Surprising Coaching changes - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Re: Surprising Coaching changes

I think placing Pelham and Helena may have been guesswork since there was no actual attendance data from the schools to go on other than what the old Pelham school had.

For Alabaster I think it was mainly a matter of wanting more local control. It really didn't matter to me as my son (an only child) will be a senior next year so any major changes won't be seen for several years. We are going to get a new Thompson HS building so that is a good thing as they will be able to close the old intermediate building (after everyone else moves around) as it is too small for its purposes.

I think Pelham just decided to play follow the leader when we left. The same guy who did our feasibility did theirs. Both times he said we had the money to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if a few other Shelby systems bail in the next few years. I personally didn't have a huge problem with Shelby County Schools but so far the change seems to have been a good thing. I hop it increases my property value.

As you probably know, in Alabama there are a lot of city school systems in small towns. We hired our superintendent from Saraland.

There is a neighborhood in Pelham that is currently zoned for Chelsea schools that is trying to get deannexed from Pelham so they won't have the long drive to Pelham schools.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

Yes on Helena they have to estimate much like they did with the new school in Montgomery. They generally get pretty close to real numbers in their estimations. Of course you will probably have quite a few move ins that the estimation wont pick up so I figure after all of that Helena will move up for sure in 2 years when they re-classify.

I don't blame them, crap it can take a good 30 minutes to get from Pelham to Chelsea when traffic is bad. Sometimes longer than that! When I first got into line work we started in Pelham and worked in the surrounding towns and it would take us a good 30 minutes to get from Food World on 31 in Pelham to County Road 11!

As far as I know they are still in Pelham. Given that they'd have to provide bus service for these people, I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to let them go. Yes, they'd lose tax revenue, but they'd also no longer be providing police and fire service.

It would be much simpler driving to Chelsea HS than having to get to Pelham HS (which is a pain coming from anywhere).

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar

A little late but Hewitt-Trussville hired a Gus Malzhan protege Josh Floyd. He had a 99-21 record at Shiloh Christian Ark. but in don't think it's will be as easy for him in Alabama. Especially with Hoover in his region.

http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/...s-7a/#comments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Is he related to Mike Dubose?
    They are cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by 230kv_barehand View Post
    Wow he really got around! I knew he moved around but I didn't even know he roamed that much. I don't see him surviving MGM, it is a lot like Robertsdale in that it will swallow up even good coaches! Just can't win there with the teams you have to play. With MGM moving up to 7A he will be an unknown before you know it. He might be paid well for it but I just don't see them putting up with it for too long.
    He didn't.

12comments

Football

Mary G. Montgomery relieves Mike Dean of football coaching duties effective immediately

Mike Dean was 3-6 in his only season at Mary G. Montgomery. (Scott Donaldson | preps@al.com)

By Ben Thomas | bthomas@al.com
    on October 30, 2014 2:31 p.m.
    No code has to be inserted here.

SEMMES, Alabama -- Mary G. Montgomery principal James Gill confirmed to AL.com Thursday afternoon that he has relieved football coach Mike Dean of his coaching duties effective immediately.
    Defensive coordinator Tim Hardegree has been elevated to interim head coach and will coach the team in its season finale Friday night at Vigor.
    "We decided to make the change this afternoon," Gill said. "We wanted to take the program in a different direction. There was a difference in philosophy on coaching so we wanted to go ahead and make this change."
    http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/...cart_hssn-rr-1

I knew it.

There must have been something pretty bad going on. I mean, firing a coach the morning of the last game of the season?

Crimson I've heard some stories about him that I've never doubted by the way, and if you would have heard it you would say "that's him". He'll NEVER stay at one school. Until these gullible principals quit falling for his act only then will he stay on as a teacher at one school. I think his wife is about to tell him to give up coaching which won't work either (she is from that area I think).

There is NO WAY I would hire the dude.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    As a Prattville student while DuBose was there, I can tell you what will happen: He will lose at least one game a year he shouldn't. He'll also bolt after a short time. He was HC at Prattville for 3 years and at Florence for 2. At both stops, he had elite D-1 talent and left the following year.
    I told Belle in January DuBose would lose a game he shouldn't. He did that this past weekend against Prattville. They lost 26-7 at home after beating Prattville 42-34 at Prattville earlier in the season.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

He's been known to do that but I think he'll have Central where they haven't been in a while in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by 230kv_barehand View Post
    He's been known to do that but I think he'll have Central where they haven't been in a while in a few years.
    He does it every year. With all the D1 talent he had at Prattville, Florence, and CPC, he continues to not be as good as he could be.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson