Surprising Coaching changes

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Belle what's the mood like in Troy over this? I think he did y'all pretty dirty. He would have been more successful at Henderson than Central. He'll get better athletes year in and year out in Phenix City, but in 7A he wont be winning no titles there any time soon. At least in Troy he had a shot to get a few rings.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Belle what's the mood like in Troy over this? I think he did y'all pretty dirty. He would have been more successful at Henderson than Central. He'll get better athletes year in and year out in Phenix City, but in 7A he wont be winning no titles there any time soon. At least in Troy he had a shot to get a few rings.
Color everyone COMPLETELY shocked. I was with our starting QB (my daughter's bf) when he got the news from a teammate who saw it on Twitter. NOT COOL. Looks like Dubose has lived up to all the rumors about his character--he is a slimy, dirty man of ZERO character. He cares nothing about the student athlete--just the MONEY and the accolades he gets from being the coach. I heard yesterday that he had the deal set in stone back in April but C-PC had to wait to let Lowe go. He is going into a program that doesn't want him so I hope that the karma he receives is vicious. However, the folks at Central don't need to get to attached to him because if Vestavia's coach retires, that is where he will be next. After the initial shock wore off and we started hearing details, it became apparent that this was probably a Blessing in disguise. I feel like we will do a complete 180 with the next hire and just promote from within. It's not worth hurting the kids again with some "hot shot" coach who doesn't want to be there. Sorry to all you C-PC fans but I hope he loses every game next year!!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I figured you would feel that way and you guys have every right to feel that way. That was some low down stuff IMHO. That move shafted Henderson as now they have to start over this close to the season. Its been a wild year coaching wise for sure!

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 4G

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Bart Sessions decides to step down as McGill-Toolen's head coach. He'll be replaced by Caleb Ross. Continuing with the theme of this thread, Ross was Jamey Dubose's OC at Prattville. Link

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Heard the Daleville coach got it (or former coach one). Don't know enough about him to say one way or another, but if it was between him and Sessions I would have went Sessions quick. Daleville has churned out some good teams though so something is working down that way.

I still wonder why Sessions left McGill without another job lined up? I think he will find a job but McGill seems to be a pretty good job.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Heard the Daleville coach got it (or former coach one). Don't know enough about him to say one way or another, but if it was between him and Sessions I would have went Sessions quick. Daleville has churned out some good teams though so something is working down that way.

I still wonder why Sessions left McGill without another job lined up? I think he will find a job but McGill seems to be a pretty good job.
Story here

He resigned from Daleville in April.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Thanks!

I have to wonder after reading the story though:

He will also serve as CHHS's athletic director, inheriting a program that won a baseball state title and reached the state semifinals in girls baseball this past season.
What is girls baseball?:tongue:

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Bart Sessions left McGill (Catholic School) because he is on the heels of a divorce. According to sources, McGill doesn't allow employees to be divorced. He also has a temperament similar to Mike Dean (that had nothing to do with him leaving, that was strictly the divorce). Not sure what made the difference in hiring McCoy instead of Sessions as both were former employees of our Superintendent when he was at Prattville. I think the fact that McCoy is a family man may have had something to do with it. Also, he may be less crazy than Sessions. haha. Lord knows we have had our share of CRAZY with Dean and Dubose so we are hoping this guy can get the job done. Could have also been an issue of money. Easier to pay someone coming out of a smaller system into a larger one than to have someone come out of 7A down to 5A. At this point, as long as our players like him and he can motivate them and GAIN THEIR TRUST, I am all for him. I have lots of friends who know him and say nothing but positive things. It can't get any worse than it is now. :)

That should say GIRLS BASKETBALL. We made the final 4.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Bart Sessions decides to step down as McGill-Toolen's head coach. He'll be replaced by Caleb Ross. Continuing with the theme of this thread, Ross was Jamey Dubose's OC at Prattville. Link
Ross was head coach at Thompson for one year. He walked in and quit one day without warning. This was after the booster club gave him a big bonus.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Bart Sessions left McGill (Catholic School) because he is on the heels of a divorce. According to sources, McGill doesn't allow employees to be divorced.
That would explain it then. That also explains why he would quit without another job and just the "I resigned for no reason other than to keep coaching" excuse he gave the paper. I wonder what tuition is for McGill? I know UMS is outrageous!!

Ross was head coach at Thompson for one year. He walked in and quit one day without warning. This was after the booster club gave him a big bonus.
Dang that's pretty dirty! I could kind of understand it though because coaching at Thompson was tough at the time with everyone in the region they played.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
McGill is 5 figures a year. I think Sessions thought he was a shoe-in for our job but it was obvious that it would have been a stepping stone for something bigger in a short amount of time and that is just not what we were looking for.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
That would explain it then. That also explains why he would quit without another job and just the "I resigned for no reason other than to keep coaching" excuse he gave the paper. I wonder what tuition is for McGill? I know UMS is outrageous!!

Dang that's pretty dirty! I could kind of understand it though because coaching at Thompson was tough at the time with everyone in the region they played.
It has been a mess there for years. It will be worse this fall with the move to 7A and going back into a region with Hoover and the other powers. They need to blow the program up and start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Won't the Helena school hurt too or did they just pull from Pelham?

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 4G
The new Helena High School (opening this fall) was carved out of Pelham High School and both will be either 5A or 6A.

Alabaster started their own school system last year so only Alabaster residents will be attending Thompson. It is possible some Helena residents were zoned for Thompson when they were in the Shelby County system, but there couldn't have been too many. There was a grandfather clause to let non city residents stay, but it runs out in a few years.

Also, Pelham is starting their own system this fall.

Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions about it.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Thompson will be 7A, Pelham stays in 6A, and Helena is 5A. I imagine the next re-class Helena would be 6A too more than likely.

Seems like a lot are jumping ship from the Shelby County Schools, I wonder why? They in that bad of shape?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think placing Pelham and Helena may have been guesswork since there was no actual attendance data from the schools to go on other than what the old Pelham school had.

For Alabaster I think it was mainly a matter of wanting more local control. It really didn't matter to me as my son (an only child) will be a senior next year so any major changes won't be seen for several years. We are going to get a new Thompson HS building so that is a good thing as they will be able to close the old intermediate building (after everyone else moves around) as it is too small for its purposes.

I think Pelham just decided to play follow the leader when we left. The same guy who did our feasibility did theirs. Both times he said we had the money to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if a few other Shelby systems bail in the next few years. I personally didn't have a huge problem with Shelby County Schools but so far the change seems to have been a good thing. I hop it increases my property value.

As you probably know, in Alabama there are a lot of city school systems in small towns. We hired our superintendent from Saraland.

There is a neighborhood in Pelham that is currently zoned for Chelsea schools that is trying to get deannexed from Pelham so they won't have the long drive to Pelham schools.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.