Surprising Coaching changes
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

Surprising Coaching changes

Stacy Luker won 5 state titles at Sweet Water and seems to be retiring from the Alabama system and has taken a job a Neshoba Central in Mississippi. One thing is for sure, they are getting one good coach!

Also Chris Smelley is supposedly taking the job to be Head Coach at American Christian in Tuscaloosa where he played.

2. Advertisement

Re: Surprising Coaching changes

Quote Originally Posted by 230kv_barehand View Post
    Stacy Luker won 5 state titles at Sweet Water and seems to be retiring from the Alabama system and has taken a job a Neshoba Central in Mississippi. One thing is for sure, they are getting one good coach!

Also Chris Smelley is supposedly taking the job to be Head Coach at American Christian in Tuscaloosa where he played.
    I forget, but who was ACA's coach the last few years, and did he move on to another HC job? Wasn't he a former player at UA?
    "If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them." - As Candidus in the Boston Gazette, January 20, 1772

Jamey Dubose just resigned at Florence to take the Charles Henderson job. He goes from Prattville (6A) to Florence (6A) to Charles Henderson (4A).
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar

We have moved back to 5A. We are also very excited to be rid of our former Coach, the psychotic Mike Dean and we welcome Coach Dubose! It is a very exciting time for our school!

Quote Originally Posted by bamabelle1991 View Post
    We have moved back to 5A. We are also very excited to be rid of our former Coach, the psychotic Mike Dean and we welcome Coach Dubose! It is a very exciting time for our school!
    As a Prattville student while DuBose was there, I can tell you what will happen: He will lose at least one game a year he shouldn't. He'll also bolt after a short time. He was HC at Prattville for 3 years and at Florence for 2. At both stops, he had elite D-1 talent and left the following year.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    As a Prattville student while DuBose was there, I can tell you what will happen: He will lose at least one game a year he shouldn't. He'll also bolt after a short time. He was HC at Prattville for 3 years and at Florence for 2. At both stops, he had elite D-1 talent and left the following year.
    We are losing a good bit of the talent that got us to the 4A state championship game, but we have a 3rd year starting QB and a 4* LB who is being recruited by Bama, Auburn, Kentucky and a few other schools, several running backs and some good receivers coming back. He actually can BUILD a program if he will stay put for a few years. The challenge will be getting kids who quit because of Mike Dean to come back. We could be a contender next year as well if the kids buy in. Dubose has many friends in Troy and his boss in Prattville will be his boss here. I would be grateful for 2 years of Dubose after the hell our kids and parents went through with Dean. If he has ever had the desire to BUILD a program, he is in a great place to do it.

BamaNation All-American

Jamey Dubose just resigned at Florence to take the Charles Henderson job. He goes from Prattville (6A) to Florence (6A) to Charles Henderson (4A).
    That was VERY surprising, but he had a history with the AD or principal there. From what I hear though I would NEVER take a job in Troy or Pike County period. I think Dubose screwed up, Troy will expect him to win big right away where Florence would have kept him forever after what he done this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot30 View Post
    I forget, but who was ACA's coach the last few years, and did he move on to another HC job? Wasn't he a former player at UA?
    John Causey

That was VERY surprising, but he had a history with the AD or principal there. From what I hear though I would NEVER take a job in Troy or Pike County period. I think Dubose screwed up, Troy will expect him to win big right away where Florence would have kept him forever after what he done this year.
    The Pike County superintendent was PHS's principal while Dubose was there.

Belle, I can tell you folks won't be thrilled about Dubose after a few seasons. I doubt he stays that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -- Coach Bryant

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

LOL That's a good one belle. There are some crappy coaches out there.

John Causey
    I'm curious. Why wouldn't you take a job in Troy at CHHS?

We had a winning program under an mentally unstable head coach so one with more mental stability should be a blessing. haha.

The Pike County superintendent was PHS's principal while Dubose was there.

Belle, I can tell you folks won't be thrilled about Dubose after a few seasons. I doubt he stays that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually, Troy City Schools superintendent was principal at Prattville when Dubose was there. Pike County's Superintendent is Mark Bazzell.

Jamey's home is the wiregrass area, so I don't have any reason to believe he will bolt unless he is unsuccessful. His college roommates and best friends are here. If he leaves quickly it will be because he can't do anything with our program. I'm very involved with athletics here. I serve on the board of our Athletic Foundation and Sports Boosters. My husband is a volunteer assistant varsity baseball coach. There is great community support here. The Dubose family has many friends here so it should be a smooth transition. Mike Dean resisted EVERY effort of outreach and refused to get involved in the community. He made himself an outcast by acting like a complete idiot in public. He has a very anti-social personality and offended and shunned people every time he turned around. He would not allow people to help him or befriend him. He ended up biting the hand that fed him, so to speak, which ultimately led to his resigning. It was a real blessing to have him leave. I don't care how much you win, if you care nothing about the people you are leading, then your efforts are worthless. All the bashing of our school and our town he has done in the papers shows a man who is unstable and bitter. I feel sorry for the kids at Mary Montgomery HS who now have to endure his presence. If I was a parent, I would be concerned and would not want this man within 10 feet of my children.

Belle coaches talk, it's like a gossip circle honestly. Troy does NOT have a good name behind it with the coaches, it was the same way when Wayne Grant was winning big in Brundidge as well.

We'll find out for sure now though because they got a homerun hire in Dubose IMHO.

The Dean situation was very odd to say the least. The things he said on his way out in the media was crazy! I'm not taking sides as I don't know Troy or Dean but that was just weird.

Belle coaches talk, it's like a gossip circle honestly. Troy does NOT have a good name behind it with the coaches, it was the same way when Wayne Grant was winning big in Brundidge as well.

We'll find out for sure now though because they got a homerun hire in Dubose IMHO.

The Dean situation was very odd to say the least. The things he said on his way out in the media was crazy! I'm not taking sides as I don't know Troy or Dean but that was just weird.
    Well, we kept a mediocre coach for 19 years because people liked his family. We also live in the shadow of Larry Blakeney--keep it down home, cuz. He finally gave a CHHS football player a scholarship this year--a kid that honestly blossomed too late. He could play at ANY D-1 powerhouse.

The whole Dean situation is like the Twilight Zone, much like his personality. If you would like the whole story, because Lawd knows it needs to be out there, PM me. I can tell you exactly how it went down because I was a part of it. Still bamboozled, but so glad he is gone!

I hope that Jamey can change whatever negative "coach press" we have. We are around coaches a lot, and yes, they gossip. Haha! Makes us mama's and coaches wives look good! Seriously, there are always some awesome stories to be told. Anyway, We are nothing like Pike Co. and Wayne Grant--he was coaching the private school here until they canned him. CHHS hasn't "won big" since this year but I believe that was because we had talented kids and good ASST. coaches. We have a very active support system, including an Athletic Foundation that raised $75K last year for athletics.