Brag On Your Kid(s) - Page 2
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Catfish's Avatar

Re: Brag On You Kid(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    My son who's in fifth is thinking of taking up drums. My wife won't get any rest if he does that!
    We got Little Catfish a really nice small set from a friend's son who was upgrading. We figured he'd love it and he was really excited about getting it. He lost interest after about a week, though.
    "...Defense shut 'em down! Offense make plays! Hey, let's go be champions, boys!"- Greg McElroy

Suspended

That's good stuff man. I didn't know UAB did something like that. My daughter plays in concert and symphonic band and still runs circles around the older kids. I'm not surprised though.

I love when kids take a liking after parents. I'm not sure you were in band in school, but I went against the grain in my high school and stuck with it and got me a scholarship out of it.

My son who's in fifth is thinking of taking up drums. My wife won't get any rest if he does that!

Sent from my iPhone
    I was a trombone player myself. Million Dollar Band 1986-1989. Section Leader (1989). Good times for sure.

My younger son (12 in less than 2 weeks) has taken up band in middle school as well. He's 4th chair out of 21 trumpets in the beginner band. He's his own guy so he went against the trombone grain, which is fine by me.

Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    I was a trombone player myself. Million Dollar Band 1986-1989. Section Leader (1989). Good times for sure.

My younger son (12 in less than 2 weeks) has taken up band in middle school as well. He's 4th chair out of 21 trumpets in the beginner band. He's his own guy so he went against the trombone grain, which is fine by me.
    I wish I had gone to Alabama. Had a chance but declined because of money. Auburn wanted me but I was never going. Winded up at Alabama State an even worse decision.

Trumpet was my first decision and winded up in low brass on tuba/sousaphone. Then in high school, took up drums and took off from there.

Sent from my iPhone

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

I wish I had gone to Alabama. Had a chance but declined because of money. Auburn wanted me but I was never going. Winded up at Alabama State an even worse decision.

Trumpet was my first decision and winded up in low brass on tuba/sousaphone. Then in high school, took up drums and took off from there.

Sent from my iPhone
    Like you, I had a chance to go to Bama as well, but instead I stayed home and went to South Alabama. I eventually met my wife there, so no regrets. I have a great family and in the end, that's all that matters.

Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    Like you, I had a chance to go to Bama as well, but instead I stayed home and went to South Alabama. I eventually met my wife there, so no regrets. I have a great family and in the end, that's all that matters.
    Yep, I was excited when I got the acceptance letter, but knew there was a small window for my chance to go. Well, somehow I winded up in Pensacola.

Sent from my iPhone

BamaNation All-SEC Bamafaninco1's Avatar

I have 3 sons, all college graduates:
    32 year old is a PhD student at UNO, 28 year old does medical billing and coding, and the 24 year old is a PhD student at Cornell in chemistry. None were ever arrested, suspended or as far as I know did anything against the law other than the driving to fast thing.

BamaNation All-American bama_wayne1's Avatar

I have three sons. #1 son served in Iraq and is now a civilian crew chief for an Air Force Helicopter test pilot. #2 son served in Iraq and is a driller of the coast of Malaysia. Both have two children each and wonderful wives. #3 is a sophomore in high school (there is a 13 year gap) and he is in a gifted program. He is very talented in math. I am proud of the lot of them.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar

One girl age 3; one girl age 5

Not enough room to type, and I honestly don't even know where to start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got two boys. The oldest is 4 & the young one 7 months. My oldest is a kind young man. He is helpful with his baby brother, & even wants to help feed him. He came to me a few months ago and told me he wanted a job to earn money, so now he's excited about his chores and earning money. The kid does math in his head, I don't remember being able to do that. Mostly I'm proud that he's honest & a good kid & nice to everyone.
    The baby - I'm happy that he can sit up. And he laughs at everything thanks to his brother.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American BradtheImpaler's Avatar

My oldest is 16. She is a junior in high school and has become obsessed with musical theater. She gets really good grades and is an all around great kid.

My second oldest is 2 1/2. She goes to Montessori school and has been potty trained for nearly half her life. She is also whip smart and makes up adorable little puns such as "Mommy... that would be a Gouda idea," after eating some Gouda cheese.

My third girl is the "alpha-male" of the triplets. She has been walking for about half of her life, but she still craps in her pants. She and her brothers start Montessori in January, so hopefully that will change soon.

My oldest boy - by a minute - is a handsome devil, and is extremely in touch with his emotions; meaning he cries a lot. He also has a hair-trigger gag reflex, so solids are going to be a challenge. Also still craps his pants, but is an angel when it comes to behavior.

