Pic Of Mountain Lion In Northeast Alabama(Cleburn County)

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
WOW..I knew we had big cats around these parts of Alabama, wasn't expecting one this big, that's a big cat right there..If you live around Cleburn County in Northeast Alabama, be careful with small kids & your pets, that's a scary looking cat for sure..

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It was posted on Facebook by someone that lives in Cedartown Ga..It was took on a deer camera somewhere in Cleburn County..
Well, that's definitely a whitetail it has. There are a couple of sites in Alabama which collect pictures and accounts. This should be sent into them...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Well, that's definitely a whitetail it has. There are a couple of sites in Alabama which collect pictures and accounts. This should be sent into them...
When my PaPa was alive he used to tell me about big Mountain Lions in this area of Alabama, he said over the years, as this area of Alabama has populated, it's pushed the big cats back toward Cheaha Mountain..He said when he was a kid, they would see them all the time here in the Anniston area..He said there used to be a population of Black Panthers in Anniston when he was a kid as well..

Yeah they have other bigguns. I was (key word was) swimming in Mobile bay when an 8 foot alligator decided to ease in from the bulkhead. I think I might have walked on the water. :)
I was on the Blackwater River in Milton one weekend, and safe to say I'll never go back. I had a good time and all but I saw things that made me think this isn't for humans. There wasn't enough alcohol for the stuff I saw.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That I'm not sure of..It just said it was a pic from a deer cam in Cleburn County..
The others are correct. It has to be almost a year old at the least. Those are whitetail antlers, but they are bare and mature. The pic could be from anywhere in the whitetail range. That's the reason it's important that pix and accounts get sent into the Alabama clearing sites...

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I was on the Blackwater River in Milton one weekend, and safe to say I'll never go back. I had a good time and all but I saw things that made me think this isn't for humans. There wasn't enough alcohol for the stuff I saw.
OK - now you've piqued my interest, as I've been on and in Blackwater more times than I can count and still head back every now and again. Never seen anything too alarming up that way save for the occasional "biggun" in a two-piece that might better have considered a one-piece.

Also done some canoeing a little further east near Florida Caverns State Park and saw countless gators, many of which seemed fairly interested in my canoe. Not a chance I'd enter the water out there, but Blackwater always seemed pretty safe.

That said, I believe I remember that a shark (small bull?) was caught in Blackwater a couple years back, believe it or not.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
OK - now you've piqued my interest, as I've been on and in Blackwater more times than I can count and still head back every now and again. Never seen anything too alarming up that way save for the occasional "biggun" in a two-piece that might better have considered a one-piece.

Also done some canoeing a little further east near Florida Caverns State Park and saw countless gators, many of which seemed fairly interested in my canoe. Not a chance I'd enter the water out there, but Blackwater always seemed pretty safe.

That said, I believe I remember that a shark (small bull?) was caught in Blackwater a couple years back, believe it or not.
Back in the day, before the earth's crust had completely hardened, when I was in HS,( ;) ) we canoed the Blackwater fairly often. Saw many a snake--and I'm a certified snake-o-phobe--but never really felt threatened. We were always w/ a group & were usually pretty loud & raucous; thus, the snakes we saw were in a hurry to de-snake the premises. I heartily concurred with their desire to leave. :) Never saw any gators back then, though I 'spect they were there.

As to the Gulf, it's pretty simple: there are always sharks not far from wherever you're swimming. Always have been. I grew up on the NW FL coast, & saw a bunch of them. It's amazing how fast a non-competitive swimmer can swim sometimes. :biggrin: We once flew along the coast in a small plane; it was a LONG time before I wanted to get back into the water, after seeing a number of sharks not far from oblivious groups of swimmers. Obviously, the vast majority of the time, the shark's not interested. Now if you're in the Gulf early in the morning & at dusk,...well, just consider this phrase: "feeding time."

Back to the original, that's an amazing picture! I knew there were such critters around up in the AL mountains of my family heritage, but have never seen photographic evidence of that. I have seen photographic evidence of a rather large black bear down in SW AL (Washington County up north of Mobile). :eek: Similar pic, taken from a motion-activiated deer cam (or whatever those are called.)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.