Brag On Your Kid(s)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
thought y'all might enjoy this performance by the orchestra my daughter is in (Georgia Youth Symphony Orchestra - GYSO). She's 2nd from left on bottom row with her violin obscuring her face for most of the performance :D The director had them record themselves playing their part of the performance and then put it all together.

That's the most remarkable thing I've seen in a long time. Just fantastic, Brent!

I'm so impressed with the talent those young people possess.

And the technology to allow such a creative video. The audio is really amazing!

The French Horn player upper right has some interesting animations...lol. And the horns on the (is it an Oboe) player upper left....ha!

I like classical music OK but not a huge fan. But would listen to this piece every day just knowing who and how it was performed.

Thank you for sharing - it really has made my day! :)

• Thank You
Reactions: BamaNation

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Thanks. Yeah, they are amazing given they're mostly 7th & 8th graders. She auditioned on 2 instruments for 2020-2021 and, on violin, passed the next to top orchestra level score and on clarinet passed the top orchestra level score. Due to needs/#'s she is placed in this orchestra on 1st Violin and is 1st chair in clarinet on the next to top and has been invited to be in a "clarinet choir" of the top clarinetists which will practice and perform separately, as well. If anyone drops from the top orchestra, she'll be moved up there.

She is also pretty amazing on piano and pretty good on ukelele and has also done a steel drum band. I'm trying to get her to do a piece where she plays all the instruments and puts together something like this.

She also had a great academic year (99 avg overall and had the highest avg in French 1) and will be taking 3 Honors/AP courses in 9th grade (the max her school allows). She took the SAT in March and could probably get into all but the elite schools based on her score.

I'm so glad she takes after me :D

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Thanks. Yeah, they are amazing given they're mostly 7th & 8th graders. She auditioned on 2 instruments for 2020-2021 and, on violin, passed the next to top orchestra level score and on clarinet passed the top orchestra level score. Due to needs/#'s she is placed in this orchestra on 1st Violin and is 1st chair in clarinet on the next to top and has been invited to be in a "clarinet choir" of the top clarinetists which will practice and perform separately, as well. If anyone drops from the top orchestra, she'll be moved up there.

She is also pretty amazing on piano and pretty good on ukelele and has also done a steel drum band. I'm trying to get her to do a piece where she plays all the instruments and puts together something like this.

She also had a great academic year (99 avg overall and had the highest avg in French 1) and will be taking 3 Honors/AP courses in 9th grade (the max her school allows). She took the SAT in March and could probably get into all but the elite schools based on her score.

I'm so glad she takes after me :D
Sounds like she is on the way to being debt free when she gets out of college. I know it is a long way off, but she is doing great right now.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Not my kid. Passing it along from another forum I'm on.......thought it would be appreciated......
=============

Our son-in-law was awarded the U.S. Navy Meritorious Service Medal for his work on the repairs to the John S. McCain over in Japan.

To say we are proud of him and our daughter, whom he credits with holding things together family wise as he put in 70-80 hour work weeks for nearly 20 months, is an understatement.

200603_N_HZ742_0101591414091.jpg

Reactions: Toddrn and Con

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Earle can correct me if wrong, but I believe his stepson works at this place here. A LOT of positive reviews on Nextdoor today!

Terry Malone
General Public House
A friend and I dined for the first time at GPH. It is on Canal in the old Half Wall Brewery space. I was expecting bar food and was pleasantly surprised how great it was. I had the pecan encrusted snapper. It was amazing. My friend had the Redfish. She loved it. Service was also great. I recommend General Public House!

Guy Walker
North Beach and Causeway
I love their rack of lamb

4113d787a8693aeaa0e46bdc5fdd0cb7.jpeg.max800.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: TIDE-HSV

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Earle can correct me if wrong, but I believe his stepson works at this place here. A LOT of positive reviews on Nextdoor today!

Terry Malone
General Public House
A friend and I dined for the first time at GPH. It is on Canal in the old Half Wall Brewery space. I was expecting bar food and was pleasantly surprised how great it was. I had the pecan encrusted snapper. It was amazing. My friend had the Redfish. She loved it. Service was also great. I recommend General Public House!

Guy Walker
North Beach and Causeway
I love their rack of lamb

View attachment 8671
That looks very good.

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Sounds like she is on the way to being debt free when she gets out of college. I know it is a long way off, but she is doing great right now.
Thanks. She's incredibly focused and talented on several fronts. She's smart, very socialable, and a pretty decent athlete, too (soccer & cross country). Not perfect but given she's nearly 14, a delight to be around :D Yesterday she popped into my office and said "let's go for a ride" so we drove around for ~2 hours just talking.

Her stated goal is that we don't have to pay one cent of her college. [Since 2yrs old, she has said she wants to be an emergency room pediatrician ... so that may be a tall order] ;) Regardless, we're proud of her and her 9yo sister who's as equally as smart (not quite as focused) and fun to be around. Praying that they keep developing on their current paths! ... I give lots of credit to their parents. :D

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Thanks. She's incredibly focused and talented on several fronts. She's smart, very socialable, and a pretty decent athlete, too (soccer & cross country). Not perfect but given she's nearly 14, a delight to be around :D Yesterday she popped into my office and said "let's go for a ride" so we drove around for ~2 hours just talking.

