*** CB Tony Brown Commits to Alabama ***

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Re: CB Tony Brown commits to Bama!!! RTR!!

i would love to see them on the field together but i would also love to see them running on some of the relay teams for the track team as well
I was thinking the same thing, maybe he could talk up Bama track to Humphrey. As LSU traditionally has a very strong track team, this is a big pick up for that sport as well.

chains

Scout Team
Jun 12, 2009
Tony Brown

Tony is an EE. I think this means he is eligible to run track this spring. Anyone know for sure.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Re: Tony Brown

FWIW, I kind of doubt that Brown does a lot with track at Alabama. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'll eat my crow if it works out otherwise in time, but in my eyes if he were really serious about running track then he would have gone to LSU.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

FWIW, I kind of doubt that Brown does a lot with track at Alabama. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'll eat my crow if it works out otherwise in time, but in my eyes if he were really serious about running track then he would have gone to LSU.
well, I hope it works well for him, and Im glad that we have a two sport athelete to show other potential recruits.

what about humphrey? He's serious about track, right?

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Considering he is training with the track team right now. you are already wrong

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I just don't get or agree with that. The athletic department is well funded, and Alabama has had some success in track in the past. With Brown coming in, and possibly Humphrey, I'd think there could be renewed focus.

But, let's not fool ourselves. These kids know their best shot at millions would be in the NFL, and it would be weird and foolish to choose a school because one track program is a little better developed than another. But, if Alabama loses out on Humphrey and it actually has something to do with track, considering they've done things like improve the golfing facilities (which it's hard to imagine helps land recruits, although football paid for it), may be the track program should be a priority.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

I just don't get or agree with that. The athletic department is well funded, and Alabama has had some success in track in the past. With Brown coming in, and possibly Humphrey, I'd think there could be renewed focus.

But, let's not fool ourselves. These kids know their best shot at millions would be in the NFL, and it would be weird and foolish to choose a school because one track program is a little better developed than another. But, if Alabama loses out on Humphrey and it actually has something to do with track, considering they've done things like improve the golfing facilities (which it's hard to imagine helps land recruits, although football paid for it), may be the track program should be a priority.
I certainly don't mean to denigrate the Alabama track program, mind you, but I do think it's a fair statement to say that it (traditionally, at least) isn't near the level of what you find at LSU.

My greater point, though, is just that Brown is a football player who also runs track, not the other way around. At some point -- and I expect rather soon if he has fairly immediate success on the gridiron -- the desire for NFL money will just swamp out track entirely for him. The same almost certainly goes for Humphrey too, though in fairness he does seem to be more committed to running track than Brown.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham

I believe the Jerry Pate Center was funded by it's own fundraising.

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.

I certainly don't mean to denigrate the Alabama track program, mind you, but I do think it's a fair statement to say that it (traditionally, at least) isn't near the level of what you find at LSU.

My greater point, though, is just that Brown is a football player who also runs track, not the other way around. At some point -- and I expect rather soon if he has fairly immediate success on the gridiron -- the desire for NFL money will just swamp out track entirely for him. The same almost certainly goes for Humphrey too, though in fairness he does seem to be more committed to running track than Brown.
Do you consider Humphrey the same as Brown?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Do you consider Humphrey the same as Brown?
Humphrey seems to be more invested in track than Tony Brown, but at the end of the day I think it's the same result. If Humphrey comes in and plays relatively well early, and suddenly he finds himself 18-24 months away from a realistic shot at something like a 4-year, 17 million dollar NFL contract, do you think he's really going to be thinking about track? I don't.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

I think it would be very difficult for 2 true freshman to earn starting CB roles in SAban's complex defense. Maybe a star or money position, but very doubtful at least starting out. Maybe by the end of the year. I do think we have talented CB's on our roster and no cornerback, no matter how talented, looks good their first year playing. Dre K and Dee M. looked bad thier first years playing too. Sylve, Jackson, Cyrus, M. Smith, and Geno Smith all got playing time this year. I expect they all will be much better next year. Not to mention Anthony Averett was able to learn and watch. Having said that, I hope we get Humphrey.
Isn't Tony Brown a better track prospect than Humphrey? Tony wants to run for the Olympics and he referenced a rising track program at Bama. 2 stud track stars can really boost the program. The track coach owes a lot to Saban.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.