Link: Postgame Brawl Overshadows Last-Minute Cullman Comeback vs. Walker

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
The Jasper Board of Education acted swiftly and placed Walker head football coach John Holladay on administrative leave today, according to the Daily Mountain Eagle's Facebook page. Administrative leave means the employee is suspended with pay.
AHSAA Executive Director Steve Saverese confirmed in an e-mail this morning that the governing body will investigate the incident. AHSAA officials ordinarily request videotape from the participating schools, and school officials are sometimes summoned to Montgomery to meet with Savarese.
http://highschoolsports.al.com/news...onclusion-of-cullman-walker-football-game/#/0

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yeah, I'm hearing Cullman fans and players were taunting our players and fans after the game ended. Their DC got into it with our HC; our HC grabbed his shirt, busted him in the nose and then laid into him. No mention of a sucker punch. I can't watch Mack's video on my gubmit computer.
Regardless, definitely improper behavior by our coach.
Yea you know how the rumors go, but it seems to be about near the truth. I'm not sure about a sucker punch either (some people have no idea if a punch is a sucker punch or just a man beating you down while you watch) but like you said it seems the Cullman DC said something to the Walker HC and then the Walker HC proceeded to beat him down pretty bad. Whether it was a cheap shot or not who knows at this point. I think it is almost certain now that he did throw the first punch though. I'm to the point that BOTH should be fired and be done with. Neither deserve to represent their school anymore.

You better believe Coach Savarese will have them in Montgomery with a copy of the tape. I expect some pretty swift and heavy consequences for both fools and possibly see both schools punished as well and/or just placed on probation. They'll probably still get to see the playoffs but be on a year or two probation with a short leash.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Yeah, I'm hearing Cullman fans and players were taunting our players and fans after the game ended. Their DC got into it with our HC; our HC grabbed his shirt, busted him in the nose and then laid into him. No mention of a sucker punch. I can't watch Mack's video on my gubmit computer.
Regardless, definitely improper behavior by our coach.
That's out of character for Coach Holladay. Ive played against his teams several times when he was at Hamilton. Also was around him several times at weight meets & such He was always a class act. Wonder what happened. Either way inexcusable.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
If they walk away, they win. As soon as they decide to fight, they lose. This is not a war. These kids need to be banned from the game.
You, obviously, have never been to Walker Co (& surrounding areas). This level of maturity & rationality doesn't exist here.

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
Being raised in Jasper and playing football for Walker I'll just say this. Sometimes our teams are outstanding, sometimes good, sometimes not so good, sometimes awful. No one's ever sure about that---BUT I CAN guarantee you one constant--If you beat us and start taunting us you're going to get hit in the mouth. Count on it. Might not be the right thing to do but it's gonna happen--trust me. sip
Buncha Walker County heathens. ;)

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
There should be zero tolerance for brawling at football games. I'm disappointed when people try to glorify it.

With Alabama's new gun laws, the potential is way up for a disaster beyond a fistfight or brawl when tempers flare at ballgames. Imagine if the brawl had spilled over to the fans in the parkinglot, with many of those yahoos armed.

If the spirit in Walker County is to brawl first, then think it over, that needs to be broken, whatever it takes. Same for Cullman or any other county.

Last edited:

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
I used to be a FHSAA football official and still umpire high school baseball and softball . The policy in football was to leave the field immediately when the game is over . In baseball and softball , we stay around for the hand shake and then leave if everything is cool . As volatile as football can be , it would seem the officials should stick around to try and prevent things like this from happening .Then again , it could be the officials getting the beating !

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Fox 6 just aired video of the incident. It clearly showed the Walker coach attack the one from Cullman. The Cullman coach went over to speak to him and it was on. I did not see any taunting by Cullman players. It looked like others may have been involved but it was hard to tell in the video.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Holladay was in the middle of a skirmish with Cullman defensive coordinator Matt Hopper following the Vikings’ emotional 13-10 loss at Gambrell Ki-Ro Field. After punches were thrown, Holladay was tackled to the ground by a Walker assistant coach while Hopper was restrained by several police officers.

A Cullman school board official told The Cullman Times that no discplinary action is planned concerning Cullman coaches or football players after Friday night’s post-game incident.
http://www.mountaineagle.com/view/f...on-administrative-leave?instance=main_article

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
I grew up in Walker County. I'm not sure heathens applies here but I will say that the water tastes different in Walker County. Since Cullman County adjoins Walker County I would assume that some of that water flows into Cullman County.
What MegaVars said was tongue-in-cheek...He grew up in Walker County also...so did I. My brother was on the Walker coaching staff up until this year...glad he wasn't there Friday night to be involved...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Wow, anyone that is proud of that needs to have their head checked. Bye bye Walker coach, he probably just ruined his coaching career and rightfully so. Now I see how the Cullman DC got his face screwed up so badly, he was kicked by quite a few players. If anyone from Walker thinks this is o.k. there is no way I would take a football team to play them.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
You have better eyes than me, no way I could tell from that video if anyone kicked him. I did see the punch to the face...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
You can't really see it, but as the players rush him after he hits the ground it's kinda obvious. Did you see the pics of his face? It didn't get that way by those few wild punches. Dude was kicked by somebody.

BamaPosaune

Oct 19, 2012
You can't really see it, but as the players rush him after he hits the ground it's kinda obvious. Did you see the pics of his face? It didn't get that way by those few wild punches. Dude was kicked by somebody.
i dunno. I didn't see an obvious kick or anything like a strike from a player. The Walker coach, though, definitely was the aggressor.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
Fox 6 just aired video of the incident. It clearly showed the Walker coach attack the one from Cullman. The Cullman coach went over to speak to him and it was on. I did not see any taunting by Cullman players. It looked like others may have been involved but it was hard to tell in the video.
Do you really believe the Cullman coach went over to "speak" to him? I'm not defending the Walker coach's actions and I believe he should be fired, but the Cullman DC instigated the whole thing and should be fired as well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.