Link: Postgame Brawl Overshadows Last-Minute Cullman Comeback vs. Walker

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
The video also shows a Cullman player run and tackle a Walker player. He should be identified and suspended.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
....but the Cullman DC instigated the whole thing and should be fired as well.
The video also shows a Cullman player run and tackle a Walker player. He should be identified and suspended.
That can't be...
“Our superintendent, Dr. (Doreen) Griffeth was at the game. I talked to her and I understand there is no need to reprimand our coaches and players, that they acted with class and dignity during the situation,” said Suzanne Harbin, president of the Cullman Board of Education.
Shortly after the Bearcats rushed the field to celebrate their victory, a full-on brawl broke out.
http://www.cullmantimes.com/local/x...leave-Cullman-plans-no-reprimands-after-brawl

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Do you really believe the Cullman coach went over to "speak" to him? I'm not defending the Walker coach's actions and I believe he should be fired, but the Cullman DC instigated the whole thing and should be fired as well.
I don't think he "instigated" anything. I believe it is common courtesy to shake hands after a game am I right? When he saw the Walker coach didn't have enough class to do that and was obviously headed to the locker room he should have just left him alone however. That was his mistake. To fire a man for being attacked would be an injustice IMHO. I'm not saying that because I live in Cullman. I'm not from here originally, didn't go to the school and don't know anyone involved. My hope is the ASHAA does the right thing because the kids deserve better.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
I don't think he "instigated" anything. I believe it is common courtesy to shake hands after a game am I right? When he saw the Walker coach didn't have enough class to do that and was obviously headed to the locker room he should have just left him alone however. That was his mistake. To fire a man for being attacked would be an injustice IMHO. I'm not saying that because I live in Cullman. I'm not from here originally, didn't go to the school and don't know anyone involved. My hope is the ASHAA does the right thing because the kids deserve better.
He was not going over to shake hands. If that's not obvious to you, I'm sorry.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I have heard that they had an agreement in place BEFORE the game stating they would not shake hands after the game. That has not been confirmed yet but of course maybe not all the coaches knew about it??

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
I grew up in Walker County. I'm not sure heathens applies here but I will say that the water tastes different in Walker County. Since Cullman County adjoins Walker County I would assume that some of that water flows into Cullman County.:wink:
Ditto....I'm from Cordova. Heathens is a lot less worse than some other things we've been called. :biggrin2:

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
As a resident of the much more civilized Shelby County I'm not biased one way or another. It's interesting reading those ultra biased opinions.

The Walker coach is at fault. The Cullman coach did nothing wrong from the video.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Finally got to where I could watch the video. Walker HC was in the wrong for what he did; but I don't think I approved his action earlier. Don't know what was said, but I imagine the Cullman DC wishes he hadn't kept on walking towards Holladay after being pointed off. Also, I don't believe the Cullman DC was intending to shake hands.

Also looks likes another pair of opposing coaches about got into it. They did have hands on each other.

A Cullman kid did tackle a Walker kid.

And one dude from the Walker side liked to have got lit up by a JPD officer.

I can't say for certain that any Walker kids were kicking the Cullman DC; there were several that were definitely ready to fight.

Again, I do not condone Holladay's action.

Last edited:

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
Correct me if I'm wrong, but angrily pointing a finger at someone isn't shaking hands...both coaches should be relieved of their duties. As 230kv stated, they decided BEFORE the game started not to interact after the game. All things being said, both coaches displayed a pathetic attempt to be leaders of young men. I hope they suspend any players involved in this also. BTW, I'm from Cordova also and it wouldn't bother me if Walker never won another game :)

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If they walk away, they win. As soon as they decide to fight, they lose. This is not a war. These kids need to be banned from the game.
Watching the video from Texas, I have been to many, many, many high school games and have NEVER seen anything like this.

The Walker County Coach needs to go. I'm not sure about the Cullman Coach yet. He may need to go also.

Cullman's #28 (player) who ran over and lunged at Walker players needs an assault charge and to be kicked off the team and receive discipline from the school for his inappropriate actions.

Looks like some Walker County players were kicking the Cullman Coach. They also need charges filed against them for assault and to be kicked off the team.

The Cullman Board of Trustees member needs to just "Shut Up". She should have never said anything until she got all the facts.

Now, I've viewed the video from Walker County's side of the field. I sure would like to see video from Cullman's side of the field.

Hopefully, the state high school athletic association will have a SPINE and take corrective action and put all high schools on notice about inappropriate behavior like this!

What have these two coaches taught the players on the field? All of this is an educational setting and coaches are teachers first.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Also, it looks like one big guy pushed an officer in the video. Who was that guy, a coach?

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Correct me if I'm wrong, but angrily pointing a finger at someone isn't shaking hands...both coaches should be relieved of their duties. As 230kv stated, they decided BEFORE the game started not to interact after the game. All things being said, both coaches displayed a pathetic attempt to be leaders of young men. I hope they suspend any players involved in this also. BTW, I'm from Cordova also and it wouldn't bother me if Walker never won another game :)
They may have had an agreement not to interact as you say. I had not heard that. It's hard to tell from that distance what the Cullman coach intended. He at a minimum showed poor judgement. He may have been angry and said something to provoke the Walker coach. If he did he too needs to go. I'm willing to cut any of the young men slack for their actions because they likely would not have acted if not for the idiot coaches. A game or 2 suspension might be enough for players involved.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I have heard that they had an agreement in place BEFORE the game stating they would not shake hands after the game. That has not been confirmed yet but of course maybe not all the coaches knew about it??
If that is true it was an agreement they should have stuck to. If grown men can't control their emotions better than this they certainly should not coach.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Unless these schools are in the same region, they should not be allowed to schedule each other in any sport for a long time.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I'm not anywhere near any of these cities but I am disgusted that this has landed our state in the National Media. I am equally disgusted that the Cullman School Board thinks their people acted with "class." If THAT is class, I would hate to see what wasn't. One of our county schools down here had a fight break out in the locker room after a game last year that involved players and coaches. The kids were immediately expelled as they were the aggressors. The fathers were arrested as were the players.

I hate the unfortunate opportunity to encounter an angry coach from Cullman at a softball tournament this summer. I called the police on him for his classless behavior. I've also heard stories about Walker County from a former coach in that area. Based on all of that, this brawl was of no surprise to me.

Regardless of where you are from, an adult--much less a coach--should NEVER act like this. Shameful.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Back when I played walker 25yrs ago they were easily the thuggiest team I have ever played. That behavior you see has been handed down for generations. They were more interested in hurting you than winning the game.

Personally, I think the somebody like the AG ought to come to town and make examples out of a couple of these folks and pretty much tell everybody else that if he hears of anything approaching this again. There won't be football being played in walker again.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.