It's official - Russia enters Crimea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate Harris

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Belle Mina, AL
We've had a strategic interest in the security and independence of Europe from Russian dominance for a hundred years. Different name, same enemy. But don't worry. Obama has no interest in maintaining our influence. Russia will rise, we will diminish, and eventually we will all pay the price.

Oh, please.

We have never sent troops over there, ever! They've slaughtered and gulaged millions of people from all over the region since God knows how long ago. We have never done anything to step in and insure their independence from Russian dominance, not under any president.

The Soviets seized Ukraine in the 20's. We did squat. Then they seized all of Eastern Europe a generation later. We did squat. They sent tanks into Hungary in '56 and Czechoslovakia in '68. We did squat. Then there were the Czars, hardly any nicer to their neighbors than the Soviets. We never at any point had enough of a strategic interest to intervene militarily. There is no president of any kind who is going to send American troops over there today.

You're just talking.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Re: It's official - Russian enter Crimea

Oh, please.

We have never sent troops over there, ever! They've slaughtered and gulaged millions of people from all over the region since God knows how long ago. We have never done anything to step in and insure their independence from Russian dominance, not under any president.

The Soviets seized Ukraine in the 20's. We did squat. Then they seized all of Eastern Europe a generation later. We did squat. They sent tanks into Hungary in '56 and Czechoslovakia in '68. We did squat. Then there were the Czars, hardly any nicer to their neighbors than the Soviets. We never at any point had enough of a strategic interest to intervene militarily. There is no president of any kind who is going to send American troops over there today.

You're just talking.
Of course we aren't going to send troops. No one expects us to. But, you are about to see a new Axis form between Russia, China, Iran.....and a host of smaller allies pop up in regions all over the world.

The West is in the weakest overall position we've been in in nearly 80 years.....there isn't anyone that can stop it. My hope is that China decides not to risk their fragile economy built on US Manufacturing....

Not sure what is going to happen, but this isn't going to be a "this is not our problem" sort of thing. We are going to get in way over our heads pretty quickly.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

Yes, thanks for posting.
Originally Posted by Jon

Yes it is a good article, thank you Jon.

It is frustrating that we have to look for alternative sources to get the truth and pertinent facts rather than the MSM. I know many of you do but most Americans do not and we are saddled with those who vote in ignorance.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Everyone thinks we are too sophisticated to get into a conventional ground war. Russia is about to push us in the chest.....to see if we are man enough to push back.

My guess, we let the bully have our lunch money today. Tomorrow we will have a town hall meeting about how to stop bullying.
I doubt that it will be anywhere near that confrontational. It will be more like, "Hit me again Vlad and this time put some stank on it."

Our president has NO problem with what is going on. Look at every conflict during his term and tell me when he has NOT sided with the tyrants.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Of course we aren't going to send troops. No one expects us to. But, you are about to see a new Axis form between Russia, China, Iran.....and a host of smaller allies pop up in regions all over the world.

The West is in the weakest overall position we've been in in nearly 80 years.....there isn't anyone that can stop it. My hope is that China decides not to risk their fragile economy built on US Manufacturing....

Not sure what is going to happen, but this isn't going to be a "this is not our problem" sort of thing. We are going to get in way over our heads pretty quickly.
China could cripple us in a week by stopping all exports and dumping our currency. We are at their mercy.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

China could cripple us in a week by stopping all exports and dumping our currency. We are at their mercy.
that's a two sided coin -- if we quit buying their "stuff" -- we stop their cash flow instantly -- and then they have tens of millions of unemployed people.....

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

China is increasing it's gold reserves, dumping its stake in the US dollar and has a 3 to 1 trade advantage with the US. I'm not sure they'd be cutting their throats. Maybe shooting their big toe. But enough of China. Let's steer back to Russia and Ukraine.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Article on the Budapest Memorandum. For those who don't know, we, Russia and the UK signed this agreement in 1994 in return for Nuclear disarmament of Ukraine. At the time Ukraine had the 3rd largest nuclear stockpile so it is something that had to be done with a brand new nation on shaky legs. What is odd, to me about this is that the Russian's have been violating this for quite some time.

http://www.rferl.org/content/ukraine-explainer-budapest-memorandum/25280502.html

In the "Budapest Memorandum," Russia, the United Kingdom, and the United States promised that none of them would ever threaten or use force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine. They also pledged that none of them would ever use economic coercion to subordinate Ukraine to their own interest.

