Link: Postgame Brawl Overshadows Last-Minute Cullman Comeback vs. Walker

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I know the dude shouldn't have punched the chs coach...but if the chs coach HADN'T TAKEN THOSE 8 STEPS...i don't think the melee would have happened.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
I'm not sure the AHSAA can make the heads roll (fire them, etc.) but they can suspend them for the year or years and cause the BoE to fire them.
That's pretty much what I meant; not that the AHSAA would fire anybody themselves. I'm sure the AHSAA can take actions or make statements to the school that would make them feel that a firing or resignation would be appropriate.

On the locker room the Walker fans were claiming that from the beginning, but as seems to be a habit with the current Walker fans it was obviously blown out of proportion. It now sounds like "anything to try and get Cullman in trouble" type deal.
I could blow your statement out of proportion and ask you to elaborate further on the habits of Walker fans, but I won't.

I also find it crazy the Walker people are STILL supporting that clown. Do they not understand how people outside of Walker County is looking at them right now? People already think they are crazy just from the fight alone, and now they are crying because he resigned.
Folks in Jasper saying he should have resigned.
http://highschoolsports.al.com/news...llman-coach-shares-blame-for-fight-photos/#/0
Crazy.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I could blow your statement out of proportion and ask you to elaborate further on the habits of Walker fans, but I won't.
I'll tell without being asked, I've heard multiple fans Friday night claim on the good ol interwebs that Cullman caused $40,000 worth of damage to the field house. Yes 40k.

The high school boards on al.com were not saying that Friday night. Until the video came out they were saying Cullman started every single incident that night.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Griffeth declined to go into detail about the meeting when reached by The Times on Wednesday, but indicated officials do plan to address the on-field fight soon.

Cullman officials had previously said they didn’t anticipate any coach or player suspensions. When asked if that had changed, Griffeth said any potential announcements would be made once the AHSAA renders a decision.

“I can say we handled the information we had appropriately,” she said.

When asked specifically about a Cullman player who can be seen on video sprinting across the field and tackling a Walker player during the fight, Griffeth said it “will be addressed.”
http://www.cullmantimes.com/local/x1253337512/Cullman-Superintendent-offers-update-on-AHSAA-meeting

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
@Josh_Moon

Sanctions are out for Walker/Cullman from AHSAA. Restrictive probation (no plyoffs) for Walker. Reg probation for Cullman. Coaches get 1yr

@Josh_Moon

Difference in probation was due to Walker being on probation for an unsportsmanlike incident last year. Running a clean program up there

@Josh_Moon

Also, Walker will get a 2nd yr of restrictive probation if John Holladay is HC next year. Message clear there: Fire him.

Last edited:

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
The AHSAA handed stiff punishment to Walker and Cullman high schools in response to last week’s on-field coaching brawl, including suspension of the coaches involved for the remainder of the 2013 season.

In addition, Walker’s football program has been placed on restrictive probation – meaning the Vikings are barred from the 2013 football playoffs – and each school received a $1,500 fine. Cullman’s football program received one year of non-restrictive probation, meaning the Bearcats can advance to the playoffs.

Walker would also face a postseason ban next year if Holladay remained the head coach, but he resigned from his coaching duties earlier this week.
http://highschoolsports.al.com/news...s-for-remainder-of-season-photos/#incart_2box

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Moon is a moron anyways. The other day ABC 33/40 reported Hopper resigned when it was actually Holladay. Never fails in this state.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Walker HS issues statement:
(In part)
Walker High School is very saddened by these events and accepts the penalties. We apologize for the behavior that was exhibited and pledge to emphasize and put into place the measures necessary to prevent this kind of behavior in the future by a Walker High School student, coach or teacher.

We also plan to develop a program for our student-athletes and coaches that will take this education-based athletic sportsmanship message to our students, parents, teams and community. We hope to enhance relations with our opponents – between our teams, coaches and student-athletes and communities – and, in doing so, demonstrate the leadership necessary to foster the AHSAA and Walker High School’s mission of good sportsmanship in interscholastic athletics.
http://highschoolsports.al.com/news...unishment-for-coaching-brawl-photos-video/#/0

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Cullman Superintendent Doreen Griffeth offered no apology for the school’s role in a coaching brawl after last week’s season-opening game in Jasper, while saying the system accepts the sanctions imposed today by the AHSAA.

Griffeth’s five-paragraph statement in response to the sanctions did not indicate whether Hopper will receive additional punishment from the school system.
http://highschoolsports.al.com/news...otball-program-photos-video/#incart_hssn-rr-1

But, in her statement, she did mention her HC's record and the fact that Cullman hadn't had any player ejections or AHSAA fines in the last three years.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Walker's coach released the below statement today:

I wish I could have come forward before now with an apology to the people of the Walker and Cullman communities and the state of Alabama in general. But upon the advice of counsel and the request of the AHSAA I have remained silent. I do, however, wish to extend that apology today.

No words can take back the events of this past Friday night after the Cullman v. Walker high school football game. If words were sufficient I would have said them over and over and over again. Likewise, no words can express the deep remorse I have for my actions and involvement in this matter, but I will try my best to express them here. First, to my boys who don the Black and Gold of Walker High School, I am deeply saddened that I let you down and I ask that each of you forgive me. You know that sportsmanship comes before the passion and emotions of the game. I ask that each of you learn from this unfortunate situation and uphold the sportsmanship that is necessary and demanded for such a hard and tough game. Play hard men!

To the students of Walker High School, I also ask for your forgiveness and ask that you do not let your passion for the Golden Viking fade because of this incident. Rally around your brother and sister students and forge ahead to greatness as each of you are capable. You as the students are the spirit and life blood of the Black and Gold which will allow Walker to transcend this moment.

I apologized this past Tuesday to the Cullman Schools Superintendent, Dr. Doreen Griffeth, Cullman Principal, Dr. Elton Bouldin, Coach Mark Britton, and Coach Matt Hopper. I wish to further extend this apology to the Cullman High School students, faculty and staff, and the Cullman community. I ask for your forgiveness and I hope each of you can find it in your heart to forgive me for this incident. I wish to specifically state again to Coach Hopper my regret this incident happened and hope that over time you can forgive me.

I also extend this apology to all high school football coaches across the state of Alabama. I hope you do not suffer as a result of the black cloud caused by this incident.

Lastly, to Dr. Robert Sparkman, the Jasper City School Board, Principal Gary Boling, all Jasper City school administrators, faculty and staff, the parents and the community, let me first thank you for providing me the great opportunity to coach, teach, and lead your children over the past six years. I pray my 10 seconds of infamy does not undo all the great things we have done together for the students, the school, and the football program. You asked me to lead and be an example to these young men and I failed for a split second. I regret my actions put you and Walker High School in this situation and I ask your forgiveness.

Sincerely,

John Holladay

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
One day after the Walker Vikings found out they were going to be left out of the playoffs, the seniors gave interim head coach Heath Brunner a message.
“They told me they wanted to get back to football and finish as region champions,” Brunner said.
Eight weeks later, those seniors made that goal a reality finishing off a perfect 7-0 region mark with a 27-7 victory over the Springville Tigers Friday night.
http://www.mountaineagle.com/view/f...ay-with-perfect-7-0-mark?instance=home_sports

Good job by the team.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.