The youngest boy is going to drive me to drink. He is also very handsome, but he is also an uncontrollable flirt, and I think we are going to have our hands full when he hits puberty. He is also a climber, and does not seem to care that climbing will result in punishment in "baby jail". Also, still craps his pants.
    "In the second quarter, I saw Torretta look over at me, and he froze for a second. I saw fear."
    John Copeland

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    My oldest (13) is first chair trombone. He's survived 4 challenges thus far this school year. He was selected for UAB Honor Band and placed third chair in the top honor band last week (out of 32 total trombones who tried out). It's great when good things happen for your children because it helps to reinforce the good habits that got 'em there.
    I'm still beaming this morning. My oldest, who is now a 9th grader, tried out for All-state District IV (Jefferson and Shelby Counties) Honor Band yesterday. More than 50 of the best high school trombone players from the area tried out, and he was one of 13 who made it. Given the schools and resources available in this area, this is a big accomplishment for him, especially given all the upper classmen that he had to compete against as well. Thanks for letting me brag a little. He deserves it for all the hard work he put in over the last 6 months to be prepared.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    A houseful of Girls..... Our oldest is a Junior in College -- going to complete her final year in France (Mama's not happy)
    Two in 10th Grade, One in 8th Grade -- all Honor Roll kids -- great job with Grades...
    One of the 10th Graders and the 8th Grader are in their 10th year of Dance.....
    The other 10th Grader plays Guitar, Piano, and her Mother's nerves.....
    All three are in Competition Speech/Forensics -- and after 5 tournaments have brought home a combined 23 trophies......qualifying for state in 10 total events....so far.....
    The 8th Grader has won 5 trophies -- but she's competing against high school kids (9th-12th grade -- first year our school has allowed the 8th graders to compete)

Proudest moment this year? At a Speech Tournament 3 weeks ago -- in Prose/Poetry (one of the events) -- they swept 1st, 2nd and 3rd place out of the 48 competing....

The 8th Grader won first place. Her sisters (who won 2nd and 3rd) were waiting for her at the edge of the stage with the biggest hug ever, and the audience chanting "SISTERS!!"

Very cool!
    Since we are updating

The oldest (now a senior in college, studying in France -- learning to deal with a country that moves at a snail's pace for everything)

Three girls now in High School --

One of the Juniors and the Freshman are now in their 11th year of dance, and teaching this year as well.
    The other Junior and the Freshman are 4.0 for all of High School. The other Junior is still dealing with the B she made in Geometry last year -- BUT, she went to Speech Nationals Last year and finished in the Top 24 in the country at the National Tournament in Chicago (out of 255 kids) -- PLUS you have to be in the Top 5 in your state just to qualify.....
    This year for Speech -- through 7 tournaments -- (this is not a misprint) -- 55 Trophies combined..... (the Freshman has won 27 by herself -- the other two have 14 each.....) - they each compete in 5 events per tournament....
    The Freshman had a "night to remember" in October --winning 1st in 4 separate events (one in Duet Acting with one of her sisters) and 3rd in Duo Performance with the other one of her sisters.....plus winning the Thespian Award for best performance at the Tournament....people still tell me that in 30 years, they'd never seen that happen for one kid, at one tournament, and she's a freshman....

They are gearing up for National Qualifiers taking place in March.....they are practicing hard - very proud.....hopefully good news to share......very soon.

Roll Tide for the "Sisters" --
    Last edited by CajunCrimson; February 1st, 2015 at 12:17 PM.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    Since we are updating

The oldest (now a senior in college, studying in France -- learning to deal with a country that moves at a snail's pace for everything)

Three girls now in High School --

One of the Juniors and the Freshman are now in their 11th year of dance, and teaching this year as well.
    The other Junior and the Freshman are 4.0 for all of High School. The other Junior is still dealing with the B she made in Geometry last year -- BUT, she went to Speech Nationals Last year and finished in the Top 24 in the country at the National Tournament in Chicago (out of 255 kids) -- PLUS you have to be in the Top 5 in your state just to qualify.....
    This year for Speech -- through 7 tournaments -- (this is not a misprint) -- 55 Trophies combined..... (the Freshman has won 27 by herself -- the other two have 14 each.....) - they each compete in 5 events per tournament....
    The Freshman had a "night to remember" in October --winning 1st in 4 separate events (one in Duet Acting with one of her sisters) and 3rd in Duo Performance with the other one of her sisters.....plus winning the Thespian Award for best performance at the Tournament....people still tell me that in 30 years, they'd never seen that happen for one kid, at one tournament, and she's a freshman....

They are gearing up for National Qualifiers taking place in March.....they are practicing hard - very proud.....hopefully good news to share......very soon.

Roll Tide for the "Sisters" --
    Impressive