Brag On Your Kid(s) - Page 19
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9121314151617181920 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

Re: Brag On Your Kid(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    My niece, a USF marine biology grad, has accepted a full time Park Ranger and Aquarist position at Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve (Ponte Vedra Beach, FL) !

Hey, that's my new stomping grounds. Congrats to your niece! Sounds like a fun career.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

This is not a brag - more like an amusement. Lily started 8th grade last week, and camps for the various fall/winter sports just started. Because we moved here after school had started last October, Lily missed out on a lot of sports opportunities during 7th grade. Well, she is coming back with a vengeance. After school today she went to two hours of volleyball training, then 90 minutes of swim camp, and finally an hour of basketball camp. I told her she doesn't have to do everything at one time, but she insists on going for it. As long as it doesn't devolve into a "hold my beer" episode, I guess it's ok.
    Last edited by Bodhisattva; August 20th, 2019 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typo
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

My daughter just started a new position teaching 3rd grade at Rogers in Greenhill, AL. She had taught 4th grade for 10 years in Tuscumbia. This move puts her closer to her home in Killen. She's also coaching XC. She loves to run. She's really popular with the kids and parents.

The first quarter of 8th grade ended last Friday and grades were just finalized. Lily got As in all seven classes. Best of all, her honors Algebra grade counts for high school. I'm so glad she got my smarts and didn't inherit my wife's dummy genes.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The first quarter of 8th grade ended last Friday and grades were just finalized. Lily got As in all seven classes. Best of all, her honors Algebra grade counts for high school. I'm so glad she got my smarts and didn't inherit my wife's dummy genes.
    That is fantastic, Bodhi! <huge round of applause>

Math was the only subject I CLEPed when I went to college. 9 credits!

I really do not even like math.
    "Old dog - new tricks"

That is fantastic, Bodhi! <huge round of applause>

Math was the only subject I CLEPed when I went to college. 9 credits!

I really do not even like math.
    I was never fond of math, either. Nevertheless, when I took the UA entrance exams, I scored highly enough both in English and math that I got skipped over both English Composition and college algebra, both normally required for freshmen. Instead of comp, they placed me in American Lit. I had an eccentric professor who instead had us study the Odyssey and Iliad. Go figure. In math, they placed me in numbers theory - functions and limits. All in all, it was a pretty wasted summer. Except, I guess I learned some interesting things in functions and limits, not that they're that much use to a lawyer...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I was never fond of math, either. Nevertheless, when I took the UA entrance exams, I scored highly enough both in English and math that I got skipped over both English Composition and college algebra, both normally required for freshmen. Instead of comp, they placed me in American Lit. I had an eccentric professor who instead had us study the Odyssey and Iliad. Go figure. In math, they placed me in numbers theory - functions and limits. All in all, it was a pretty wasted summer. Except, I guess I learned some interesting things in functions and limits, not that they're that much use to a lawyer...
    Good story!

In high school we were required to take a foreign language. I decided on German. This was in Norfolk. Well, Mom remarried and we ended up re-locating to Florida right in the middle of 10th grade - and they didn't offer German down here (surprising, I know!) - so I switched over to Latin. The first year we learned all about the language itself. The second year guess what......we read, studied, and discussed The Odyssey and The Iliad. Our teacher also taught Chemistry. He was smart as a whip. A Duke grad. Rode a motorcycle and had a handlebar mustache, that he would pull on from time to time while lecturing. He did a great job with the Latin class and I really enjoyed how we broke down and discussed Homer's masterpieces.

Later on in college I was trying to get some hours so took two English lit classes which were also fantastic. One was all science fiction novels.

To heck with that boring math stuff....I like reading!
    "Old dog - new tricks"

My nephew and his family....lol......

"Old dog - new tricks"

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Raising them right ... except for that Cubs shirt. That little guy is intense.

I bet they're all wearing jorts.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

Forgot to mention that Lily got elected to student council. When she was preparing her speech, I suggested that she promise everyone As in every class and free lunch (while making the richest of kids pay for it). Lily responded that she wouldn't be given that authority, that no one would be gullible enough to believe she be given that authority, and that the whole concept of such giveaways is just dumb. I said, "You'd be surprised. Plenty of adults fall for that kind of stuff every election cycle."
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Forgot to mention that Lily got elected to student council. When she was preparing her speech, I suggested that she promise everyone As in every class and free lunch (while making the richest of kids pay for it). Lily responded that she wouldn't be given that authority, that no one would be gullible enough to believe she be given that authority, and that the whole concept of such giveaways is just dumb. I said, "You'd be surprised. Plenty of adults fall for that kind of stuff every election cycle."
    Bringing her up right, Dad!
    "Old dog - new tricks"

Bringing her up right, Dad!
    Well, I was hoping she would directly respond using Robert Heinlein's "TANSTAAFL," but she hasn't yet expressed interest in reading The Moon is a Harsh Mistress yet. Clearly I still have work to do.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)