They specifically pledged they would refrain from making each other's territory the object of military occupation or engage in other uses of force in violation of international law.
Not sure when it started but I recall over the last decade hearing about Russia messing with the gas pipeline and gas prices in order to get Ukraine in line with what they want. Where have we, the UK and the international community been on this? We've done nothing, no wonder Putin thinks he can just send troops and take it over. Clearly they are in violation of this agreement now with the occupation but they've been ignoring it for a long time.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Yep. And as much as I am on Obama, Bush and Blair deserve as much credit for letting the Russian bear wake up as anyone. We've thought of the Russians as the broken down, weakened, former-enemy they were in 1992 for too long. They are back, and we need to realize it. Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.
complete agreement, we went to sleep on them. We should have slapped them Hard when they started monkeying with the Natural Gas flow into Ukraine

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Cuba is a much more important issue than what is happening in the Ukraine. We will not intervene militarily in that region, for any reason. Russia will take what it wants and the US, NATO and the EU will scream and holler, but that's about it...outside of some sanctions which will have minimal effects.
Cuba should be blockaded, Russia made to vacate immediately or we sink every Russian flagged vessel in the 'hood. They would not allow us to do anything similar in their neck of the woods, and they (and we) know it. Cuba should be the line in the sand; whether it will be or not remains to be seen.
Cuba will be Ol' Bama's legacy, or Waterloo. I'm thinking the latter, but we will see soon enough.
What I don't get is why some on here think we have the right to tell people what form of government they must have, whether they like it or not. Crimeans want Russian rule, that's no secret. Most of the rest of the Ukraine does not. Let Russia have Crimea, it's been theirs anyway. I don't think WW3 needs to erupt over this. Cuba is another story; call that snake-lookin' fool's bluff, or we will all be saying dosvedanya.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Well, no. But it sure would be nice if Obama could effect a decent bluff.
Are you serious? That's all he has done, BLUFF! He's a joke to these tyrants. Putin has already called his bluff multiple times. It will require action now but it won't be Obama in office before that happens. Just resign yourself to Russia dictating the world stage until then.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

Everyone thinks we are too sophisticated to get into a conventional ground war. Russia is about to push us in the chest.....to see if we are man enough to push back.

My guess, we let the bully have our lunch money today. Tomorrow we will have a town hall meeting about how to stop bullying.
You joke, but as I was watching CNN and FOX coverage of the situation yesterday, a topic of discussion on CNN was "Is Putin 'bullying' President Obama?" And the spirit of the discussion wasn't like Obama getting pushed around in political brinkmanship, but rather sympathy because he's unfairly getting picked on by mean ole pooty.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

The Ukrainians won't sit back and watch Russia take the Crimea. They will fight, and we will get drug into it. That's why projecting strength is so important. It's been said before, but the only way to maintain peace is to be prepared to go to war.
Well, I'm available, if called. I speak Russian (which I am proud to say I learned at the University of Alabama) and have been to Russia.
Unfortunately, I'd be more likely to be recalled if I was qualified to teach sexual harassment response and prevention, Consideration of Others (CO2), or other "critical military skills" the current regime seems to believe are important.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Article on the Budapest Memorandum. For those who don't know, we, Russia and the UK signed this agreement in 1994 in return for Nuclear disarmament of Ukraine. At the time Ukraine had the 3rd largest nuclear stockpile so it is something that had to be done with a brand new nation on shaky legs. What is odd, to me about this is that the Russian's have been violating this for quite some time.

http://www.rferl.org/content/ukraine-explainer-budapest-memorandum/25280502.html

Not sure when it started but I recall over the last decade hearing about Russia messing with the gas pipeline and gas prices in order to get Ukraine in line with what they want. Where have we, the UK and the international community been on this? We've done nothing, no wonder Putin thinks he can just send troops and take it over. Clearly they are in violation of this agreement now with the occupation but they've been ignoring it for a long time.
Wait, are you implying that a former KGB guy would not scrupulously honor an agreement he entered into?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.