*** DL OJ Smith Gets Full Offer, Signs With Alabama ***

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Grades have been rumoured for awhile, and sounds like they want to create an alterior motive for him not signing with the good guys. They have reached out to other schools.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Re: Latest OJ Smith interview makes me think he won't sign

Grades have been rumoured for awhile, and sounds like they want to create an alterior motive for him not signing with the good guys. They have reached out to other schools.
RTO, who is the THEY ​to which you refer?

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003

Could also be related to other DTs we have coming in, plus a commit from a good DT for the 2015 class as well.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

FWIW, Saban has an in-home visit with him scheduled for tonight, so there doesn't appear to be any reduction in interest on our end.

Smith has been looking around a bit, though. Kind of hard to believe that's not somehow related to academics. He may be looking somewhere else for a sign-and-place that will be more committal to giving him a scholarship post-JUCO.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Won't qualify academically for Alabama. Is definitely signing with Miss St. Will more than likely be two more besides him that don't make it academically

Last edited:

Bamabirdie

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2013
Sunny South Florida

Won't qualify academically for Alabama. Is definitely signing with Miss St. Will more than likely be two more besides him that don't make it academically
Please clarify for the less informed: are Bama's academic standards more stringent than other SEC schools? I though the Conference standards were all the same.
Also, is Bo one of the other two casualties you're predicting? That would be a huge loss.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Please clarify for the less informed: are Bama's academic standards more stringent than other SEC schools? I though the Conference standards were all the same.
Also, is Bo one of the other two casualties you're predicting? That would be a huge loss.
Great question. Was wondering the same thing, but the information I have is that he won't qualify academically for Bama. And that he's definitely signing or sign/place with MSU.

Regarding who the other two are, I don't know exactly who those two are. Bo, shockingly, seems to be on track to be here. Paint me surprised, but IMG works wonders.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Great question. Was wondering the same thing, but the information I have is that he won't qualify academically for Bama. And that he's definitely signing or sign/place with MSU.

Regarding who the other two are, I don't know exactly who those two are. Bo, shockingly, seems to be on track to be here. Paint me surprised, but IMG works wonders.
He was talking about Mullen stopping by earlier today.
Do you think the other two that won't qualify will still sign by NSD, or do you expect them to flip as well?

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

All schools have in the sec have about the same standards for athletes. If he can qualify for msu he can qualify at bama. His grades may be close and if it's truly a grade thing it's more likely that his grades are close enough to worry our staff but msu may be willing to wait it out and allow him to sign. This is a product of the hard 25 sign rule the sec adopted. Just can't take a chance on a guy and lose a spot in your class not anymore. The sec has no partial qualifiers anymore.

It it could also be a product of our dline class or his conditioning or who knows what else. Could even b that he really loves miss st. Whatever it is, as always he's not make or break obviously and we have more pressing concerns at the d line position when it comes to this class. I wish him well, reasonably well since he'll likely be in conference. If he sticks, best of luck I hope he makes it in and succeeds.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

All schools have in the sec have about the same standards for athletes. If he can qualify for msu he can qualify at bama. His grades may be close and if it's truly a grade thing it's more likely that his grades are close enough to worry our staff but msu may be willing to wait it out and allow him to sign.
The issue here really isn't qualification, and you are correct that all SEC schools have essentially the same admission standards for football signees (and that includes Vandy, despite what some people like to claim).

Again, the basic deal here is likely him trying to locate a school that will hold a spot for him in two years in the event he fails to qualify out of high school. There is no guarantee we will do that -- and we typically only re-sign JUCO kids based on our own need, though we do try to give some preference to past signees in close cases -- but that's not going to be a problem at a school like MSU or a similar program on that level. They'll take him now, hope that he qualifies, and will hold a spot for him if he doesn't.

In any event, as I said before, it's clear that there is no lack of interest with him on our end. We'd still very much like his signature, and we had an in-home visit with him last night trying to get him to stick.

Thankfully!!

Sent from my iPhone

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Well you literally can't get them all and CNS seems to always have a very good plan B. I'm confident that is the case here and wish OJ luck especially against AWbrens :)

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

FYI - BOL is reporting that OJ will not sign tomorrow.
Not a definite yet, but it's a possibility. At this point, I don't think anyone has the slightest idea as to what will happen, but if he doesn't sign with us tomorrow, obviously that portends bad things moving forward.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.