How do you increase reading rate, while still retaining information?

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
I have looked at numerous articles and studies and most seem to believe in this skimming idea, or looking for the meet in the paragraph etc... Does anyone on here know of an article or a book on increasing reading wpm without "rushing". I am also looking for any phone or ipad apps that might help.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
From what I understand, you read at the pace you speak, with all the inflections, etc that you would use. The only way to increase your pace is by "skimming", which gives you a general idea of the content, but never as much detail as reading at your normal pace. There is no other way to read faster, as far as I know.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
The Evelyn Woodhead Speed Reading course... (obscure reference, anyone?)

Seriously, I think if you really want to enjoy what you are reading, the best way is to get into a good, quiet reading spot, and read, read, read.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
From what I understand, you read at the pace you speak, with all the inflections, etc that you would use. The only way to increase your pace is by "skimming", which gives you a general idea of the content, but never as much detail as reading at your normal pace. There is no other way to read faster, as far as I know.
You should be able to read and absorb information at faster than your subvocalization speed (2-3x faster)
Faster than that, and you lose comprehension.

Professor

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2017
If you read a lot, it is inevitable that a great deal of the information will be lost. And frankly, some of the stuff I read isn't worth remembering.

Let me suggest this (I picked up this habit from my wife): I keep a list of the books read. Done this way: I have a computer sheet on which I record basic information such as title, author, date read and a brief summary. You will find that months later you can read that brief summary and a lot of the plot will come back to you.

I also do some public speaking. So if I run across something that I might use in the future, I put it in a file in which I record whatever it is I might use along with the source for giving credit.

I wish I had started this many years ago!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.