Surprising Coaching changes - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Surprising Coaching changes

Bart Sessions decides to step down as McGill-Toolen's head coach. He'll be replaced by Caleb Ross. Continuing with the theme of this thread, Ross was Jamey Dubose's OC at Prattville. Link
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar

We should have a new coach by 7:15am. Bart Sessions interviewed for it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

Heard the Daleville coach got it (or former coach one). Don't know enough about him to say one way or another, but if it was between him and Sessions I would have went Sessions quick. Daleville has churned out some good teams though so something is working down that way.

I still wonder why Sessions left McGill without another job lined up? I think he will find a job but McGill seems to be a pretty good job.

Quote Originally Posted by 230kv_barehand View Post
    Heard the Daleville coach got it (or former coach one). Don't know enough about him to say one way or another, but if it was between him and Sessions I would have went Sessions quick. Daleville has churned out some good teams though so something is working down that way.

I still wonder why Sessions left McGill without another job lined up? I think he will find a job but McGill seems to be a pretty good job.
    Story here

He resigned from Daleville in April.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Thanks!

I have to wonder after reading the story though:

He will also serve as CHHS's athletic director, inheriting a program that won a baseball state title and reached the state semifinals in girls baseball this past season.
    What is girls baseball?

Bart Sessions left McGill (Catholic School) because he is on the heels of a divorce. According to sources, McGill doesn't allow employees to be divorced. He also has a temperament similar to Mike Dean (that had nothing to do with him leaving, that was strictly the divorce). Not sure what made the difference in hiring McCoy instead of Sessions as both were former employees of our Superintendent when he was at Prattville. I think the fact that McCoy is a family man may have had something to do with it. Also, he may be less crazy than Sessions. haha. Lord knows we have had our share of CRAZY with Dean and Dubose so we are hoping this guy can get the job done. Could have also been an issue of money. Easier to pay someone coming out of a smaller system into a larger one than to have someone come out of 7A down to 5A. At this point, as long as our players like him and he can motivate them and GAIN THEIR TRUST, I am all for him. I have lots of friends who know him and say nothing but positive things. It can't get any worse than it is now.

That should say GIRLS BASKETBALL. We made the final 4.
    Last edited by bamabelle1991; June 12th, 2014 at 05:51 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Bart Sessions decides to step down as McGill-Toolen's head coach. He'll be replaced by Caleb Ross. Continuing with the theme of this thread, Ross was Jamey Dubose's OC at Prattville. Link
    Ross was head coach at Thompson for one year. He walked in and quit one day without warning. This was after the booster club gave him a big bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by bamabelle1991 View Post
    Bart Sessions left McGill (Catholic School) because he is on the heels of a divorce. According to sources, McGill doesn't allow employees to be divorced.
    That would explain it then. That also explains why he would quit without another job and just the "I resigned for no reason other than to keep coaching" excuse he gave the paper. I wonder what tuition is for McGill? I know UMS is outrageous!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Ross was head coach at Thompson for one year. He walked in and quit one day without warning. This was after the booster club gave him a big bonus.
    Dang that's pretty dirty! I could kind of understand it though because coaching at Thompson was tough at the time with everyone in the region they played.

McGill is 5 figures a year. I think Sessions thought he was a shoe-in for our job but it was obvious that it would have been a stepping stone for something bigger in a short amount of time and that is just not what we were looking for.

That would explain it then. That also explains why he would quit without another job and just the "I resigned for no reason other than to keep coaching" excuse he gave the paper. I wonder what tuition is for McGill? I know UMS is outrageous!!

Dang that's pretty dirty! I could kind of understand it though because coaching at Thompson was tough at the time with everyone in the region they played.
    It has been a mess there for years. It will be worse this fall with the move to 7A and going back into a region with Hoover and the other powers. They need to blow the program up and start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Won't the Helena school hurt too or did they just pull from Pelham?

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 4G
    I need you out there slinging coconuts and pineapples!

Won't the Helena school hurt too or did they just pull from Pelham?

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 4G
    The new Helena High School (opening this fall) was carved out of Pelham High School and both will be either 5A or 6A.

Alabaster started their own school system last year so only Alabaster residents will be attending Thompson. It is possible some Helena residents were zoned for Thompson when they were in the Shelby County system, but there couldn't have been too many. There was a grandfather clause to let non city residents stay, but it runs out in a few years.

Also, Pelham is starting their own system this fall.

Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions about it.

Thompson will be 7A, Pelham stays in 6A, and Helena is 5A. I imagine the next re-class Helena would be 6A too more than likely.

Seems like a lot are jumping ship from the Shelby County Schools, I wonder why? They in that bad of shape?