JessN: Sugar Bowl wrap-up: What will this game mean for Alabama’s future?

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Sugar Bowl wrap-up: What will this game mean for Alabama’s future?
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
January 3rd, 2014 01:15 AM

. By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Jan. 3, 2014   By the time Oklahoma recovered the final kickoff – a so-bad-it-was-funny moment that served as the perfect capper to the 2014 Sugar Bowl – the time for mulling over what might have been was long gone.   For the second time in six years, Alabama […]

Read More Here

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Beautiful Jess and spot on. I don't even like hinting at it but since you used Monte Kiffin in your article I'll say it. If we don't change our defensive approach whether it be scheme, personnel or both. Saban could find himself being left behind in the new world of college football. Because the rules aren't going to be changed to push more competitive balance back to the defense. The rules will continue to change to encourage scoring. So it's time to adapt or get left behind.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Excellent point about Stanford - they may be tough and hardnosed (and they are!), but schematically they are doing something very different from us. Our fans ought to take note.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Great write up. Thank you for all the detailed information. This season has been filled with crazy things...suspensions, injuries, distractions, lack of ball security, excessive flags..etc.

We definitely need to figure something out on defense for next season. We will see this offense used on us a lot.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
2. Change in defensive scheme could (should) start with the OLBs. One of the hallmarks of Saban’s defensive alignment is having an outside linebacker (the Jack position) that can double as a defensive end. As the seasons have gone on, though, the philosophy has led to a creeping drift in Alabama’s defensive front to the point that Alabama almost runs a 5-2. Adrian Hubbard played OLB at 6’7”, 265 pounds, making him larger than several defensive tackles Alabama faced this year. But the bigger change has come at the strongside linebacker position, where SLB Denzel Devall was listed at 6’2”, 250, but appeared to be bigger than that. Compare Devall with Nick Saban’s first two strongside linebackers, Eryk Anders and Cory Reamer. Anders went 6’2”, 230 on days the pizza guy visited his house; Reamer was even smaller. And it gets even more dramatic when you compare Anders and Reamer to Xzavier Dickson (6’4”, 268), who was suspended for the Oklahoma game. If Alabama wants to defend tempo offenses, either the ends are going to have to get smaller, or lose some of their coverage assignments. None of Alabama’s outside linebackers ever looked comfortable in coverage in 2013. Against Oklahoma, they were flat-out abused.
Spot on. This has made us look slow all year against faster teams. We simply have to play smaller faster guys at linebacker and perhaps guys like Hubbard and Devall on the end at times. At times we look like a slow Big10 team with the bigs at OLB. We simply don't have the speed to cover the field when playing that lineup against faster/spread teams. It has been very frustrating to watch teams run right by them. It's not about execution when you simply can't run fast enough to be able to catch a guy, even when you seem to have the angle.

whatsamatta U

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Athens, AL
Good write up Jess. Looks like you must have got started on it in the first half, that was quick. It does seem to me that the coaches devise a game plan and don't make adjustments until half time. Are our schemes so complicated that the coaches need the extra time to explain everything? I also think the schemes on the DL will have to be changed to keep up with the HUNH offenses.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Good write up Jess. Looks like you must have got started on it in the first half, that was quick. It does seem to me that the coaches devise a game plan and don't make adjustments until half time. Are our schemes so complicated that the coaches need the extra time to explain everything? I also think the schemes on the DL will have to be changed to keep up with the HUNH offenses.
The spread/HUNH are very simplistic offenses that are fluid and adjustments can be made immediately. CNS's defense is going to have to get simpler in order to make changes at the same pace. If not we're going to be left in the dust.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Great article and you pointed out something obvious that really bothers me. I don't understand how the coaches can bench Drake for ball security issues, when all Yeldon does is fumble it seems at every crucial moment. If you're going to bench one for it, bench both. If Yeldon was over on the sidelines with Drake tonight, he can't fumble that ball while Bama is driving, and well on their way to score points.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I was wondering what was up with the playcalling right before Henry's screen TD. Completely mind boggling. I can only assume they thought they could take pressure off AJ...

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Coach Bryant recognized when the game was evolving past his scheme. In my mind, what made him the greatest was that he was able to adapt and overcome when almost all others would have faded. Coach Saban has an incredible opportunity here. We'll see.

Either way, I love my Crimson Tide. And I'm proud not only of what we've been able to achieve, but also of what we continue to achieve and what we'll surely achieve in seasons to come.

Roll Bama Roll.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Believe it or not, I waited until after the game. I could have written it at halftime, though.

I thought the attitude was better than the Utah loss, but that's like saying I'd rather have diarrhea than throw up. Spring practice is going to be interesting.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Good write up, Jess, but with all due respect Oklahoma was and is not an inferior opponent. My only comment prior to this game was that OU had a whole lot more team speed than us and it showed last night. CNS has a bunch of problem areas to work on prior to next season. If the staff doesn't find an answer for the HUNH next year could be disastrous.

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
Great summary as always. Thanks for this and all the great analysis you provide year-in and year-out. The last 5 or 6 years have been a golden age for Bama football, but it does seem to have grown stale in a few areas. I think Coach Saban and the returning talent have enough fight and pride to make the kinds of changes you're describing and continue this great roll for several more years. Let's all catch our breath and then look forward to another fabulous recruiting class next month and another championship run next fall!!

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Looked like OU ran the same play Malzahn ran all night. Snap - ball is held out at intersection point of 3 players - the 3 guys split in 3 directions, one guy with the ball. It looks like particle physics. It is perfect for HUNH because it is easy to learn, all communication is done at the line or after the snap by the QB making the read.

Saban must know that is the only darn play he will see until he has an answer for it.

The picks and fumbles upset me. The first was all on AJ, the second was shared with Coop who could have stepped into the ball. Three plays before the fumble I was screaming at the TV for Yeldon to put two hands on the ball when entering the pile.

I heard rumors that some, notably Hubbard, were showboating for NFL scouts and were blowing their assignments. If there is any truth to that, this has to stop. Nobody looked good and CK might have played so badly he needs to come back for a year.

The upside is that we have a remarkably young team this year. In retrospect we can say it was a rebuilding year. Lets see what the recruiting gods bring us and how spring training looks. Roll Tide!

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
Well, Drake's benching obviously has more to do with fumbling. Not sure what he did to get suspended earlier in the year but am guessing he's done more of the same.

Guys, I don't know what to think. I honestly don't see us changing our philosophy much. I mean, what has Saban changed before. It'll be back to the basics but with more competition in the spring. These guys are my boys but something has been missing all year. Is what it is. But we'll be back. We likely would have been a preseason top three next year with a win. Probably now in the 6-7 range. Doesn't matter. The secondary is still going to be a work in progress but there's a lot of young talent up front that should improve. But, I'm looking at some sort of shake up on the OL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.