JessN: Sources say Saban, Bama are close on contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Most people who spend their lives influencing young people spend their whole lives underappreciated. You'd think for a few million a year plus a few million more this year in paying off debts would be appreciation, but I guess it depends on your perspective...
But CNS is more than just a person who "influences young people."

He's been worshiped as much as a fallible human being can be worshiped in Alabama since the day he landed so I don't get him (and Terry) not feeling appreciated.

That doesn't even address the boatload of money he's been paid.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I agree it's a bit different situation from Miami. At Miami, when Saban said he had no interest in Alabama, it was true. We were operating under info given to us from JS... who indicated Saban would be interested after their season was concluded if we'd wait that long. I don't know exactly when Sexton approached Saban with the possibility... but I tend to believe it was later rather than sooner due to Saban's focus during a season. His wording was what was bad... instead of saying "I'm not going to UA," it should have been "I have no interest in that job." At the time, I believe Sexton knew Saban was done with the Dolphins... with control in personnel decisions being a huge factor.

Today, much more has been said... with particulars added. Saban repeatedly has claimed he'll not leave for another job - that retirement is what will end his time as HC here. IF he were to leave, his credibility will be greatly harmed... FAR more than the fallout from Miami.
5 words vs interview after interview after interview,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

Last edited by a moderator:

TLIT

Scout Team
Apr 28, 2011
Central VA
I honestly think it comes down to this: Coach Saban is not satisfied at Alabama. But Coach Saban would not be satisfied anywhere... that's the price you pay when you base your happiness around always striving to achieve an unachievable standard. I do think the process of building is more satisfying to him than sustaining, though. Hence, he considers moving on.

However, I take him at his word when he says he's too old to start over. So, where does that leave him? Not satisfied with where he is, but not sure he can start over, either. So, he sends mixed messages, and is indecisive. Totally normal, if you ask me. And it seems clear that he is not ready to retire, either.

My guess is that he's going to think about this for a while. He's going to leave his options open. And it's going to be unpleasant for us, but this is the price we pay for all the good we've gotten because of him over the past years. If he does decide to leave, even for Texas, count me among the ones who will not be bitter. After all, his leaving would come from the same personality traits that have made him (and our team) so great. Can't fault him for being who he is.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Earle, remember Coach Bryant quit us for the Dolphins. Then he reneged. Saban's going through a bit of "existential" crisis. Could go either way, though. Still not comfortable with Ms. Terry's interview. Someone .... her off?

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I agree it's a bit different situation from Miami. At Miami, when Saban said he had no interest in Alabama, it was true. We were operating under info given to us from JS... who indicated Saban would be interested after their season was concluded if we'd wait that long. I don't know exactly when Sexton approached Saban with the possibility... but I tend to believe it was later rather than sooner due to Saban's focus during a season. His wording was what was bad... instead of saying "I'm not going to UA," it should have been "I have no interest in that job." At the time, I believe Sexton knew Saban was done with the Dolphins... with control in personnel decisions being a huge factor.

Today, much more has been said... with particulars added. Saban repeatedly has claimed he'll not leave for another job - that retirement is what will end his time as HC here. IF he were to leave, his credibility will be greatly harmed... FAR more than the fallout from Miami.
At 62 years old and having to repair another "image malfunction" might be too late in his career to repair. Him leaving for another team after what he and Terri have said could kill any type success before they ever step foot on campus. Like you said, this is a much different situation than the Miami. They've commented a lot more this go 'round.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't agree. It's a question of character and what might well happen. After that 60 Minutes interview and how he was perceived after he left the Dolphins..... Need I say more?
That is a valid point from which I do not dissent.

If he truly is in it for the pleasure of working with young people then it doesn't matter where he is. If you are a "teacher" as he says he is then it's not about being appreciated. It's about the chance to make a difference and being a constant in the lives of those that he is affiliated with and teaches.
Look, I agree his leaving would be shall we say not what we want. And are there issues with integrity? Absolutely. At the same time, I specifically remember JessN saying in his commentary when Saban would hired how good it would be for this place even if Saban only came and stayed two years given what he could do.

Maybe it's that I'm not completely surprised anymore by football coaches who say one thing and do another. That said - let's wait until it plays out. I'm concerned for no other reason than the sources here being concerned. But I'll leave it there for now.

Bear Disciple

1st Team
Oct 27, 2009
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here yet or not, but the first thing I think about whenever a different rumor arises about Coach Saban to another college is what he always says about his assistants and lateral moves. He has been adamant that he doesn't advise his coaches to make lateral moves, and would not appreciate it if they did. CNS has yet to make a lateral move in his coaching career. I think we can all agree that he will not be going back to the NFL, so I don't see why, even if you remove everything about him and Terry saying they will stay, he would make a move that would not even be a lateral move, but a step down. Just would not make sense to me.

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
At 62 years old and having to repair another "image malfunction" might be too late in his career to repair. Him leaving for another team after what he and Terri have said could kill any type success before they ever step foot on campus. Like you said, this is a much different situation than the Miami. They've commented a lot more this go 'round.
I've tried to follow it all but....with Earle mentioning health here, should we maybe thinking more about retirement than Texas ?
Maybe the trip to gameday sweetened a tv deal?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I honestly think it comes down to this: Coach Saban is not satisfied at Alabama. But Coach Saban would not be satisfied anywhere... that's the price you pay when you base your happiness around always striving to achieve an unachievable standard. I do think the process of building is more satisfying to him than sustaining, though. Hence, he considers moving on.

However, I take him at his word when he says he's too old to start over. So, where does that leave him? Not satisfied with where he is, but not sure he can start over, either. So, he sends mixed messages, and is indecisive. Totally normal, if you ask me. And it seems clear that he is not ready to retire, either.

My guess is that he's going to think about this for a while. He's going to leave his options open. And it's going to be unpleasant for us, but this is the price we pay for all the good we've gotten because of him over the past years. If he does decide to leave, even for Texas, count me among the ones who will not be bitter. After all, his leaving would come from the same personality traits that have made him (and our team) so great. Can't fault him for being who he is.
This is a point I think needs to be remembered by everyone: sometimes the very traits that make you successful at your chosen occupation often make you terrible in other areas. I could give example after example, particularly in sports. The very same traits that made Pete Rose such an admired ballplayer contributed to his downfall as a gambler. The late Alan Kulwicki was an engineering genius in a race car who couldn't communicate with people on a normal level to save his life. Many folks in the arts are extremely successful and at the same time have personalities of dishwater.

Once again - let it play out. Do you know how many "coach X to so and so" we see every year that never happen?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I believe in preemptive scorn. I'll feel better when if and when it does happen. The extension should've been signed by now if you want to stay!

A lot of people seem to be criticizing for something that hasn't happened yet. I'll hold my opinions until rumors are replaced with facts.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And I love Earle, but he can't exactly tell us everything he knows, what the situation is, or who is doing what. It may not be a rumor to him, but it's still nothing but speculation for the rest of us, and whatever kernel of truth Earle has provided rapidly develops several layers of hysteria. Like I said, I'll wait for news.
Oh sure! I'll tell you exactly who Saban's confidant is. You'll be satisfied and I lose a great source forever. BS! Now YOU stay out of this thread, so you won't be made unhappy and pout. And that's not a request either. Not. One. More. Word...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.