*** Safety Laurence 'Hootie' Jones Re-Commits to Alabama ***

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
Re: *** Safety Laurence 'Hootie' Jones decommits, needs more time

All this does is allow us to land other recruits that's equally talented that we wouldn't have been able to recruit otherwise..
Correct. I would rather have a 3 or 4 star kid with a nickname like "Haymaker" or "Fright Night" or something vs. a 5 star kid. Sometimes reputations are better earned and deserved than stars from recruiting services. Those kids often times may have less physical talent but want it more and play with a mean streak.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms

That would be ok if you could join the big 10. Bama has been well coached, but Bama has also dominated recruiting the people everybody wants.
Correct. I would rather have a 3 or 4 star kid with a nickname like "Haymaker" or "Fright Night" or something vs. a 5 star kid. Sometimes reputations are better earned and deserved than stars from recruiting services. Those kids often times may have less physical talent but want it more and play with a mean streak.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Wallace Gilberry comes to mind...

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010

That would be ok if you could join the big 10. Bama has been well coached, but Bama has also dominated recruiting the people everybody wants.
Sometimes though the 5 star kids are as developed physically as they are ever going to be. Perhaps why they dominate so well on the HS level. Some are as good as advertised though and do develop well.
Tommy Maddux was like the former. He was a great HS QB but he never got "better". Sure he had enough talent to get a few NFL years but what you saw in HS was what he was. He never went through the next stage of physical development. It can be argued that Saban did do as well in 2008 and 2009 with some of the lesser recruits and the inherited ones from Shula. Saban can get the most out of anyone but the question in recruiting is how much more is there. I never really sweat the ones who decommit because Saban will "make" another one just as good most of the time.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010

Sorry, but everyone needs to get over it.....and enjoy their Christmas holiday!

How many losses does Bama have in the last 5 years? Aren't we #1 in recruiting again? We'll be OK, and we have a lot to be thankful for.

Now go enjoy your friends, family, and some egg nog.....and quite worrying about every single recruit.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

Glass.... quit posting rumor starting guesses.... kamara and dickson are likely academic due to the timing

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Hootie was telling people last night that he was going to announce his commitment during the Under Armour game tonight, but by this morning he had changed his mind and decided against it.

For a kid who plans on enrolling in a few days, it certainly doesn't seem like he has much of a clue as to where he is headed.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

Hootie was telling people last night that he was going to announce his commitment during the Under Armour game tonight, but by this morning he had changed his mind and decided against it.

For a kid who plans on enrolling in a few days, it certainly doesn't seem like he has much of a clue as to where he is headed.
him delaying may well help us ...i think after he decommitted, he would have called LSU t the under armour game...maybe its a good sign.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn

I know Brown is still a longshot for us, maybe not as long as it was a few weeks ago;). I do wonder though if we get Brown since it appears he can play safety if we will still have room for Hootie.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

Hootie doesn't have to commit today as I'm sure he knows. He still has almost a month to decide. Sounds like he should take it. Poor kid, wonder why he's so torn.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Hootie doesn't have to commit today as I'm sure he knows. He still has almost a month to decide. Sounds like he should take it. Poor kid, wonder why he's so torn.
Last day for him to enroll early at Alabama is January 15th.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

I do wonder though if we get Brown since it appears he can play safety if we will still have room for Hootie.
All of the remaining targets at DB -- Humphrey, Tabor, Brown, Hootie, and C.J. Hampton -- have commitable offers. At this juncture, given how badly you need quality DBs these days, we'd take them all and find a way to make them fit if all wanted to come to UA (though obviously that's highly unlikely to happen).

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

I can see why he is torn. He probably has fans, players, media, and family in his ear telling him where he should go. Some classes are getting tight and he isn't sure he has a spot. I think TidenGA is right that he should take his time and forget about enrolling early. Sometimes it is better to enroll later and make sure you go where you want to go.
Hootie needs to get away from everyone who has an agenda and get around people who wants what is best for CJ. Then decide.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

him delaying may well help us ...i think after he decommitted, he would have called LSU t the under armour game...maybe its a good sign.
Was talking to an LSU buddy of mine the other day and he said LSU is no longer "holding a spot" for Jones. Not sure how true this is but this guy normally doesn't just say random stupid stuff. They will still accept him if he wants to commit but they are not "holding one open" just for him any longer.

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Was talking to an LSU buddy of mine the other day and he said LSU is no longer "holding a spot" for Jones. Not sure how true this is but this guy normally doesn't just say random stupid stuff.
There has been a lot of serious talk about that with several knowledgeable LSU fans I regularly converse with, so it's a legitimate question. Having said that, though, I fail to see how Miles would ever not take Hootie's commitment if he really wanted to come to LSU, even if space would be tight, just because (1) Hootie is a fine prospect, (2) he would otherwise play against LSU in the SEC West, (3) and getting Hootie would help turn back some of the momentum Alabama has generated in Louisiana the past couple of years.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Was talking to an LSU buddy of mine the other day and he said LSU is no longer "holding a spot" for Jones. Not sure how true this is but this guy normally doesn't just say random stupid stuff. They will still accept him if he wants to commit but they are not "holding one open" just for him any longer.
My LSU connects told me that the day he decommitted. Said that that ship had already sailed.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

My LSU connects told me that the day he decommitted. Said that that ship had already sailed.
Yep. That's EXACTLY what I was told. I will not speculate what happened or what it was but I've been told by several LSU folks that either Hootie or his mom (or possibly both) didn't like or "wasn't impressed" by his visit. I don't know what that means but something went down on his visit. It seems Hootie and his mom weren't the only ones "not impressed" with the visit. LSU might not have been "impressed" either. We'll see.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.