Tips for First trip to Tuscaloosa

NH BAMA FAN

Aug 19, 2013
New Hampshire
I attended the last 2 BCS Bowls to witness the Tide capture the crystal and now am bringing our annual fall football trip to Tuscaloosa. We have a group of 9 this year from New Hampshire and Delaware and will be in town for the weekend. Our annual trip is called Bar Trek and we have been to Michigan, Georgia, LSU, Florida, Texas, Penn State, Colorado, Notre Dame in past years and by far our favorite places have been in the SEC. We like the stadiums, local traditions, tailgates,food, bars, teams and great people we have met over the years on our trips. We are seeking local knowledge in advance of our arrival on Friday Oct. 25 for the Bama vs Tennessee game that weekend. Please provide tips on good campus bars and restaurants as well as where we can all score some Alabama gear, as we always cheer for the home team on our trips(Trust me after the 2 BCS games I went to, I AM a Bama fan). Also any info on getting tickets, local gameday traditions and tips on finding some good tailgating pre game on Sat. Thanks in advance for any advice and Rammer Jammer, Yellowhammer . . .
Steve from NH

Booma

Jul 25, 2013
I just bought tickets for the 'Bama vs. LSU game and I am in the same boat. My friend and I make a trip to another big game every year and this year we're headed to Tuscaloosa. I would be forever in your debt if you could pass on any information or advice after your trip. It sounds like you guys have a similar operation.

Of course, if any locals have any words of wisdom that would be a huge help too. I'm Sooner born and Sooner bred but I'll be cheering hard for Alabama come November 9th.

NashvilleTider

1st Team
Dec 30, 2002
Nashville, TN
Thanks for dropping by and heading to Tuscaloosa. Just a few suggestions that might have also been mentioned in other messages. The tail-gating party place is the Quad. It's very structured now and has to be because the crowds are huge and the parties even bigger. At other schools the fans hit the parking lot in the shadow of the stadium but Bryant-Denney has no large parking lot to accommodate that so the tailgating is spread all over the school area and beyond.

A visit to the Bryant museum is required for all first time visitors to understand the legend and mystique of Coach Bryant. By the way, true fans don't call him Bear, just Coach Bryant. For food you should try the original Dreamland BBQ Ribs. Not the franchise location, but the original. It's colorful and unique and worth the wait if you have to wait. Cypress Inn is another restaurant that is a favorite of Bama fans and sits on the river on the north side of Tuscaloosa. It's a more up scale location but has generally good food.

If you're looking for a party atmosphere, the strip on University Drive is the place to be as there are multiple drinking and eating locations there and most are packed on game weekends.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.