Do Aggies run a Run and Shoot offense?

bogeypro

Scout Team
Oct 25, 2005
Watching the TAMU and SHSU game...seems like aggies have a sand lot style, wide receiver decision making style offense. Was curious what your thoughts were....

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No, it is just an up tempo spread. Think June Jones if you want to picture a true run and shoot.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yup..And isn't what Kliff Kingbury runs at Texas Tech like a "Run & Shoot" type offense???..
I am not sure what he is running at TT, but he ran an up tempo spread before this. Run and shoot relies on WR motion to create confusion and mismatches. The type of offense that he ran with Sumlin didn't do that.

Also, the biggest difference is in receiver route running. In the run and shoot, the receivers have set routes but are encouraged to alter their routes on any play to take advantage of a hole in the defense. Sumlin's offense does not do that until/unless a play breaks down and Manziel scrambles (all offenses do that in that situation).

Last edited:

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
I'm sure someone is running variations of it {SMU) , but it really seemed to pretty much die off with Hawaii , Atlanta and Houston (Gamblers , Oilers & Cougars) .

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Hawaii under Jones was run and shoot more than TAMU. Lots of underneath stuff. TAMU isn't usually gonna chuck it 60 times like Hawaii did, though they run a lot of plays which leads to more passes than if they ran at a regular tempo.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Basically it is the Mumme/Leach/Franklin offense but with more formation variation and motions. Leach is the truest to the old Kentucky Air Raid of the late 1990s: very little motion presnap and a small set of formations where they run 7-10 plays that build off each other. Holgerson's variation is far more formation multiple and does some things with the OL to mesh in the read option and sweeps into the air raid concept. Leach teams are likely to have their OL in 2-point almost every snap which limits their run game to traps and draws. Holgerson's variation seems to switch around more often to give their linemen the ability to drive block when needed.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I found this forum talking abut the R & S Offense, some really good info about the offense, if ya have soe spare time, read aboutit on this forum..Really goof info..

Here's The Link To T Forum..CLICK ME

And here's a really good video of the "Run & Shoot" concepts in action..Is it me or do we run a good bit of those plays & pass patterns in this video???..Cause that looks like part of our offense..I could be wrong(wouldn't be the first time or last time I get something wrong..LOL)

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The run and shoot is the grandaddy of all these modern pass happy offenses. Each offense picks a small nuance of that offense and builds on it. Most one back offenses would have some run and shoot principles in their route running, to be sure. The dimension our offense adds is that the very next play we will line up in the I formation, motion the second tight end over, and shove TJ Yeldon down your throat with Fowler leading the way. Most run and shoot offenses couldn't do that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
The run and shoot offense was developed by "Mouse" Davis...who taught it to June Jones in Portland, Oregon. The reason I know this is that said Davis was my football coach (not that I played a lot @ 155 lbs and slow) in the late 60's and he developed this in HS. He took a young man who was very smart and some what athletic, but could not throw more than 30 yds, and made him an all state QB in 1 summer. Routes were usually under 15 yes...teams had no idea what to do with us. It was quite a change from the Alabama football I had known growing up.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Biggest difference between the 'Shoot and the Air Raid variant that TAMU runs is that the true 'Shoot is exclusively a four-wide formation offense. A true Run and Shoot will always line up with four wides, either 2 x 2 or 1 x 3. No tight ends or fullbacks whatsoever. And as others have mentioned, there are a lot of "option" routes that give the wideouts freelance ability. The original offense always featured the QB taking a sort of half-roll from under center, but the modern variant is mostly run from the shotgun or pistol with typical drop-back passing.

At the FBS level, June Jones at SMU is the only coach I know of that still uses the 'Shoot, and his version has morphed considerably over the years. There are a handful of teams that incorporate some 'Shoot principles...ironically enough, one of them is Georgia Tech - a flex option team. Their base "flex" formation from under center is basically the original Run and Shoot formation, with two wides and two "wingbacks" set up 2 x 2. Paul Johnson has been on record saying that they run some 'Shoot concepts, and if you watch cut-ups of Tech's passing plays they are very reminiscent of the original offense.

bogeypro

Scout Team
Oct 25, 2005
I don't agree that it is the offense that made him a success. I think it is JFF....Much like Tebow made CUM look good at Florida or Cammy Cam at the Barn.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think it is an offense ideal to his skill set though. The spread and tempo make it difficult to handle his escapability. Logan Thomas is physically similar to Tim Tebow but that VT offense has never put him in a position to make the plays Tebow did at Florida.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.