JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Sources say Saban, Bama are close on contract
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
December 6th, 2013 06:55 PM

The University of Alabama and head coach Nick Saban are close on terms of a contract extension that would lock Saban to Alabama well into the next decade, sources told TideFans.com on Friday. . Speaking on condition of anonymity, a source told TideFans.com that Alabama […]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I said many times, the tornados did something to the Saban's. I think he & she really connected to the community. Hopefully it will stop all the stupid rumors for good.

fralo4tide

1st Team
Jun 4, 2009
Pensacola, FL
Boom! Can I use this as a rebuttal to Barn co-workers who have been flooding my email inbox yesterday with Saban to UT propaganda? :biggrin2:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I like the sound of that. Interesting use of the word "lock"...
The University of Alabama and head coach Nick Saban are close on terms of a contract extension that would lock Saban to Alabama well into the next decade, sources told TideFans.com on Friday.
Yeah, I have no doubt that CNS will retire from here at some time but from what I have seen of coach hopping, lock seems to be a strong word.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
"An official announcement would not likely be made until after the conclusion of the SEC Championship Game. The Southeastern Conference has historically frowned upon major announcements coming out the week of the league’s title game."

So, no surprise, but I guess Aubie doesn't have to play by this rule? :rolleyes:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...tigers-coach-gus-malzahn-gets-raise-extension
I actually was editing the story while you were typing this, apparently. If the team making the announcement is in the game itself, no harm/foul.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Does this new contract include any sort of buy out clause? If not, it's really nothing more than a raise.
It's the same as before - a raise and an extension.

Short of a ridiculous dollar figure, buyouts don't do much, except tie a coach to a university when he's rather be elsewhere...

Last edited:

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham

Short of a ridiculous dollar figure, buyouts don't do much, except tie a coach to a university when he's rather be elsewhere...
My point - it's nothing more than a renegotiated pay structure. The length of the contract is meaningless with nothing holding either party accountable.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

I can't think off the top of my head where a buyout has kept a coach from moving. OTOH I can think of some cases where it provided a soft landing.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
My point - it's nothing more than a renegotiated pay structure. The length of the contract is meaningless with nothing holding either party accountable.
Well, CNS is guaranteed that amount as long as he stays (or should Alabama fire him - yeah, I know), so it is a bit more than a pay raise.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The no buyout contracts are always an annual contract, so far as the length is concerned. If a coach quits at the end of a season, nothing is owed to either party. If a coach is fired midseason, then the school normally owes the coach the balance of the season's salary. Likewise, if there's any cost to the school from a coach leaving, then he'd owe the school. All of these contracts, those with buyouts, have a mitigation clause. If the coach takes another job, then that income is deducted from the coach's buyout payments. That happened with Shula, most recently. Saban hasn't had a contract with a buyout since his latter years at MSU. He's always thought that it's proof that he's where he is because he wants to be - not "has" to be. But, in the end, you're correct. The announced length is really more or a PR device, even more so in this case, since it's in there to end the leaving rumors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.