In response to the Texas-Saban report...

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I'm just superstitious enough that I'm going to hold off on some of my comments until after Texas decides what they're going to do about their coaching situation. However, I read the Texas report linked to this board and I'll address the substance of it.

1) No one can guarantee you that any coach will or won't stay at their current school for any length of time -- or that they'll be asked to stay at a particular place. It's a business. Larry Coker learned that, Mack Brown is learning it now and Alabama learned it when Dennis Franchione bolted for Texas A&M.

2) Having said that, Texas-based writers make some fundamental errors when it comes down to comparing the size of bank accounts. The notion that The University of Alabama can be outbid for a football coach, no matter who the team is who Alabama is bidding against, is wishful thinking. If Nick Saban were to leave Alabama for another job, the factors leading to his departure would likely have very little to do with financial matters. Without knowing the mindset of either writer, Shoff or Shuttleworth, I'm going to guess most of the juice behind this story has to do with someone on the booster/admin side thinking they've got more money than anyone else (and thus, have the ability to affect anything they wish).

3) The "shady real estate dealings in Alabama" probably refers to the Sabans losing money on spec real estate that they purchased just before the real estate bubble burst. Another person who got caught up in that same bubble? Me. There was nothing shady about the purchase of my home or the person that sold it to me, it was just ill-timed. That's why they call it a "bubble."

4) Finally, what many people have long said about Nick Saban, I'll reiterate. If he leaves on his own accord, it will be because his family tells him to. Unfortunately for Saban, he will never be able to make people believe what he says about these things because of the way he handled himself in Miami in 2006. He could say right now that he's leaving or staying, and writers will just continue to speculate and throw in a YouTube link to his Dolphins press conference for good measure.

Do I think he's going anywhere? No. Do I think his agent contacted other schools as a way to gain leverage? Yeah, I'll buy that. Jimmy Sexton is a popular agent because he gets results for his clients, which are the coaches themselves, not the schools and not the fans. But one additional thing I didn't see much mention made of in the Texas story was that it seemed to assume Texas is unified behind ANY decision at this point. Mack Brown wants to stay, and if he's forced out, not only is there a fracture point over his dismissal, but TideFans.com's contacts within the industry suggest the people who are behind ousting Brown aren't unified behind Nick Saban anyway.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Do I think he's going anywhere? No. Do I think his agent contacted other schools as a way to gain leverage? Yeah, I'll buy that. Jimmy Sexton is a popular agent because he gets results for his clients, which are the coaches themselves, not the schools and not the fans. But one additional thing I didn't see much mention made of in the Texas story was that it seemed to assume Texas is unified behind ANY decision at this point. Mack Brown wants to stay, and if he's forced out, not only is there a fracture point over his dismissal, but TideFans.com's contacts within the industry suggest the people who are behind ousting Brown aren't unified behind Nick Saban anyway.
I am not sure that I agree with the bolded. Nick Saban is in a unique situation at Alabama. He has so dramatically changed the financial situation at Alabama that he could ask for almost any pay increase and have it approved within 24 hours. Texas does not provide any greater leverage than he already has. The threat that he might retire is more valid, and would have the same impact.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I honestly feel sorry for Mack Brown and his players. How are they supposed to concentrate on becoming a better team when speculation stories are seemingly all Texas writers can write about nowadays.
I think Coach Saban is happy where he is. He might mislead or under inform the media on occasion, but when he made his comments about "Being too darn old to start over somewhere else", and how he was happy in Tuscaloosa, he was addressing Bama fans attending his radio show.
I just don't think he would have told our fans that he was staying were he not absolutely sure that he was.
Were there any possible interest in the Texas job I think he would have simply said nothing at all about the issue.
I personally feel that he is a very achievement coach oriented coach with a goal of becoming the all time leader in national titles with seven.
He can do that at Bama and he knows it. It would take him awhile to re-jump start Texas.
Another factor that I haven't seen brought up is this--Coach Saban has repeatedly stated his disdain for the hurry up-no huddle offense, citing it to be a safety concern for players.
I can't see him coaching in any conference where he'd be facing that type of offense every single week. I don't think he'd enjoy it at all because I don't think he considers it to be "pure football".
Finally, and this sounds simple, but I really get the feeling that when he came to Bama he found his dream job. And I think he simply likes living in Tuscaloosa. I think he's happy. You don't leave what makes you happy.
That's my take.
Thanks for the post Jess.
sip

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
If ANYTHING, I could see him retiring sooner than 'expected'.

I have a shorthorn buddy in Houston who is dead-set that this story has traction. There are NCAA rumblings, where there is smoke there is fire, the Bama fan base has made him weary, and he wants out.

