Class 7A football

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I have heard the AHSAA is seriously considering going to seven classes next year by splitting class 6A in half. I assume this would jut be for football.

Does anyone know anything more about this? How would the playoffs for the top two classes work with only 32 teams in each class? Would this be a good idea and what is the motivation behind it?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
It has been talked about inside the AHSAA for at least the last re-classification or two. It is gaining traction, but still not sure of they'll pull the trigger this year or not. They can either split 7A and 6A into 32 teams each, or just take the top 32 and re-class the rest of the teams. Honestly I think they should just split the top 32 and leave 6A with 32 so the smaller schools do not suffer.

January 22nd is when they will do the re-classification and decide on this. Most of this is generally done by now but the AISA (private school division) petitioned the AHSAA to postpone the meeting so the AHSAA can try and help the AISA get into the NFHS (National Federation of High School Associations) so they can play out of state teams in Florida, Georgia, etc. but don't worry you wont see the AHSAA vs. AISA any time soon. I'm surprised the AHSAA even agreed to do it.

So it's far from a done deal on the new 7A class but it is not guaranteed it wont happen either. Will be a pretty important meeting IMHO.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I hope they do it. As of the LAST re-class Hoover was the biggest at over 1,900 students. The smallest 6A school had only 732. Almost 3x as less.

So yes I think it is needed. Just too big of a drop off from top to bottom. Plus if you cut them in half you can still staff regions with both classes and travel still wouldn't be too bad. Also the cutoff at 2 would be around 990-1,900 so that does look better than 730-1,900.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
That's why I said "as of the last re-class"

Plus the AHSAA doesn't go by total students. They only go by 10-12 grade students and 9th grade holdbacks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.