home state any longer than he had to.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

two days ago, you were 100% right..... something has given him the courage to not commit right now which was all but certain 48 hours ago....

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

You may be right, but at the end of the day, you, your buddy, or the Coach don't really know what he is going to do. People here who have a great track record have stated that he has told the staff "Yes" but it was going to be hard to get him out of state. You've stated the same thing over and over - we got it - you don't think he's coming to Bama. Let's just see what happens.

A few years ago, one of my best friends was the former coach of Erique Florence from Valley, and Erique was telling him he was going to Bama. My friend was convinced he was coming here. It came out that he was telling other people that he was going to AU, which he ended up doing. My friend is Bama fan and grad, and I guess Erique didn't want to disappoint him. My buddy knew him personally and knew his mom and brother well also, but none of that mattered. You never know what these kids are gonna do.

KYtider

Jul 16, 2013

That is true and I may be completely wrong. Yeah they had him on the local news tonight here in Lexington and he told them he wanted to do it in his home town instead of being all over the country announcing. He is a humble kid that don't like the bright lights. He also slipped up which has everybody on all the local sports basically saying finally Matt tipped his hand. To quote him but not word for word tonight he told the news out of lexington "that Coach Stoops has did a great job at UK bringing all these high 3 and 4 stars in and "WE" look to change the culture and perspective of KY football and he caught himself and covered it up saying they really have done a good job bringing in 3 &4 stars..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

That is true and I may be completely wrong. Yeah they had him on the local news tonight here in Lexington and he told them he wanted to do it in his home town instead of being all over the country announcing. He is a humble kid that don't like the bright lights. He also slipped up which has everybody on all the local sports basically saying finally Matt tipped his hand. To quote him but not word for word tonight he told the news out of lexington "that Coach Stoops has did a great job at UK bringing all these high 3 and 4 stars in and "WE" look to change the culture and perspective of KY football and he caught himself and covered it up saying they really have done a good job bringing in 3 &4 stars..
He is admittedly a UK fan, and fans say "we" as much as (if not more than) players. This doesn't necessarily mean what it might appear to mean.

KYtider

Jul 16, 2013

I hope and pray I am dead wrong and my best friend, his assistant coach/chauffeur is wrong and that Elam leaves this state and rolls with us in T-Town. I am just going off information as close to him as anyone can get. Maybe something has changed his thought process RTO for him to change from the Army Game to NSD.Could be B.Deadrick since he played in the city school of the same county that Matt plays for the county school, a possibility.. Seems like if he already was 100% going to UK that he would of used the moment to sign on national TV cause lord knows when another player from the state will be in either all star game.. and the state of KY had 2, i forgot about the QB. Its slim pickings in the bluegrass state unless you want some bourbon or a fast pony, lol... But I have practically help raise a kid that doesnt have a father and his mother graduated hs with my father that might be able to wear the Crimson in a few yrs. He is only a frosh this past yr and led his team in tackles and won the state championship. I brought him to T-Town last yr for CNS camp and he made the All-Saban team at camp. It was a really cool and he was just amazed when i took him around and showed him everything and my farm down there.. If CNS wants him when the time comes he will 100% be wearing crimson I can promise ya that RTO, lol..

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

And that may be it, he may want to commit locally, but I don't think it hurts us if comes uncommitted to T-Town later this month for his OV. Everybody knows its going to be tough to get him out of KY, but if anybody can do it, it's CNS and staff.

RTRCharlotte

Scout Team
Jul 26, 2010

Watching Elam yesterday in the Army Bowl, he looks like one of the run stuffers from the past - jesse Williams or Cody. We can't expect to get a pass rush from him. It's the same successful formula we've used in the past, but does it work against the Manziels/Marshall's of the world? Neither Jesse nor Cody were 4 down DLs and with limited substitution, can a guy like that endure on the field?

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn

Yea, we heard you the first 10 times. Fact is, it's not over til it's over and we ain't givin up yet. BTW, this is the Tony Brown to Bama thread.
Out of curiosity, how did the heading change from Matt Elam to Tony Brown between 2:46 and 3:13 yesterday?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Watching Elam yesterday in the Army Bowl, he looks like one of the run stuffers from the past - jesse Williams or Cody. We can't expect to get a pass rush from him. It's the same successful formula we've used in the past, but does it work against the Manziels/Marshall's of the world? Neither Jesse nor Cody were 4 down DLs and with limited substitution, can a guy like that endure on the field?
Yes - the way to beat this offense is to push the pocket back into the face of the QB from the center. It also frees up another DL or LB because it takes 2 O-linemen to block a player like this. This kind of player effects everyone around him.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Yes - the way to beat this offense is to push the pocket back into the face of the QB from the center. It also frees up another DL or LB because it takes 2 O-linemen to block a player like this. This kind of player effects everyone around him.
Agreed. There hasn't been an offense designed yet that flourishes with defensive penetration.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

