JessN: Sources say Saban, Bama are close on contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
This thread is an example of the thought processes that allow Texas fans to still have hope. No matter what Saban says, so many still have doubt. Imagine if everyone doubted you in this way? That has to be hurtful.
Read the thread starting at page 16. One of our own blue bloods on this board has legit concerns and that is what has caused a bit of panic here.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Read the thread starting at page 16. One of our own blue bloods on this board has legit concerns and that is what has caused a bit of panic here.
I am not criticizing you, just pointing out the obvious. You guys have laughed openly at Texas fans for this sort of thing. Time to put up or shut up. Trust Saban until he gives YOU a reason not to.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
We need to calm down. Apparently this is far from a done deal either way. If CNS chooses to leave ,that is his choice enitrely. We all want him to stay, but ultimately it is up to him and Miss Terri. He and Miss Terri has moved frequently thoughout their lives together to further his career path so I feel sure that moving to a new city is not a factor in their decision. I do think this a lateral move though. Maybe even a slightly less appealing job because Bama has more tradition than Texas does by far. Saban and Alabama have been a nearly perfect mix of program and coach. Both Saban and Alabama have benefitted from the realtionship He once said our expectations as fans were not as high as his, but he seems to be having trouble dealing with the expectation of championships every year.

Alabama is a geat program and school so if it comes to that, we'll be OK. Bama has probably one of if not the best facilities in the country. UT's facilities unless they have renovated it in the last year or so, while good are not as good as ours at this point. Bryant Denny is a more impressive stadium than theirs.

There is only one Nick Saban though and potentially replacing him won't be easy. I frankly trust Coach Battle to make sound decision in whatever situation that may or may not have to made at some point. I also beleive he has done everything he can to keep him here. The fact that he is not Mal should not be held against him.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
For my part, I've never participated in the Saban is leaving rumors. I've steadfastly believed that he was going to stick to the program, and on the other hand I've argued incessantly (much to the annoyance of other posters here) that we need to do everything we can to be a part of the process as well, and to show our support and appreciation for what he's done.
Yea, that's me too. I guess I always figured that the ones that brought him here would make sure he stayed. That is, give him what he wants. Now, I know that things have changed, especially the passing of Coach Moore, but I still believe in giving the man what he wants. $10 million, $12 million...what does it matter? Coach is money in the bank in more ways than one. Give him what he wants.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I am not criticizing you, just pointing out the obvious. You guys have laughed openly at Texas fans for this sort of thing. Time to put up or shut up. Trust Saban until he gives YOU a reason not to.
Yes, I know...you are a great poster and appreciate your input. I look forward to him inking a new deal with us very soon.

bamafan_bdb

1st Team
Jan 14, 2004
One thing's for sure he'll greatly tarnish his legacy if he bolts to Texas. He's been able to more less quiet the Miami critics who basically did their best to ruin his reputation when he left there. He leaves now and I promise you it will ignite the most "blood in the water" media situation we've seen in some time and you know not only the Miami media but the others who jumped on that bash Saban train. Will be front and center with knives fully sharpened.
I think that's partially true, but there are two factors that would make this less damaging than the Miami situation. One, many are tired of Alabama being on top, even if we got beat last week. Media members love new teams and new faces. They wouldn't mind seeing Alabama going down and Texas being resurrected. It creates a story. Two, and more importantly, Saban wasn't on top of the world when he left Miami. He had struggled through a second year and there were major questions about him as a pro head coach. Now, he's at the top of the heap, and media members know it. They aren't nearly as likely to cross him and trash him as they were in 2006. Media members not only love new stories, they love access. Some would criticize and most would make passing reference to his roving heart, but I doubt many would go into full attack mode. A lot of people would give him a pass and would simply play up the "Alabama is nuts" and "Saban likes a challenge" angles.

Of course, not that it matters! We want him to stay; we don't really care what's said about him if leaves. I still think he stays, but like 99.999% of people, I'm not in the know.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Actually Mike Shannahan will probably Houston's next coach, but like I said. There's nothing from where I sit that makes me believe that he won't be our coach for the remainder of his contract.

Point I was making is that more jobs became available (as they always do around this time of year). So that's what's keeping the rumors going, regardless of where they're originating.
Shanahan is not a candidate for the Texans. Love Smith, Whisenhunt and Shaw are rumored. Also, fwiw, Sumlin hasn't signed his extension.

RollTide2U

All-American
Oct 30, 2010
St. Florian, Alabama
I think all we know of a certainty is that he hasn't signed the contract extension. Do we know why? Until I see him actually take the job at Texas, I tend to believe he's staying but wants to get the best contract he can. If he's had bad investments, etc., he has to make sure he gets this thing right at his age, and this contract extends to the end of the decade. Perhaps there's a sticking point there? Perhaps he's not really interested in Texas, but it's being used as leverage? The man has gone out of his way to 1) let the public know he regrets how he left Miami 2) he's made definitive statements that he's too old to start over 3) his wife has made her own statements.

Now people lie - no doubt about that. And these 2 could be the biggest pathological liars out there - that's possible. But I think renewed integrity has been important to him - he's worked for it. He has stayed here longer than any place he's been. The Texas job may be being dangled in front of him, and it's a good leverage tool. But do we really know that the reason he hasn't signed the Alabama contract is because he's interested in Texas? Do we know that definitively? Or are we just concerned that he hasn't signed yet and we know that's out there, and we fear it's the reason? I've read Earle's statements, but they are vague at best. I respect that - I don't expect him to tell us all that he knows or hears. I just think we could be jumping to conclusions. In my mind, all of this could be that he's trying to get the best contract he can, which could be his last one ever.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I'm not going to meaningfully engage in this just because it's not worth the time and effort, and all discussion is irrelevant as to the outcome either way.

All I will say is this: I'm not too concerned at the moment, and won't be until I see something a lot more substantive. I am, however, under no delusions as to the fact that Saban can very well leave any second he gets the mind to do so. I don't say that to evince concern, mind you, just to note a healthy understanding of reality.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Anyone with connections near the airport know anything regarding this flight?
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N323P
It's the UA plane, so I can assure you it has nothing to do with anything relating to coaching turnover. Besides, schools have long-since figured out that you don't conduct business that way, otherwise flight watchers figure things out via the tail numbers.

Again, don't know what it is, but I'm sure it's nothing of note to anything this board would be concerned with.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Last night I saw a tweet that Elam said he had a visit from CNS today. The fact he's been on the recruiting trail is reassuring, but, at the same time, that's what CNS does. He's not going to be sitting around at home on the lake watching reruns of NCIS on USA.

What's not so reassuring is the pattern of saying I'm staying, but then bolting. We only remember Miami, but I've seen quotes of CNS saying something to the equivalent of "I'm staying and retiring here" at LSU and even Mich. St. That's not reassuring.

Folks, he's always been a hired gun. But right now he's our hired gun and hopefully he decides to stay and cement his legacy, which, as someone else said, is maybe our best hope.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Just a note for the file: Saban is still in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. He's doing an in-school visit right now with Matt Elam at John Hardin High School. Apparently he stayed the night there last night, because he had an in-home with Elam yesterday evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.