Brag On Your Kid(s)

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
My daughter got a 28 on the ACT, which will get her enough scholarship money to give us a decent shot at getting her through school without going into the boys' college funds. We've enrolled her in a ACT prep course so we can try to get the score up to at least a 30, which would at least double the scholarship.

The only downside is that she's kind of leaning towards Auburn.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Wow! That is truly awesome. I’ll take the mountains over the beach any day. I checked the area on the map and they are very close to Italy, Switzerland, Monaco, French Riviera and not too far from Germany, Austria, or Spain. We’re I you, I’d visit as often as I could afford. But then I’ve never been to Europe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I do intend to visit often, probably in the "shoulder season," when the restaurant is closed. As much time as I've spent in the Austrian, Swiss and German alps, I've never visited the French alps, probably in part because I'm not fluent in French...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I do intend to visit often, probably in the "shoulder season," when the restaurant is closed. As much time as I've spent in the Austrian, Swiss and German alps, I've never visited the French alps, probably in part because I'm not fluent in French...
I'm going to assume the month of July is not part of the 'shoulder season' but that's when the Tour De France takes place and would be a great time to visit if you enjoy that kind of event (cycling). It's on my bucket list to attend one year.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm going to assume the month of July is not part of the 'shoulder season' but that's when the Tour De France takes place and would be a great time to visit if you enjoy that kind of event (cycling). It's on my bucket list to attend one year.
Actually, I was an avid cyclist for many years. I was a daily commuter, even for the first 20 years I lived on the mountain. Looking at the 2018 route, the Tour comes very close to them. They bought their "rust bucket," as Rachel calls it, in Albertville. It takes them less than an hour to Albertville. It would take over two hours and a half to get to le Alpe D'Huez, since they'd have to drive to Albertville, then detour south down through Grenoble and then east over to D'Huez. D'Huez would be the stage I'd want to see.

However, they have two seasons. The longer one is ski season, beginning around Thanksgiving and ending in April. Spring shoulder is then until the official summer opening on July 1. The former owners opened on June 15, and they would like to also. However, closings over there don't move as fast as here. The notaires are dragging their feet, so 7/1 is probably the opening. They will probably come back here for our family week at VA Beach ind mid-late June. Coming when they don't have free time wouldn't be that much fun...

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
My son finished his high school track and field career today with a personal best in the 1600 meters of 4:32.28. He had to come in the top 4 to move on to state. He was holding third all the way up to about 70 meters from the finish line. Two guys were just sitting behind him and passed him. He gave it all he had, he just got beat and we are very proud of him. It was tough because that was the last time I will be able to coach him. It has been a fun year watching him run.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
My daughter got a 28 on the ACT, which will get her enough scholarship money to give us a decent shot at getting her through school without going into the boys' college funds. We've enrolled her in a ACT prep course so we can try to get the score up to at least a 30, which would at least double the scholarship.

The only downside is that she's kind of leaning towards Auburn.
These prep courses really do help. Good luck to her.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
My son graduated from high school last night and today we found out that he gets to compete in the 1600 meter run at the state championship. We thought he may get a chance so he has kept running.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Bravo to Connor! Please keep us posted with the outcome, Con....
I definitely will. He has a chance to finish in the top 8 which would get him a medal and a chance to stand on the podium. We are in the large school classification this year, so the competition will be super tough.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Well my child ran in the state championship tonight in the 1600 meters. He placed 11th and he ran a 4:33. He has never been in that big of a meet so he was nervous entire day. He ran extremely well, those other guys were just that good.

The guy who was winning the race just fell out with about 20 meters to go. He was on pace to run about a 4:10 or so. The heat just wiped the boy out. By the time he was able to get back up three other guys passed him. Boy it was hot out there today though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Sadie’s eval from these past two seasons. Pretty much what we expected. Hard nosed, focused and coachable. Keeper standout. Underpowered though, but that’s teachable and will be an area of focus for her and me over the course of the summer.

Full competitive now. No more academy. Tryouts were last week. Unfortunately didn’t have enough show in her age group to field two teams. They had to cut around 8. She performed well, especially in goal. She was beaming after the first session. We got the invite within an hour of the end of the first session.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
We dropped our son off in Tuscaloosa yesterday and helped him get settled in. I am going to tell you, that was one of the most difficult but exciting things we have had to do. It is hard coming home and him not being here, but we know that he is going to love going to school at the University.

They did a great job of getting his stuff out of the car and placing it in his room. They also have a lot for them to do already. It was a much better experience than we were expecting. They really brought their A-game.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
We dropped our son off in Tuscaloosa yesterday and helped him get settled in. I am going to tell you, that was one of the most difficult but exciting things we have had to do. It is hard coming home and him not being here, but we know that he is going to love going to school at the University.

They did a great job of getting his stuff out of the car and placing it in his room. They also have a lot for them to do already. It was a much better experience than we were expecting. They really brought their A-game.
Thanks for the update, Con and congrats again for your son's achievements!

I have a question - who is the "they" you referenced in your post?

Orientation folks?

Please continue to post as things move forward, especially as it relates to your son's experiences in sports.

Thanks!!! ;)

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Thanks for the update, Con and congrats again for your son's achievements!

I have a question - who is the "they" you referenced in your post?

Orientation folks?

Please continue to post as things move forward, especially as it relates to your son's experiences in sports.

Thanks!!! ;)
Yes, the orientation folks. They had a pit crew of people there to unload all of his belongings. They put them in big boxes, put his bike in a bike rack and moved it all to his room. They probably only took about 5 minutes to get all of this done. They also had a bunch of kids there to answer any questions we had. It was extremely organized. I was told horror stories from people we knew who went to other schools like Tennessee, but we had a great experience at Alabama.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
So Sadie suffered her first real injury in game action last night.

Breakaway. Sadie charges, as a keeper should. Next thing we know, she's on the ground clutching her face. Knee to the eye. Looked bad. But she's lucid. No headache, dizziness or nausea. She shrugs it off and finishes the game.

Get her home and get a good look at it. She has a shiner and we're worried about an orbital injury. Ice, Advil and bed.

Wakes up and she's seemingly fine less her cheek. Wife does notice her being a bit quirkier than usual. Uh oh. She insists she's fine and wants to go to school.

School nurse calls around 11. She's not feeling well after working on a PC all morning. Crap. Time for the concussion protocol.

Wife brings her to me in Southside. Doctor and two practitioners have a look. Orbit is fine, but she has a concussion.

Head injuries are so damned insidious.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.