Link: Postgame Brawl Overshadows Last-Minute Cullman Comeback vs. Walker

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Having been a former HS coach, this is inexcusable. These men are supposed to be an example to the young men they coach and the community they serve. This is what happens when football gets more important than life itself. This is only going to get worse unless someone gets a grip on this problem. Flame away if you want but this has been going on for 30-40 years. This is what happens when you have men who think they are bigger than the game and treat the game like every game is a National Championship. I told my wife the other night I miss the competition, the teaching aspect of coaching and relationships with the kids, but I do not miss having to deal with delusional parents who think their child can do no wrong and dealing with pompous opponents who are out of control.
Amen Rev..I will argue for ya if anyone disagree's with what you said..I agree 100% with ya..

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I hope whoever was involved coach wise is FIRED. There is no excuse for this crap, coaches are supposed to be the peace makers, and when they are not they deserve to be looking for another job.

I have seen two videos and just out luck it seems the person with the oldest cell phone was filming it. Steve Savarese will have a field day with this one.

Rumor I hear is after Cullman won they ran onto the field taunting and somehow the Cullman coach at Walker's Head Coach got into it. Heard there was a supposed sucker punch in plain view as well so who knows? I wouldn't take that as gospel either.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Parrish. They went after the Refs.
We (Winterboro) were the team that stopped their run in 1A, I think the ref problem happened the next year or so after that. After their last title year we had to travel to Parrish in the first round (I wasn't a player, was gone well before that year) and we were all warned at how bad some of their fans could be and sure enough it was CRAZY. They were ready to kill the refs after we won 21-14, any tackle near the sidelines and you could hear them going nuts about late hits, if their WR didn't catch the ball it had to be Pass Interference, etc. We thought we might have to fight our way out of there but they were busy griping at the refs.

I will admit though they got better with their last successful coach (Andy Keith).

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Preach on Rev!!! I agree fully!

I coached at Talladega for baseball the past two years and we had a problem against our rival Munford in a game that got ugly after we beat them with the 10 run rule after the 5th inning. Words were going on the whole game and the umps never said a word and it only got worse after that. So we go to shake hands after the game on the field and of course MORE words come flying. While I didn't blame my players for some of the things they said after the way they were treated we still had to play peace maker as the coaches. In my opinion you ALWAYS have to play the peace maker no matter what. It all should be on video and let the AHSAA and the schools handle any kid that throws a punch, but as a coach I would have to make myself quit if I threw a punch period on the field, and any coach that DOES throw a punch IMHO should be fired and never allowed to coach in this state again. There is just no sense for it.

The only way I could see throwing a punch is if a players life is in immediate danger (like a gun man on the field or something like that).

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I have no idea what happened but it's easy to say you shouldn't throw a punch and I agree, but emotions can get the best of us sometimes and if someone sucker punches you do you really know how you would react? I hope there is a better video so authorities can sort this out no matter who is at fault. I hate to see things like this because our kids need to be taught better.

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)
Care to elaborate?
Yes I do. Typical Cullman attitude. They can't just win they have to win and then tell you about it. They played Good Hope years ago and had 14 personal foul penalties called against them and one of their running backs (who will remain nameless) shooting birds at the GH crowd. That's why.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have no idea what happened but it's easy to say you shouldn't throw a punch and I agree, but emotions can get the best of us sometimes and if someone sucker punches you do you really know how you would react? I hope there is a better video so authorities can sort this out no matter who is at fault. I hate to see things like this because our kids need to be taught better.
Maybe not, but my reaction would be my responsibility, not the person who hit me. These coaches have to be held to a very high standard in cases like this. They coach man sized boys playing a very violent game. They have to teach control.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
It is easy to say you don't throw a punch because you SHOULDN'T throw a punch. Simple as that. Kids and coaches taunting you DOES NOT warrant a punch. In situations like that you just let them taunt away and let them show their lack of class. But throwing a punch to teach another coach a lesson because they taunt you is simply stupid (not saying anyone did so in this case, j/s)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Being raised in Jasper and playing football for Walker I'll just say this. Sometimes our teams are outstanding, sometimes good, sometimes not so good, sometimes awful. No one's ever sure about that---BUT I CAN guarantee you one constant--If you beat us and start taunting us you're going to get hit in the mouth. Count on it. Might not be the right thing to do but it's gonna happen--trust me. sip

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Yes I do. Typical Cullman attitude. They can't just win they have to win and then tell you about it. They played Good Hope years ago and had 14 personal foul penalties called against them and one of their running backs (who will remain nameless) shooting birds at the GH crowd. That's why.
I'm sorry you feel that way. My son played there a couple of years and we never saw that. Not saying it hasn't happened.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Being raised in Jasper and playing football for Walker I'll just say this. Sometimes our teams are outstanding, sometimes good, sometimes not so good, sometimes awful. No one's ever sure about that---BUT I CAN guarantee you one constant--If you beat us and start taunting us you're going to get hit in the mouth. Count on it. Might not be the right thing to do but it's gonna happen--trust me. sip
You say that like you are proud of it.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
When I coached, we taught our players fighting was not an option at any point. We told them if the other team runs their mouth, let them do it. You have a choice as to how you act and react. Those lessons were taught on those hot afternoons in the preseason when you did not want to be out there long before the lights came on Friday nights. That lesson gets heard by others as well. I expected our fans to act the same way. It is the old mantra heard from Coach Bryant..."act like you have been there before...show your class and character." It is obvious that one or both of the teams involved have not chosen to act that way. These are adults who are supposed to be setting the example.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
You say that like you are proud of it.
I'm proud of the players for sticking with each other and having each other's backs. Dang straight I am. Not proud of the coaches at all. They're trained adults who should know better, not 17 year old testosterone filled competitors who just suffered a tough loss and were being taunted.
It's easy to say they should have just walked away. But I've been in that situation, and at that age, I'm not sure if it's possible. My last game was against Austin of Decatur. The game ended in a brawl and ole sip was right smack dab in the middle of it...lol

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Rumor I hear is after Cullman won they ran onto the field taunting and somehow the Cullman coach at Walker's Head Coach got into it. Heard there was a supposed sucker punch in plain view as well so who knows? I wouldn't take that as gospel either.
Yeah, I'm hearing Cullman fans and players were taunting our players and fans after the game ended. Their DC got into it with our HC; our HC grabbed his shirt, busted him in the nose and then laid into him. No mention of a sucker punch. I can't watch Mack's video on my gubmit computer.
Regardless, definitely improper behavior by our coach.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm proud of the players for sticking with each other and having each other's backs. Dang straight I am.
If they walk away, they win. As soon as they decide to fight, they lose. This is not a war. These kids need to be banned from the game.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Yeah, I'm hearing Cullman fans and players were taunting our players and fans after the game ended. Their DC got into it with our HC; our HC grabbed his shirt, busted him in the nose and then laid into him. No mention of a sucker punch. I can't watch Mack's video on my gubmit computer.
Regardless, definitely improper behavior by our coach.
Sounds like our coach was just as guilty. Shameful either way.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.