My response was quick: 1. Who was looking for a house? Mrs Saban or the d-i-l? Exactly. You don't know.

2. If NCAA rumblings mean getting a slap on the wrist for running a modern day SMU like Miami just got, then I think BamaNation will take its chances.

3. If it came down to Title Town vs Entitlement Town you really think the fan base in Austin, when not stoned, is any better to be a part of?

We haven't spoken today, but it's early

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I may have to eat my words but here goes.

I only meet CNS a couple of times but he seems like a good man. It's sad that on 10rc week we get this clutter, which is all I think it is.

Saban wants money and that's it, Really, do you know how much of his money he gives back to the community & university? Also, Alabama could pay whatever, have you seen the video on the training facilities? Have you ever heard of a coach of a 3 time national championship team looking to jump ship mid-season going for his 4th & 3 in a row? This is some kind of really crazy crap probably put out by 10rc fans.

If coach leaves at the end of the season (which I think there is no chance at all) then I want to thank him for restoring Alabama to its glory.

The other really strange thing for me is Have you ever seen him happier? Jumping on Cy Jones after a good play was almost like he was on the field with him. That celebration told a lot about how he enjoys coaching.

Crimsongator

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2003
Hills of North Georgia
I may have to eat my words but here goes.

I only meet CNS a couple of times but he seems like a good man. It's sad that on 10rc week we get this clutter, which is all I think it is.

Saban wants money and that's it, Really, do you know how much of his money he gives back to the community & university? Also, Alabama could pay whatever, have you seen the video on the training facilities? Have you ever heard of a coach of a 3 time national championship team looking to jump ship mid-season going for his 4th & 3 in a row? This is some kind of really crazy crap probably put out by 10rc fans.

If coach leaves at the end of the season (which I think there is no chance at all) then I want to thank him for restoring Alabama to its glory.

The other really strange thing for me is Have you ever seen him happier? Jumping on Cy Jones after a good play was almost like he was on the field with him. That celebration told a lot about how he enjoys coaching.
Couldn't agree more

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
I am not sure that I agree with the bolded. Nick Saban is in a unique situation at Alabama. He has so dramatically changed the financial situation at Alabama that he could ask for almost any pay increase and have it approved within 24 hours. Texas does not provide any greater leverage than he already has. The threat that he might retire is more valid, and would have the same impact.
I agree with this 100%. Money will not be the deciding factor. He has enough of that already. At his age, and I am not saying Saban is old, would he want to move to another job, deal with the additional Texas BS (Longhorn Network obligations) and rebuild another team at this point? Sure he would be guaranteed a cupcake schedule every year, but what challenge would that present to Saban?
Look, Texas is much like Disney World. If you are a part of that Magic Kingdom and within its confines, everything is wonderful, perfect and a Cinderella daydream just because you are Texas. But to the rest of the outside world, it is recognized as fantasy, "image", smoke and mirrors. Fun place to visit but could you actually handle living there all the time???

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Thanks, Jess. I'm going to just enjoy this season. We have some viles to crush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I'm with Florida Tom on this one - you'd have to be nuts to plan on leaving in the middle of a 3rd-straight championship season. And a 4th might be in play. You'd have to be a bit nuts even to stir the pudding for a little extra cash you don't need, while creating an external distraction of the type that Saban despises.

My take is this is just noise amplified by a deeply jealous fan base.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
My opinion is that, one of the main points that sold CNS on coming to Tuscaloosa was that he could run the football program the way he wanted and Coach Mal Moore was OK with that and did not demand a buy out clause. I don't think the bigheads at Texas would allow that, they like to have a hand in everything, sort of like Jerry Jones. I don't think CNS would put up with the longhorn network either because of it destroying that conference. I guess for Texas it is nice to dream though, dreams is all they have. :)

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I too will be surprised if he leaves. This is something that occurs yearly now. Saban is going to leave a go to (fill in the blank school or NFL team). Saban hates distractions and Texas with that crazy network is nothing but a distraction. The alumni and boosters are a meddling bunch as well. Why leave the recruiting pipeline that you have established to go somewhere and have to build again. I know Texas is talented and a recruiting hot bed, but the shelves are stocked at Bama for the next 5 years with everything from QB's to Safeties. If he does go at some point I agree that I will always be grateful for the titles and Bama being returned to glory.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
I will say, I was comfortable with the Sabans staying for good, until all this " empty student section " stuff started up.

There's nothing to make a coach and a team feel more unappreciated than that. NOTHING.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I will say, I was comfortable with the Sabans staying for good, until all this " empty student section " stuff started up.

There's nothing to make a coach and a team feel more unappreciated than that. NOTHING.
While he may not like students leaving early, there is no way that is a factor in a decision for Coach Saban to take another job. Rest easy, my friend.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.