Malaysia Airlines loses contact with passenger jet

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

I do understand "per passenger mile" can be misleading for many reasons. But, still, planes are still overall the safest way to travel long distances.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
wonder what the casualty rate is though when comparing auto accidents to plane accidents. what percent of plane trips are deadly compared to the percent of automobiles traveling trips that turn deadly. you are much more likely of being killed of course in a plane crash. i never understood the "safest way to travel" statement.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
wonder what the casualty rate is though when comparing auto accidents to plane accidents. what percent of plane trips are deadly compared to the percent of automobiles traveling trips that turn deadly. you are much more likely of being killed of course in a plane crash. i never understood the "safest way to travel" statement.
OK, if you want to go from Atlanta to New Orleans, what do you believe is the safest way to get there?

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Back to the topic:
Any news about the flight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Interpol investigating four more suspect passports on top of the two already identified. And military radar reveals that the plane may have turned around prior to vanishing.

Link

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
All this shows is how easy it is to monkey with statistics. If you happen to be on the one plane out of a million that crashes, you are probably screwed. But over all, planes are safer any day.
What it shows is its not simple to compare air travel to wheeled vehicle travel. Per mile? Planes fly 10x faster so it skews to them. Per trip? You can't take a plane to the grocery, where its unlikely you'd reach a speed that could result in a fatality. Same with buses.
Fatality rate per hour traveled inter-city would probably be the way to look at it. The key is a consistent basis. That's why gun fatality rates of US vs. Country X gets skewed.

Last edited:

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
So at 30,000+ feet, a plane disintegrates so no wreckage can be found?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...
That conclusion seems a little premature to me. It took a couple of days to find AF447 debris.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
What it shows is its not simple to compare air travel to wheeled vehicle travel.
I agree. People travel in planes for different reasons. Very few people/travelers actually have to choose between flying and driving.
But, if just evaluating which is safest, if you fly from New York to LA, your chances of arriving there alive are greater than if you drive from NY to LA.
Even if not, there are very very few people that get injured in plane crashes. You either die, or you don't crash. If you are not only concerned about surviving - that is, if you factored in broken bones, brain damage, getting paralyzed, etc., cars would come out as being more dangerous since those injuries virtually never happen with planes - again, you either die, or you don't crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.