JessN: Sources say Saban, Bama are close on contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
If he retires, I'll thank him and wish him well. If he leaves for another school (esp. Texas) after all of his and Terry's comments, then the only thing you can say is the Miami press was right. I still think he stays, at least a while longer.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Maybe I'm in the minority, but if CNS were to leave/retire, whatever, I'd tip my hat to him and be eternally grateful for everything he's done for our program.
I'm the most optimistic Tidefan you're going to find and I tell you with certainty that I would be very, very bitter towards anything associated with Nick Saban if he left for anything other than a pro job or retirement.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If he retires, I'll thank him and wish him well. If he leaves for another school (esp. Texas) after all of his and Terry's comments, then the only thing you can say is the Miami press was right. I still think he stays, at least a while longer.
To be honest I wouldn't bother wasting an ounce of my energy or time being bitter at him. I agree, it would mean he AND his wife are liars but that's something they'd have to deal with, not me. As it stands now him even considering leaving AFTER he and Terri rambled OVER AND OVER that their next move would be to Lake Burton doesn't sit well with me.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
I just don't see how a guy with 3 national titles at Bama (including back to back) could head to greener pastures. In such a scenario I don't know how we'd ever have a statue of the guy.

Well, except for Wallace Wade, who did all that...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
To be honest I wouldn't bother wasting an ounce of my energy or time being bitter at him. I agree, it would mean he AND his wife are liars but that's something they'd have to deal with, not me. As it stands now him even considering leaving AFTER he and Terri rambled OVER AND OVER that their next move would be to Lake Burton doesn't sit well with me.
Couldn't say it better.

For the life of me I'll never understand why coaches don't learn to never say anything about things like this.

If he goes to UT, it won't be pretty.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Here is the situation with Texas. They are going to do the same thing Mal Moore did in early 2007 and that is to try and get the best coach in the country to come and return them to their version of glory. They do not care what the salary is, or how much the buyout is, or if it is after the NCG or the Super Bowl. Do not assume that because a big-time college coach has reportedly signed a contact extension at a major University, or a coach currently coaching a NFL team that will be playing in January it means they are out of the picture. Texas feels like they have one chance to get it right and they are going to all they can to make sure it happens and they will wait and pay whatever it takes. It is going to be a monumental play on their part that will change the "game" for some college or pro team, but I don't have any reason to believe it will be CNS so long as Bama does what it needs to do.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If only Colt McCoy wouldn't have gotten hurt ......
If he were to go to texas, I think that I'd have to move. Those Longhorns are the most arrogant fan base in this country and they have the #1 rank in arrogance and #2 isn't even close.

If I were B. Battle I'd have the phone close and Coach Strong's number ready to make a call.

I honestly don't feel this would happen, Coach Saban leaving, after what he has said and what his wife has said.

Has ESPN offered him $20 million a year to give analysis of games? Is he replacing Corso but with a much bigger role? Na!! Don't think that will happen yet?

Coach, if you are leaving and must go, go to the Texans, NOT the Horns!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think anybody here preparing to be "bitter" (if the worst comes) needs to realize you are demonstrating precisely the "unappreciative" aspect that has been mentioned by Mrs Saban.

My goodness, three national titles in four years and a program on a solid foundation....and then a meltdown? Look at LSU's sustained run after he left there. I'm not trying to be "nothing to see here," I don't know - I'm just saying that if we had not had him then odds are we'd be three fewer national titles. OK?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I'm not sure when this thread became another Saban to Texas thread. But it should be closed until there's any news on a contract extension.
If it were anyone but Earle I would discount it categorically. After a decade on this board there are just a few that get my attention. He and Jess both have me frazzled by what little they've suggested.

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
Another thing that I was thinking about this whole situation is that he and Mack Brown are supposed to be friends. So, if he leaves for Texas now after him and his wife said that they are staying, he and his wife would be viewed as lying to the University, players, and fans and he would have stabbed one of his friends in the back in the process of doing this. Because it is obvious that Mack does not want to leave Texas. That is just my thoughts on this. I feel like this is the football version of the seven year itch since this is his seventh year at Bama. Also, if he does decide to leave I am happy with what he has helped rebuild at Alabama and Alabama is in a position to get just about any coach that they want. They are no where near the position they were in when he came hear.

CrimsonCrusade

1st Team
Nov 9, 2011
Cookeville, TN
I think anybody here preparing to be "bitter" (if the worst comes) needs to realize you are demonstrating precisely the "unappreciative" aspect that has been mentioned by Mrs Saban.

My goodness, three national titles in four years and a program on a solid foundation....and then a meltdown? Look at LSU's sustained run after he left there. I'm not trying to be "nothing to see here," I don't know - I'm just saying that if we had not had him then odds are we'd be three fewer national titles. OK?
Where we were in 2006? We'd be lucky to have reached the Capital One Bowl without him in the last 8 years, much less any BCS bowls.

If he leaves, he will be the second greatest coach this university has ever had, arguably even better than Bryant because the game is so much tougher now. He took Alabama from a laughing stock to the most feared team in the country each year. I would still thank him.

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Agree totally.

Having been in school during the Dubose era and then following that up with Fran and Price/Shula, I find it very hard to be bitter at the man. Considering where we were and where we are now, I can't be mad at the man if he leaves or retires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.