Link: FINALLY - Something appears ready to happen with student seating

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I actually went searching for something this morning after hearing a commercial break news report saying that Coach Saban has weighed in on the issue. I was actually looking for his quote and found this, but no quote.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I don't see them doing anything yet. They are threatening to do something but in a toothless way.

feels like "stop doing this or I'll tell you to stop again"

The fact that they need to be cited 3 times to lose seating and no one has been cited yet, despite what we have all seen tells me there is no real determination to do anything here.

Sad, but true.

eta: The only hope I have here is that I bet this is grinding Saban's gears, if anyone has the power and lack of "give a damn" about the frat rats and their "power" within the University it is him.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I don't see them doing anything yet. They are threatening to do something but in a toothless way.

feels like "stop doing this or I'll tell you to stop again"

The fact that they need to be cited 3 times to lose seating and no one has been cited yet, despite what we have all seen tells me there is no real determination to do anything here.

Sad, but true.

eta: The only hope I have here is that I bet this is grinding Saban's gears, if anyone has the power and lack of "give a damn" about the frat rats and their "power" within the University it is him.
It sounds like they are begging the frats "Please don't make us do anything!"

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
I would be willing to bet money that if they ditched block seating but kept the student section the same size, things would look a lot better at the end of games. I hated the block seating as a student. A ton of us were crammed in as tight as we could squeeze while the block seating was empty and once filled for the 2nd quarter, was covered in a haze of cigarette smoke that nobody ever bothered to investigate.

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN
Exactly. I feel bad for the kids around the bend who are always there early and always stay late (i.e., the non-frats), but I don't know how to protect them without punishing the others. Clear the waiting list, then we can talk about student seating.
My daughter was one of those regular students that sat near the band. Her freshman year she got the 4 game package, but was able to go to the others thanks to donated student tickets. She missed 2 games her 4 years due to being in weddings. She arrived early and stayed until games end. She said to me the other day that its the thing she misses most about being done with school...no more being able to sit in the student section for games! I feel bad for those dedicated kids too!

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
It's time to go to assigned seating for each ticket. If the Frat. kids are not going to value a true gift for what the ticket and seat is, then take away the organized block seating. At least then the seats will be filled with students in a random pattern without the giant empty blocks. But, then Bryant Denny will have to enforce the seating, as the Frats. have traditionally forced people out of "their" seating blocks with threats and intimidation.

And, I don't have an issue with people leaving early for personal reasons, but when an entire block section empties out, it's not a personal decision, it's a group decision.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
http://blog.al.com/tuscaloosa/2013/10/university_of_alabama_reviewin.html

It appears that someone in the athletic department is finally fed up with the poor showing by the students and is growing some kahonas.
That someone would be Nick Saban. And I wouldn't say he grew some as much as he got fed up beyond caring if the blocks (or their parents) howled.

Nothing related to football, and carrying a profile this high, happens without his foreknowledge and blessing. I wouldn't be surprised if Bryant, Jr. were involved as well.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Question - if you do away with block seating, does it actually increase 4th quarter attendance?

Argument for: The greeks who plan to party will stop buying tickets next year and will just stay at their party, opening up more seats for the dedicated fans.

Argument against: The greeks will keep their tickets, come to the big games, and skip even more of the lesser games because they don't get to sit (and drink and smoke) with their co-greeks.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Despite being (well, let's just say I sat there as a student near the end of Coach Bryant's time), I actually sat in the student Saturday for the Arky beatdown via student guest tix. It was fun, but the wind shield of students around us had left by halftime. Thus, the 2nd half was quite a bit breezier for us. ;)

We had fun, but my buddy noted that we seemed to have a "halo rule" in effect. We were @ the back of the lower level, and there was a 2-3 yard semi-circle around us where nobody sat. As if, "Don't make eye contact with the creepy old guys & definitely don't sit near them!" :biggrin2: (FWIW, my buddy's an MSU grad who despises the Hogs; he was all Bama Saturday.)

He asked how it's different, & I told him that back in the day, if you were part of a group of more than 2, you needed to be there when the gates opened, or you wouldn't be sitting together. So, when the majority of the student section was empty an hour before kickoff, I was confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.