The problem is we haven't been able to get this ever elusive penetration against HUNH offenses. It's one thing to get this type penetration against an offense that has a quarterback lock down in the pocket. The DL has time to get that push. But the penetration needed to disrupt the HUNH has to come quicker or the play is gone and is ten yards up the wrong part of the field.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010

This is correct. Miami used to do this with the likes of Jerome Brown, Cortez Kennedy and Warren Sapp. They used to own OU and Nebraska (which were basically running a read option at the time) to disrupt the play/read sequence by blowing it up in the backfield. (tOSU did this to Oregon in the Rose Bowl and did quite a nice jog of shutting them down as well). After Tom Osborne was routinely beaten by Miami and FSU he stuck to the power running game but changed his defense to incorporate faster defensive ends and linebackers to deal with the offensive speed of his opponents by denying them the perimeter of the field.

Saban's defensive philosophy of suffocating the middle run and only "affecting" the QB and not sacking the QB with a mush rush is part of the issue he has in defending this offense.
I do still agree that a team can win a vast majority of their games by focusing on running the ball and stopping the run as their main strategic goals. Alabama's D just needs a "tweak" to correct the issues. Perhaps if Saban would deploy a 46 defensive alignment from time to time to change the "read" of the opponent's offense and "affect" the blocking assignments, Alabama would have to change very little in the grand scheme.
Also, better run blocking this year and fewer fumbles would have helped a lot in how the defense preformed too.

BirminghamBAMA

1st Team
Dec 29, 2013

I think getting a a huge penetrating NG would help against the HUNH offense...I think Jarran Reed could play this role on passing downs and when we play teams that run the HUNH offense and also getting smaller quick twitch DLs and LBs but back to the thread. Matt Elam's recruitment is sort of starting to remind me of Jadeveon Clowney's. No Elam is not on the same level as Clowney as an athlete nor prospect but he is a big time recruit coming out of a state where all their top recruits will have immense pressure to stay at home and I honestly think the kid doesnt want to leave the state. Like Clowney...the pedigree and bright lights of Bama, Coach Saban, and his dynasty are intriguing but in the end the in-state pressure, the want to stay home, and the want to be a big fish in a small pond wins out over winning national champinships and being another great player on a great team.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

I think getting a a huge penetrating NG would help against the HUNH offense...
It would help against traditional run teams and pro-style attacks (LSU, Arkansas, Georgia, etc.), as well as teams like Auburn, but Elam isn't going to be someone who plays a lot against your true hurry-up spread teams. If he's playing against someone who is moving quickly, spreading the field and throwing the football, he'd be a liability even on the first snap, and it would only get worse as the drive continues.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to knock him as a player, and he would be valuable for us in what we do, but we aren't going to get better defensively against teams like A&M and Oklahoma until (or if) we really improve the pass rush and CB play.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

It would help against traditional run teams and pro-style attacks (LSU, Arkansas, Georgia, etc.), as well as teams like Auburn, but Elam isn't going to be someone who plays a lot against your true hurry-up spread teams. If he's playing against someone who is moving quickly, spreading the field and throwing the football, he'd be a liability even on the first snap, and it would only get worse as the drive continues.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to knock him as a player, and he would be valuable for us in what we do, but we aren't going to get better defensively against teams like A&M and Oklahoma until (or if) we really improve the pass rush and CB play.
I think Elam will be valuable covering two gaps like Cody did against most the west teams (Barn, OM, MSU, LSU and Ark) who like the power run game. Like you say, he won't be as effective against A&M. However, the 1st goal is to win the west. We need to figure out substitutions/scheme against the passing style spread as you mention also.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Re: DT Matt Elam Updates

I think the solution will be line changes, like hockey. Set up a couple of platoons, coach them as a unit, then run them in and out when given the opportunity to keep them fresh.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

BirminghamBAMA

1st Team
Dec 29, 2013

I agree with you because when I said that I wasnt referring to Elam because against a team like A&M he would be a liability. What a lot of people dont realize is that against Auburn...the scheme Saban used was working when Bama went up 21-7....it just bold down to our players not staying disciplined and getting exposed for those mistakes. The real issues that need to be adressed is how our D played against Texas A&M and Oklahoma who run true hurry up spread offenses. When I made the statement of a huge pentrating NG I meant a guy like Jarran Reed or A'Shawn Robinson....a big guy who can push the pocket and disrupt in the backfield.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.