Brag On Your Kid(s)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I was never fond of math, either. Nevertheless, when I took the UA entrance exams, I scored highly enough both in English and math that I got skipped over both English Composition and college algebra, both normally required for freshmen. Instead of comp, they placed me in American Lit. I had an eccentric professor who instead had us study the Odyssey and Iliad. Go figure. In math, they placed me in numbers theory - functions and limits. All in all, it was a pretty wasted summer. Except, I guess I learned some interesting things in functions and limits, not that they're that much use to a lawyer...
Good story!

In high school we were required to take a foreign language. I decided on German. This was in Norfolk. Well, Mom remarried and we ended up re-locating to Florida right in the middle of 10th grade - and they didn't offer German down here (surprising, I know!) - so I switched over to Latin. The first year we learned all about the language itself. The second year guess what......we read, studied, and discussed The Odyssey and The Iliad. Our teacher also taught Chemistry. He was smart as a whip. A Duke grad. Rode a motorcycle and had a handlebar mustache, that he would pull on from time to time while lecturing. He did a great job with the Latin class and I really enjoyed how we broke down and discussed Homer's masterpieces.

Later on in college I was trying to get some hours so took two English lit classes which were also fantastic. One was all science fiction novels.

To heck with that boring math stuff....I like reading! :)

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Forgot to mention that Lily got elected to student council. When she was preparing her speech, I suggested that she promise everyone As in every class and free lunch (while making the richest of kids pay for it). Lily responded that she wouldn't be given that authority, that no one would be gullible enough to believe she be given that authority, and that the whole concept of such giveaways is just dumb. I said, "You'd be surprised. Plenty of adults fall for that kind of stuff every election cycle." ;)

Reactions: Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Forgot to mention that Lily got elected to student council. When she was preparing her speech, I suggested that she promise everyone As in every class and free lunch (while making the richest of kids pay for it). Lily responded that she wouldn't be given that authority, that no one would be gullible enough to believe she be given that authority, and that the whole concept of such giveaways is just dumb. I said, "You'd be surprised. Plenty of adults fall for that kind of stuff every election cycle." ;)
Bringing her up right, Dad! :p

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I suppose most have heard the story of how my daughter threw over her career as a government contract lawyer and bought a restaurant in the French Alps with her German husband. She said that she sometimes feels like an imposter. This morning she made this post on Facebook:

I had sort of a watershed moment today. I struggle a bit with feeling like an imposter all the time. But today a man walked up to the counter to pay and Dominik asked him if everything was okay. He answered, “Impeccable!” Then he looked me in the eye and said, “Merci, chef.” ☺
Another beautiful day. ❤

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Addison made it official yesterday...i gotta start wearing arnge n blue apparel. Signed with UT Martin to play baseball. Guess i'll be a Skyhawk for a few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bazza and Con

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Looks like my niece is getting some fire fighting skills now! -

"Obtained a new certificate and amazing skill! I had an absolute blast and, second to fish/minerals/insects/fungi/wildflowers/invasive plants, wildland firefighting is a new passion that I can’t wait to gain more experience doing."

Reactions: Con

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Looks like my niece is getting some fire fighting skills now! -

"Obtained a new certificate and amazing skill! I had an absolute blast and, second to fish/minerals/insects/fungi/wildflowers/invasive plants, wildland firefighting is a new passion that I can’t wait to gain more experience doing."

Ya know, fire fighting would be more effective if one didn't take pictures and hosed down the flames instead.

• Haha

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Good story!

In high school we were required to take a foreign language. I decided on German. This was in Norfolk. Well, Mom remarried and we ended up re-locating to Florida right in the middle of 10th grade - and they didn't offer German down here (surprising, I know!) - so I switched over to Latin. The first year we learned all about the language itself. The second year guess what......we read, studied, and discussed The Odyssey and The Iliad. Our teacher also taught Chemistry. He was smart as a whip. A Duke grad. Rode a motorcycle and had a handlebar mustache, that he would pull on from time to time while lecturing. He did a great job with the Latin class and I really enjoyed how we broke down and discussed Homer's masterpieces.

Later on in college I was trying to get some hours so took two English lit classes which were also fantastic. One was all science fiction novels.

To heck with that boring math stuff....I like reading! :)
Man Bazza my son took four years of Latin and loved it. I tried to do it with him, but I couldn't keep up with what they were doing in class everyday.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I really don't know where to post this or if I even should, so I came to this thread. My son is looking for a computer science internship this summer and I just thought I would throw this out there to see if any of you knew anyone out there who offers internships to college kids. He has applied to a bunch of different places and he really isn't too concerned with where the location is. He just wants an internship to help build a resume and get some much needed experience in the field. Any direction would be much appreciated.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Well the University finally got my son. He made a B+ in some sort of Computer Science class so it brought his GPA down to a 3.995. He was close to keeping his 4.0. They do the A+, A, A- kind of scale now so his other grades kept the GPA high. I don't know when they started that grading scale. I don't feel like they did it when I was in school there in the early 90's.

• Sad

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.