Brag On Your Kid(s) - Page 7
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Re: Brag On Your Kid(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Just played game 6 tonight. Lily had 10 points, 17 rebounds, 8 steals, 2 blocks, and 1 turnover.

The rest of the team collectively had 0 points, 14 rebounds, and 26 turnovers in a 10-35 loss. They are 2-4; don't know how they've won two. Lily is having fun even though the team is a special kind of terrible.
    Lily is a beast. I really like seeing the 17 rebounds. I hate they lost but she put up some good numbers.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tidegrandpa View Post
    I just made reservations in College Station (Aggie Central) for March 7th, my oldest defends her dissertation, hopefully PHD in May.
    Good luck to her. There will be a little stress leading up to that day.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

Just played game 6 tonight. Lily had 10 points, 17 rebounds, 8 steals, 2 blocks, and 1 turnover.

The rest of the team collectively had 0 points, 14 rebounds, and 26 turnovers in a 10-35 loss. They are 2-4; don't know how they've won two. Lily is having fun even though the team is a special kind of terrible.
    Played the last regular season game earlier today. Lily had 12 points and 31 (out of 48 total) rebounds in a 26-28 loss in OT.

The culprit in this game, per usual, was the point guard. In her mind (and with her Dad's very vocal reinforcement), she is the greatest player ever to lay hands on a basketball, and, if only she were allowed to play one-on-five, the team would be undefeated instead of 2-5. Her stat line: 0 points (0-24 FG) and 12 turnovers (including several that lead to gift layups for the opposition). To miss 24 shots in a 30-minute game is perversely impressive.

And still, if Lily hadn't been out of the game with a gusher of a bloody nose for a good portion of the second half, the team might have won.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

Played the last regular season game earlier today. Lily had 12 points and 31 (out of 48 total) rebounds in a 26-28 loss in OT.

The culprit in this game, per usual, was the point guard. In her mind (and with her Dad's very vocal reinforcement), she is the greatest player ever to lay hands on a basketball, and, if only she were allowed to play one-on-five, the team would be undefeated instead of 2-5. Her stat line: 0 points (0-24 FG) and 12 turnovers (including several that lead to gift layups for the opposition). To miss 24 shots in a 30-minute game is perversely impressive.

And still, if Lily hadn't been out of the game with a gusher of a bloody nose for a good portion of the second half, the team might have won.
    Basketball may not be in that girl's future. Hopefully Lily will hang in there. These things have a way of working out eventually.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Own the box.

Just a barner.

There goes Davis!

Quote Originally Posted by Con View Post
    Basketball may not be in that girl's future. Hopefully Lily will hang in there. These things have a way of working out eventually.
    Lily had a great time this season in spite of the team's record. This is her third year of playing, and it all came together for her about mid-season. She had only scored two points the first two seasons; incredibly she was only able to take two or three shots in two years. I was finally able to convince her that if she waits for a teammate to pass her the ball she'll never score. She has to get her opportunities off rebounds. I've worked with her on taking control of the post, getting the rebound, and then making a power move to take a quality shot. Her success encourages her to be even more aggressive, and she's been noticed. The eighth grade coach even came out to see her play the last couple of games. At the end of the year party he told me he wanted to poach Lily from next year's seventh grade team. Lily is walking on air due to the attention.

We'll look to send her to basketball camp this Summer to work on her dribbling and outside game. In the meantime, she's playing volleyball and running track this Spring. Got to keep her busy and away from the gangs.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    Own the box.

So, I'm seeing a jersey tug, a push off, and an illegal elbow. That's a high concentration of thuggishness!

Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

So, I'm seeing a jersey tug, a push off, and an illegal elbow. That's a high concentration of thuggishness!

She's a sweet kid, but I've coached her to be Nick Fairley in the box.
    Just a barner.

There goes Davis!

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

I would like to brag on my kid. But in Maysville it would go like this: " Junior is doing real good. He may get out early if they count his good time. He may make Trusty if he keeps doing good". Real proud of the young fella. Hope they fix his teeth while he's in there!
    Last edited by seebell; March 21st, 2018 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    Own the box.

Dang AUDub. She looks like she is recovering a fumble. If some football players would be that aggressive there would not be as many turnovers in a game.

Lily had a great time this season in spite of the team's record. This is her third year of playing, and it all came together for her about mid-season. She had only scored two points the first two seasons; incredibly she was only able to take two or three shots in two years. I was finally able to convince her that if she waits for a teammate to pass her the ball she'll never score. She has to get her opportunities off rebounds. I've worked with her on taking control of the post, getting the rebound, and then making a power move to take a quality shot. Her success encourages her to be even more aggressive, and she's been noticed. The eighth grade coach even came out to see her play the last couple of games. At the end of the year party he told me he wanted to poach Lily from next year's seventh grade team. Lily is walking on air due to the attention.

We'll look to send her to basketball camp this Summer to work on her dribbling and outside game. In the meantime, she's playing volleyball and running track this Spring. Got to keep her busy and away from the gangs.
    One of the most satisfying thing about coaching is watching the light come on. Especially when it is your own kid.

Well, I am going to give you an update on my child's college decision. He was wait listed for Rice University so he has decided to attend Alabama. Florida gave him half tuition, but Alabama is going to give him full tuition and a little extra from the engineering department.

He told us the other day that he was finally at peace because of waiting around for these colleges to let him know about accepting him or not. He is really getting excited about attending the University now. We are too. Him moving to Houston was going to be a long trip.

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Con View Post
    Well, I am going to give you an update on my child's college decision. He was wait listed for Rice University so he has decided to attend Alabama. Florida gave him half tuition, but Alabama is going to give him full tuition and a little extra from the engineering department.

He told us the other day that he was finally at peace because of waiting around for these colleges to let him know about accepting him or not. He is really getting excited about attending the University now. We are too. Him moving to Houston was going to be a long trip.
    Congratulations on your son’s decision. Tell him he needs to establish and develop a relationship with Dr. Karr, the Dean of the College of Engineering.

Dr. Karr is like no other academic I’ve ever met. Looks and sounds like a drill sergeant, and can sometimes act like it. He’s also one of the the most passionate people you’ll ever find about the University of Alabama, and a HUGE advocate to have in your corner.

Properly nurtured, it could be a life-changing contact.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.