Brag On Your Kid(s)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
So Sadie suffered her first real injury in game action last night.

Breakaway. Sadie charges, as a keeper should. Next thing we know, she's on the ground clutching her face. Knee to the eye. Looked bad. But she's lucid. No headache, dizziness or nausea. She shrugs it off and finishes the game.

Get her home and get a good look at it. She has a shiner and we're worried about an orbital injury. Ice, Advil and bed.

Wakes up and she's seemingly fine less her cheek. Wife does notice her being a bit quirkier than usual. Uh oh. She insists she's fine and wants to go to school.

School nurse calls around 11. She's not feeling well after working on a PC all morning. Crap. Time for the concussion protocol.

Wife brings her to me in Southside. Doctor and two practitioners have a look. Orbit is fine, but she has a concussion.

Head injuries are so damned insidious.
dang. i hope she recovers well and is able to get back on the field when she's ready.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Breakaway. Sadie charges, as a keeper should. Next thing we know, she's on the ground clutching her face. Knee to the eye. Looked bad. But she's lucid. No headache, dizziness or nausea. She shrugs it off and finishes the game.

Get her home and get a good look at it. She has a shiner and we're worried about an orbital injury. Ice, Advil and bed.

Wakes up and she's seemingly fine less her cheek. Wife does notice her being a bit quirkier than usual. Uh oh. She insists she's fine and wants to go to school.

School nurse calls around 11. She's not feeling well after working on a PC all morning. Crap. Time for the concussion protocol.

Wife brings her to me in Southside. Doctor and two practitioners have a look. Orbit is fine, but she has a concussion.

Glad you guys were/are on top of it. Hope she has a speedy and full recovery.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Sounds eerily familiar. My worst one was with my head landing outside the box, pole vaulting. Back then, the box was filled with sawdust. I can only describe it as a fugue state. I was conscious, walking talking, but everyone knew something was wrong with me. I actually rode my bike over to my sister's apartment and they asked me what was wrong. I converted the next morning in homeroom and knew I'd been walking around semi-conscious...

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I'm just gobsmacked by how little indication there was. A dulll ache, a little dizziness or sensitivity to light, would have had me taking her last night. There was none of that, and no obvious behavioral changes until today.
I hate to hear this AUDub. 10-12 years ago it may have not even shown up a day after since she probably wouldn't have even had a PC to work on at school. I hope she gets better soon.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Sounds eerily familiar. My worst one was with my head landing outside the box, pole vaulting. Back then, the box was filled with sawdust. I can only describe it as a fugue state. I was conscious, walking talking, but everyone knew something was wrong with me. I actually rode my bike over to my sister's apartment and they asked me what was wrong. I converted the next morning in homeroom and knew I'd been walking around semi-conscious...
Even with today's safety standards the Pole Vault is scary to watch when the high school kids get higher. It is kind of funny when they are only trying to clear 6-0 feet though.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Even with today's safety standards the Pole Vault is scary to watch when the high school kids get higher. It is kind of funny when they are only trying to clear 6-0 feet though.
I hate to admit it, but it was only about 6'6" when I missed. We had rigid aluminum poles...

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I hate to admit it, but it was only about 6'6" when I missed. We had rigid aluminum poles...
I would place some of my track kids in the decathlon and most of the guys in the decathlon had never picked up a pole until the day of the decathlon. I looked forward to the decathlon because the pole vault produced some of the funniest moments of the track season watching those guys try to clear any height at all.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I would place some of my track kids in the decathlon and most of the guys in the decathlon had never picked up a pole until the day of the decathlon. I looked forward to the decathlon because the pole vault produced some of the funniest moments of the track season watching those guys try to clear any height at all.
I'm sure... :D

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I hate to hear this AUDub. 10-12 years ago it may have not even shown up a day after since she probably wouldn't have even had a PC to work on at school. I hope she gets better soon.
We're keeping her out of school tomorrow. Doctor was pretty funny about it.

Me: "Should we keep her at home?"

Doc: "Does she have any tests?"

Sadie: "Two!"

Doc: "Here's your excuse."

lol

She'll be fine. It's relatively light, so we expect her to be medically cleared by her doctor Tuesday if her symptoms subside. After that, we have the soccer club's concussion protocol to clear and she'll be back on the field soon.

Bonus injury photo bfrom last night. It swelled up a bit today.

Last edited:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
My daughter got a 28 on the ACT, which will get her enough scholarship money to give us a decent shot at getting her through school without going into the boys' college funds. We've enrolled her in a ACT prep course so we can try to get the score up to at least a 30, which would at least double the scholarship.

The only downside is that she's kind of leaning towards Auburn.
Followup--She did get a 30 on the ACT! Now, as she has put it, "the name of the game is getting the degree without going into debt." She's been accepted to Bama already, and has been offered a Presidential scholarship. Haven't heard from Auburn, as they don't send out acceptance letters until October or so. Cate wondered why; I explained that it took them that long to figure out how to load up the printer with fresh crayons.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: Brag On You Kid(s)

My 8 yr old is being evaluated for advanced placement classes. He had to take an IQ test a while back as part of the evaluation. It came back today and he has a composite score of 137. He got it from his mama. My IQ is roughly 117. LOL! I'm the knuckle dragger of the family. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.