Her stated goal is that we don't have to pay one cent of her college. [Since 2yrs old, she has said she wants to be an emergency room pediatrician ... so that may be a tall order] ;) Regardless, we're proud of her and her 9yo sister who's as equally as smart (not quite as focused) and fun to be around. Praying that they keep developing on their current paths! ... I give lots of credit to their parents. :D
That is great to hear.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
My son finally started his internship this week. He had a good week. They gave him a couple of programming issues and he fixed them both. He was so excited about correcting the issues for this company. It really boosted his confidence and to tell you the truth, the lockdown may have benefitted him a lot because he had so much extra time to sit around working with different programming languages to be more prepared for this job. Next week they are going to give him another little project to work on so hopefully he will have the same amount of success.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
View attachment 5921
My son killed his first deer this afternoon. 12 point counting kickers you can put ring on. Shot him at 150 yards. Pretty impressive for an 8 year old. Dropped him where he stood.
1593799330259.jpeg
We picked up his deer from the taxidermist. He repaired the G3 on the right side. Really pleased with it. My son is one happy little fella today.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I took my almost 7 yr old grandson to hit golf balls and work on short game. He's been hitting with his Dad and me for about 2 years. When they show interest you start at the green and work back...slowly. If they can chip and putt they will always be able to play. After a couple of hours -- including hot dog for lunch -- he says to me: "This was great...can we do this again next week?" I'm still walking on air...

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Grades are finalized for the first quarter, and Lily got the sweep on her first high school grades: all As. Five of her seven classes are honors level and one of her two regular classes is Latin. She's off to a great start in the Biotechnology Academy at Ponte Vedra HS. Including the high school level algebra class she took in eighth grade and a class over the summer (both also As), she has a weighted GPA of 4.33.

She's also on the swim team and putting in regular volunteer hours.

The downside of her success is that I owe her $100. I wonder if she remembers that.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Grades are finalized for the first quarter, and Lily got the sweep on her first high school grades: all As. Five of her seven classes are honors level and one of her two regular classes is Latin. She's off to a great start in the Biotechnology Academy at Ponte Vedra HS. Including the high school level algebra class she took in eighth grade and a class over the summer (both also As), she has a weighted GPA of 4.33.

The downside of her success is that I owe her $100. I wonder if she remembers that.
Bodhisattva, she has a 4.33 GPA, she is going to remember 😃. That is a great start to her year.

• Haha
Reactions: Bodhisattva

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
We just wrapped up fall baseball. My 9 year old held his own playing with 9 - 11 year olds to take home the 1st place trophy for his age group. He anchored down first base most of the season with some outstanding put outs in his best of 2 championship sweep and improved his pitching from summer baseball by almost reaching a high of 3 innings pitched in one game. Also, played soccer and had some outstanding plays as goalie. One game he preserved a 1-0 shutout with a match saving stop on a last minute penalty kick. A couple of games later, he had a soccer match and baseball game on the same night. Once soccer finished, we headed over to baseball where when game was in the 3rd inning. He was called on to close down the bottom of the 5th with the bases loaded, but his team couldn’t get any runs in the top of the 6th and lost 3-2, but his championship was more sweeter a few weeks later. 2D2711C6-21F3-42BF-BD2E-56905507DDBF.jpegF146DB70-7EB9-41C3-9271-FE41377190FB.jpeg998ED5AB-380D-4CC9-9704-30B4CD211116.jpeg70A0E553-A522-4E52-AA0E-87FC4FB838C7.jpegA88C1C70-7BCE-4B35-B4B0-B9CD3F8BDC5D.jpeg71EA4222-0BF6-4654-9303-73E72C4868B1.jpeg

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Try to keep her in the Latin class @Bodhisattva. I was telling my son about Lily taking it and he said that Latin helped him a lot on the English and Reading portions of the ACT. He took four years of it and his last year was AP Latin. It is great that her school offers it. It was always difficult to find Latin teachers who were good at teaching it.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
We just wrapped up fall baseball. My 9 year old held his own playing with 9 - 11 year olds to take home the 1st place trophy for his age group. He anchored down first base most of the season with some outstanding put outs in his best of 2 championship sweep and improved his pitching from summer baseball by almost reaching a high of 3 innings pitched in one game. Also, played soccer and had some outstanding plays as goalie. One game he preserved a 1-0 shutout with a match saving stop on a last minute penalty kick. A couple of games later, he had a soccer match and baseball game on the same night. Once soccer finished, we headed over to baseball where when game was in the 3rd inning. He was called on to close down the bottom of the 5th with the bases loaded, but his team couldn’t get any runs in the top of the 6th and lost 3-2, but his championship was more sweeter a few weeks later. View attachment 12141View attachment 12142View attachment 12144View attachment 12145View attachment 12147View attachment 12146
Man ya'll are staying busy Vinny. Tell him good job.

Reactions: Bazza

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I took my almost 7 yr old grandson to hit golf balls and work on short game. He's been hitting with his Dad and me for about 2 years. When they show interest you start at the green and work back...slowly. If they can chip and putt they will always be able to play. After a couple of hours -- including hot dog for lunch -- he says to me: "This was great...can we do this again next week?" I'm still walking on air...
We go 2-3x per month...therapy for me and fun for him!!

Reactions: Bazza

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
My older daughter is a HS freshman and ran cross country this year. She was consistently the #3 girl on her varsity team which qualified for and ran in the state championship meet this past weekend for first time in 5 years. She finished about in the middle of the overall standings in her classification which was a huge accomplishment and finished among the top 25 9th graders in the varsity championship.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.